Why are they so disliked? Isn't the only diff in the paintjob? Also is the reason faded SG's are bad is because they are special series? Cause im thinking about gettin a faded flyin V cause of good sound, $400 savings, and it cool looks
90% of the teen population listens to rap. If you're part of the 10% who listens to REAL music, copy and paste this into your sig.
The faded Gibsons are the cheaper ones, and for the most part the lower quality Gibsons. You're really just paying for the name.
I own a '03 Faded Les Paul Special, with the humbuckers. I couldn't be more happier with it, it feels and (in my opinion) looks great, and isn't that heavy. Not to mention I picked it up used for an ace $200.

Most of the faded's I have played have been great guitars, even though they are moderatly cheap they still are somewhat overpriced, new that is. I think they get a bad rep, or are disliked because of the faded quality. To some people, that can be uncomfortable to play, for others like myself can enjoy it.

The guy above me is correct, you are paying for a name in a certain sense, like I said they are still somewhat overpriced. But if you can find a used one like I did, and you dig it, by all means go for it. Otherwise, it may not hurt to look elsewhere for a guitar in the same pricerange, not to say the Gibson is going to be garbage though.
A lot of them are disliked because of the poor quality control.
Generally they all sound great, but some are absolute shit and not worth the price and some are really nice.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
I own a Faded SG and I like it better than most of the more expensive ones. The stock pickups imo, are a little weak, but that's probably just because of what I play on it, so I swapped them out for the EMG ZW set, it sounds awesome. I've yet to find a better sounding guitar than mine.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i played a couple of the faded gibsons at guitar center they played and sounded great they just dont look as good as gibsons other models
i own a gibson faded flying v, and i think its sounds great. be sure you check EVERYTHING on the guitar before you buy it though
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
Faded guitars are usually lower quality.

However, the Faded Vs are amazing. When I picked up a standard at Guitar Center a few months after I got my V, it felt and played like a toy.

Get the Faded V.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
where did you hear that they were so disliked? There is nothing wrong with them, aside from the fact that most kids can't afford them them so they run them down.
i cant stress this enough, theyre made of the same wood and components in Nashville just like all the others, they just skimp on binding, flame tops, or solid paint jobs in general, and its a great guitar, even when gibson does this to pass savings on to consumers ppl bitch and claim your paying for the name, if they sold LP standards for $300 someone would still bitch on this forum
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
i played a faded sg last week at gc and i thought it was a pos. maybe you ppl got nice ones but the one i played was terrible.
you just have to think what you are mainly paying for in a guitar. ie the name, fancy finish,nice pups etc. for fadeds you are paying for the name
and a shit guitar
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
ugh, IMO, they just look like utter shit in person, and the finishes get messed up sooooo easily. ( I've had experience with quite a few)

The stock pickups are lame, you're getting a low quality instrument at a Gibson price.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by dertjoe
i cant stress this enough, theyre made of the same wood and components in Nashville just like all the others, they just skimp on binding, flame tops, or solid paint jobs in general, and its a great guitar, even when gibson does this to pass savings on to consumers ppl bitch and claim your paying for the name, if they sold LP standards for $300 someone would still bitch on this forum

Well, even if you do save a lot they still msrp for like $900-$1000 right? I got my LP Studio for $1100..

Yeah I'm pretty sure no one would complain about a Gibson LP Standard being $300 if it were still the same quality.
they are lower quality. its better to save your money and buy better. you really are just paying for the name. gibsons are stupidly expensive though. i dont play gibsons because they cost so much my friend has a faded sg, its ok for him...but i dnt really like it. i dont like strats either. TELES ALL THE WAY!!!
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
I think the faded look is awsome personally

Really makes it looks like a fine piece of craftmenship.
"Only the dead have seen the end of the war..."
Quote by ozzie987
I think the faded look is awsome personally

Really makes it looks like a fine piece of craftmenship.

The SGs look cool, but the LPs look like crap imo. Probably because the colors for the faded LPs suck.
I just ughh, hate the faded. They just look and specially feel like shit, i really feel like im going to get splintered or something and the pups are not shit but they're not really great imo.

Much better stuff for the price.
The faded series is identical to the standard or special, whichever it mimics. The difference is during quality control Gibson will take the wood with minor aesthetic defects and brand them to the faded series.

