To get a bass that is about equivalent to a $300 guitar, you need to buy a $400 to $500 bass. To get a bass amp that you can gig with, you need around $500-600 where a guitar player only needs to pay maybe $250-400.

Why is this? Its sucks. I like to play bass more than guitar but sometimes I wish I played guitar instead so I could save a few hundred dollars. Why is it all more expensive? Some things make since like the strings costing more because they last much longer but other than that nothing makes to much since.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Basses require more raw materials to build, and also generally require more development time as there is more stress on the neck. They're just plain bigger. As well, since less people buy basses, profit margins aren't as big when selling basses unless you raise the price a bit. Simple rules of mass production.

As for the amps, they generally have more complicated circuitry, heavier-duty/bigger speakers, larger construction, etc.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Yeah canadianpunk pretty much nailed it, but it's definitely worth those extra dollars in the end!!!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by canadianpunk071
Basses require more raw materials to build, and also generally require more development time as there is more stress on the neck. They're just plain bigger. As well, since less people buy basses, profit margins aren't as big when selling basses unless you raise the price a bit. Simple rules of mass production.

As for the amps, they generally have more complicated circuitry, heavier-duty/bigger speakers, larger construction, etc.

Bass amps also need higher wattage because the speakers need to push more air.
Quote by Hump_De_Bass
Bass amps also need higher wattage because the speakers need to push more air.

Yes, I can't believe I forgot that point! In amps, features don't cost money, it's POWER that costs money.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

But remeber!

Bass amps don't have to have a distortion channel.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
String costs are the things that really get to me. I see guitar strings on sale all the time where you can buy say 10 sets for 20 dollars or something. For bass, you're lucky to get a good set for under 20.
^but I will say for having played both guitar and bass, bass strings seem to last longer if you take care of them, and don't break as easily, if at all.
I buy new basses more often than I buy new bass strings. I'm forever breaking guitar strings. At the moment my guitar only has five.
SOCOOLITHURTS: You just love making titles in all capitals, don't you? That's Why Your Titles Look Like This, Right?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by anarkee
^but I will say for having played both guitar and bass, bass strings seem to last longer if you take care of them, and don't break as easily, if at all.

I've broken 1 string in the two years I've played bass, and that was just because when I first got it and had no ear for the notes I accidentally tune my G string an octave high and it snapped.
Quote by Doodleface
But remeber!

Bass amps don't have to have a distortion channel.

No, but they do have a built in ego-control channel. Something that all guitar amps and mircophones lack apparently.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by BodaciousZac
I accidentally tune my G string an octave high and it snapped.

An octave? Ouch.....

Warning:

That's one tight g-string.
Last edited by smb at Mar 20, 2007,
Yeah, well it costs $100-200 more for a left-handed guitar or bass. So quit your whining.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
Quote by smb

That's one tight g-string.

You forgot the "this is going to be cheesy" warning! *dies*
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Quote by canadianpunk071
You forgot the "this is going to be cheesy" warning! dies*

Appropriate warning added.
Quote by smb
An octave? Ouch.....

It was the day I got my first bass, and all I knew was that it was out of tune and I had an electronic tuner. Somehow I really overshot it.
Quote by thefitz
SOCOOLITHURTS: You just love making titles in all capitals, don't you? That's Why Your Titles Look Like This, Right?

YES
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Yeah it kinda bugs me sometimes, especially the strings. But the amps are just killing me, I want a halfstack, but it just costs too much.

Who will buy a kidney? nice kidney! I don't drink.... alot ...
Where does everyone get the idea that bass amps are more expensive from? They aren't. A good bass amp costs just as much as a good guitar amp. If you're comparing wattage to dollars, then that's a but stupid because guitarists don't pay for wattage. In fact, alot pay more for LESS wattage, or for attenuators to bring it down.

And a good bass costs just as much as a good guitar.

As for strings, we do get a raw deal per pack. But if I had my way, I'd change my guitar strings every two weeks (yes, I kill them that fast) and my bass strings every 2-3 months. So that's AUD$60 every two months compared to, well, AUD$60 every 8 weeks. So it's really not more expensive either. Plus we can clean strings with metho and bring them back to life, once a set of guitar strings is dead they're done for.

So don't complain, cause really we get the same deal. It's the same with other instruments. A good trumpet is AUD$3000-$4000. That sounds like alot, but when you consider that you need an amp for an electric guitar or bass then a good rig is about AUD$3000 as well.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Yes, and plus, I have known guitarist that spend up to 1500 on a Gibson LP. And don't most high end fenders go for about that?

Not even value packages are different.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-PeeWee-RaveRig-Package?sku=518312
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Drive-WildFire-Electric-Bass-Combo-Pack?sku=513446X
(In my opinion the Bass is the better value by the way)

I mean, hell! They even have counterparts!
LP = P Bass
Strat = Jazz Bass
No?
no

but on another note who cares. my rig costs over 4 grand while my guitar rig is significantly less and you know what i'm proud of it
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land