How did you learn to play the guitar? Self taught or with a teacher?

As for me, I'm learning with a teacher. I started out by myself though. (Still not very good though eheh...)
Im self taught. Which is a shame cos i know very little theory really, just a few scales. I want lessons still but there expensive.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
When i was about twelve untill i was fourteen i took lessons but like most kids i had a short attention span and gave it up. Now I'm 18 and have tried to teach my self since August and i was waaay better when i was a kid, wish i never gave it up. You learn so much faster with lessons.
I took lessons for the first year and a bit until my guitar teachers dad passed away. Since then Ive been self taught although I know quite a bit of theory. I play guitar in the jazz band so I need to know stuff.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I learned guitar under a teacher for a year.

Since then, I'm self-taught, but I've been playing for a few years in ensembles under coaches or teachers. So, while I'm not getting one-on-one guitar instruction, I'm still learning some things about playing in an ensemble.

If we include theory, I learn some on my own, but most from teachers.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
A teacher. Still. Even though they're more like jam sessions haha.

EHDEET: Well, what I should say, is I'm both. Self taught because I'm constantly reading theory, learning and playing it. Then I go to lessons once a week learning even MORE.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at Mar 20, 2007,
Apart from a few lessons I've had with a bedroom shredder "teacher", i'm self taught. Most people will argue to get a teacher, but i think learning without it ok as long as you have a reliable source of information to teach yourself, and not leave out theory.
Me take lessons from good teacher. He show me theory stuff. Me show self theory stuff at home. So, its good. And sometimes he has a sub who comes in and just shows me songs, which is fun. Me in caveman mood today.
"Isn't it amazing anything's accomplished
When the little sensation gets in your way
Not one ambition whisperin' over your shoulder
Isn't it amazing you can do anything " - Gord Downie

From the song " Fireworks"
While lessons are very effective, I know, I prefer self-teaching. I've been serious about 8 months or so, and I'm all ready developing my own style of play. Self-teaching leaves almost no influence on who i sound like.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Play Meshuggah. It is the solution.
learned on my own for about 2 months, which was nice just to mess around on guitar, learn riffs, become fluid with it, then i started lessons, and from day one of my lessons ive learned theory, and really all my teacher has done is shown me doorways, taught me the basics on them, and let me run nuts with the stuff, then come back to things 2 months later and give me a couple advanced riffs

hes done that with legato, tapping, sweeping, and string skipping

its nice, it lets me choose how i wanna get to where i wanna be, and what level i wanna be at with things
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Self-taught, been playing for a year. I've never had a teacher, so I've nothing to compare it to, but my progress is quite goodfor a first year. It's where I want to be at least, and it should only increase.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
self taught at first, then teacher when I was ready to learn.
self taught all the way. ive been playing for a year now and do pantera and dragonforce and metallica and gnr and kiss and all that good stuff. im not a big fan of poeple telling you how to do something, giving you a guideline to follow and only showing you the way they know. i taught my self 100% and i have a unique style. i recently dide voodoo child at school, i played with my teeth, behind my head, and unside down (aka over the deck) and poeple were impressed. especially when i said i had only been playing a year. guitar stores are usually impressed to when you do stuff like no boundaries by michael angelo...ane they are like sweet...how long you been playing..idk..11 months about. usually they are impressed. found few people that arent. bi-ah! i wish i knew how to upload my stuff on to the computer, ive written a few songs that are really cool, recorded them on audacity, but the mp3 lame encoder thingy wont work
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Im entirely self-taught, and one of the best guitarists in my school if i may be allowed to say so myself. I've been playing electric guitar for only about a year and 8 months, but i had been playing acoustic for about 2-ish years before that.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