To put it simply, you may pay less for a dented can of soup at the super market despite the product itself still in good condition. That is what you are getting with the faded series.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
I own a faded flying V, absolutely love it. I bought it as a beater to complement my other v so I'd have something that sounded and felt similar. It's a litte bti fo a different animal feel-wise, but anyone who's ever played mine has raved about it. Very nice action, same pups as the stock flying V. It's a gibson flying v with less polish and bling, but it still does the job. I'd read that some people had had complaints/problems with sharp fret ends and such, but honestly, I've only got mine as a point of reference and it is zero defect, so to speak.

The one I ended up buying is the worn brown finish which is a nice chestnut kind of color. I really didn't care for the faded red as it did kind of look like watercolor to me. So finish is ok, but fit is top notch and sound is great. This is the one I loan out to some of my friends when they want to borrow one of my guitars.

The 5-600 they charge for oen these days may seem expensive when compared to the flood of cheap (and some not so cheap) chinese imports but you're not jsut paying for the name, you're paying for an american workforce labor rate which is hideously high compared to a chinese worker. Personally, I think it's a fantastic deal, but then again, as an owner (and I have turned down a number of offers to sell it) I'm probably biased.

It's a well built and good sounding instrument and makes a good beater when I don't want to subject one of my "good" ones to dings, dents, knocks and rash.
Basically, people either love or hate the faded models. I've tried both the SG and the V, and I like them both. Personally, I believe the pickups arent outstanding, but good none the less. So it really is a matter of opinion. And you also gotta decide if you like the faded look (which I do).
there is one faded i really like and thats the faded les paul double cutaway
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
Do you think the faded V's are limited quantity at guitarcenter, or will it be safe for me to wait until mid-summer to get one?
You are currently reading my sig.

"Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah." - Robert Plant
Its all opinion, if someone cant brag about spending 1000$+ on a guitar some people will whine and bitch about it. But yea its true, they lack the nitrocellulose (sp?) finish, better pickups, and the bindings arnt as good.

I got my SG for a little cheaper then most, cause I also got an acoustic and a nice fender deville amp. I liked it a lot more then the shecter C-1 classic that I played. The pups in them are nice, but not great. The 490R and 490T are nice, but as I said not great. Ive seen these pickups in some really expensive gibson LP's too. But if I ever wanted to drop the money down for some new ones, Id probably get something like the angus young sig pickup and a 57' plus, or something.

I love my sg...period, thats all that matters is that you like your own guitar. I cant stress how important it is to play the guitar u want at the guitar center before just grabbing a new one.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by Der Bomber
Do you think the faded V's are limited quantity at guitarcenter, or will it be safe for me to wait until mid-summer to get one?

Gibson's stopped making them. GC raised the price already +100 dollars. Spring for it boy, spring!

xD

Anyways, if you got in January, you coulda gotten it for 500. Ah well. It's still a really great deal.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Maybe you can find one on ebay if you can find someone who isn't trying to sell a used "like new" (but beat to hell) gutiar at new price. Or maybe they have a layaway plan. My faded V has the lowest action of any of my guitars. I'm not much of a shredder myself so that's less important to me, but I still say that based on my limited experience with them, I can't see any reasons not to get one. If nothing else, it makes a nice solid mahogany platform you can mod.
Quote by MusicalMinority
Gibson's stopped making them. GC raised the price already +100 dollars. Spring for it boy, spring!

xD

Anyways, if you got in January, you coulda gotten it for 500. Ah well. It's still a really great deal.

Wait a minute, are you sure about that? 'cause I can't see it saying that they are limited or discontinued anywhere.

I tried out three faded SG's just for fun side-by-side to a Gibson SG Standard (I own one.) The pickups in my Standard are a 490R and 498T. The Fadeds are 490R and 490T.
The necks on the Faded were way to thick and clumsy for me (although some people love thick necks.) Even though the neck pickup is a 490R (just like my standard) and the bridge pickup is a 490T (my Standard has a 498T) the pickups on the Faded just sounded weak. I love the Faded finish, but it does look a bit soft. You only get a crappy gig bag with the Fadeds. For the price of a gig bag and playability I would look into a different brand. I have not played the Faded V or Les Paul. Probably is a completely different animal.
Forget LPs, SGs, and flyn' Vs. If you want a gibson guitar buy an explorer. You still got a rad shape, but it sounds way better and plays better than a flyn' V.
Attachments:
My Gibson Explorer.jpg
Founder of the "Make Your Own Freakin' Setlist Club"
Gibson= Made in the USA= great thing= not made in China= even better

When you pick up a guitar at ANY music shop, you are not playing the guitar as it is meant to be played. There is a thing called 'setting up a guitar'

Guitar shops do not do this, they take them out of the box and put them on the shelf. There might be exceptions if your buying a high end guitar which would've been setup at the factory or the guitar store sent out to get set up.

