What an EQ pedel does is riases or lowersyour highs, lows and mids. I use one myself and it really helps get some great tones.
It's essentially the same thing as the middle, high (aka treble), and low (aka bass) settings on your amp with some added flexibility depending on how many bands you get.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Bassically, each slider will set the limit on the levels of each frequency band going through your amp.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
I feel that eq pedals shape your tone the most out of any pedal.
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
EQ pedals tend to be a lot more sensitive than the EQ on your amp. If you're looking to shape your tone more than you can now, look into one.
Quote by cokeisbetter
EQ pedals tend to be a lot more sensitive than the EQ on your amp. If you're looking to shape your tone more than you can now, look into one.

hmm, good point. thanks...
ty too me llamo juan
na, Especially if you are using distortion as your eq sounds better post gain. Also, say you want a good metal sound without scooping out your mids completely and sounding typical and dull. Roll the mids off on your amp and give your mids a boost on your eq pedal, gives you a different sound, pretty cool. Or the other way around, basically it just gives you infinite possibilities to tweak your tone, I suggest getting one, although definately not necessary
I'm hungry.