If your buying a $400-1000 guitar- Do not expect it to be 'set up' Ask the salesperson and hopefully they are honest and not dweebs.

Licensed trained Luthiers can do this. A Luthier is a trained guitar technician/builder.

When you buy the "pos" you need to have it "set up" by a Luthier. It only costs $60 or if it's way out of whack, you could pay more or return the guitar for another one that might be better from the factory.

What you end up with is a guitar that has great action and near perfect intonation. Do this to any of your guitars and you will think twice about getting rid of it.

BTW- You should have that guitar "set up" any time you bang it hard or drop it or if it's been 6mths of heavy playing.

You should make this post a FAQ because it is the honest to god truth about guitars in this day and age.
Angus Young "Only an SG is good enough!"
1968' SG- all original
2002' SG Gothic- graphite saddles
2004' USA Strat- 'blue chrome'
70s Guild S-100 resto in progress
Yamaha acoustic
Last edited by ryanv at Apr 15, 2007,
My personal experience:
Playing guitar for over 35 years.
Owned all types of guitars.
I am considered to be a fairly good guitar player (rock, blues, southern rock.)

Getting a good guitar set-up is a great idea, but you have to own it first. Of course a luthier will make any guitar much better. Until you buy it however you have to try it out in the music store.
The first thing you can judge about the guitar is the quality. The next is how well it is set up at the factory. The latter gives much insight into the quality committment of the manufacturer. If the guitar plays and sounds great out of the box (or off the shelf) then think of how great it will be with a set-up.
It's a special. The dot inlays and lack of binding give it away. Why would someone sell a guitar for less than what it's worth?
Quote by wonder725
It's a special. The dot inlays and lack of binding give it away. Why would someone sell a guitar for less than what it's worth?

Well the way he describes it it looks like he dosen't have a clue. Obviously I don't either.
I'm a rockstar without the skills, fame, or income.

Washington Redskins
But wait a minute, that looks like a older and different faded V, for instance: they have other inlays called Crescent Moons (where as the new ones have the simple dot inlays) and they only come in one color choice - worn cherry (the new ones come in colors like cherry, black and brown). Maybe the new ones aren't discontinued.

Well, what do you know. Nevermind then. xD

I guess this is the part where people go "PWT!"

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by uldhppi

Getting a good guitar set-up is a great idea, but you have to own it first. Of course a luthier will make any guitar much better. Until you buy it however you have to try it out in the music store.
The first thing you can judge about the guitar is the quality. The next is how well it is set up at the factory. The latter gives much insight into the quality committment of the manufacturer. If the guitar plays and sounds great out of the box (or off the shelf) then think of how great it will be with a set-up.

Very True.. I jumped the gun on the last post a little..

I was surprised when I went to the Gibson factory in Memphis 2 weeks ago and I strummed a hanging Angus SG and it buzzed horribly, I made them take it down and fix it, especially after trying to sell it to me for $2800... there was a loose screw on the tailpiece!

I recently bought a USA Fender Strat 'used' lightly, and I took it in because it wouldn't stay in tune. The guy hit me up for a $165 setup/neck/nut/bridge adjustment, then he wanted to charge another $195 to level the frets...I did the setup but not the frets...

Angus Young "Only an SG is good enough!"
1968' SG- all original
2002' SG Gothic- graphite saddles
2004' USA Strat- 'blue chrome'
70s Guild S-100 resto in progress
Yamaha acoustic
Last edited by ryanv at Apr 15, 2007,
I own a faded Epiphone G400 and I love it, I think the finish is superb as well and dosen't require polishing :P

Does the whole Gibson faded quality issue apply too the Epi's also?

Cheers.