I'm probably the least funky bass player around - I play metal, hard rock and punk exclusively but for the last few days I've had nothing but Jamiroquai songs stuck in my head. I don't know why because I haven't listened to any in ages but anyway...

I'm looking for tips on how to funk up my playing and my tone. I'm not going to nail Zender's tone because I'm down in Cornwall for the time being and only have my old 15W and my Ibanez Artcore, but how can I sound something like those classic Jamiroquai songs? If I can get something that sounds interesting (however distant from the original) I'll record it and see what you guys think. So any ideas?

Edit: ooh, and which songs should I have a go at? I want to do High Times and Too Young To Die maybe.
listen to primus and follow em, they been said to be funk metal:S so maybe its what you need

Primus are great, but you've gotta be in the mood. Hang on - you're in Southampton. Whereabouts in Soton are you and are you any good on guitar?
smb, don't do it. Everybody and their grandmother plays funk. Half the rock crowd under the age of 40 thump out root eighth notes. Please, I beg of you, buck the funk trend and be a badass rocker like myself. Represent, yo.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
smb, don't do it. Everybody and their grandmother plays funk. Half the rock crowd under the age of 40 thump out root eighth notes. Please, I beg of you, buck the funk trend and be a badass rocker like myself. Represent, yo.

If you're going to play funk at all, scoop those mids! Also, newer strings always help. They really bring out those great slap tones. But, you do NOT need to slap to play funk. It's all about groove. It's not about what you're playing, but how you're playing it.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Off beats, playing near the bridge, mute/ghost notes.

master those 3 aspects and the rest will fall into place.

Oh, also learn when/where/how to use accidentals well.. flat and natural 3rds, lots of b7, etc.
Quote by thefitz

I appreciate your concern, fitz, but I'm only trying this for a laugh! There's no way I'm moving away from my Scott Reeder/Geezer style any time soon!

Plague and Manga, thanks for your tips. I'll plug in and see what I can record!
Quote by thefitz
smb, don't do it. Everybody and their grandmother plays funk.

So very true, but... how many of them play funk well?

I see slap bass kids every day, but rarely do I see someone with a real feel for the groove.

There's nothing funky about slapping octaves really, really fast.

But, you do NOT need to slap to play funk. It's all about groove. It's not about what you're playing, but how you're playing it.

+1.

I find fingerstyle funk playing more enjoyable to be honest. And in fingerstyle, it's probably better to not cut those mids so much... rather lean on the bridge pickup (or if you don't have one, roll up the tone or use your EQ to boost highs) so you get a bright, tight tone.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
The beauty about Zenders playing is that he can play very melodically too. There are plenty of songs with great melodic playing in them - then you have tunes like Love Foolosophy (great one to learn by the way, i love playing that one)..

too young to die
love foolosophy
space cowboy
black crow
the kids

all great songs - but really, any tune !
shame Zender plays Warwicks, because he would easily have the best sounding Sig bass:

The Fender Zender.
^ too true, i'd buy it so i could say i own THE FENDER ZENDER
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
Quote by Applehead
shame Zender plays Warwicks, because he would easily have the best sounding Sig bass:

The Fender Zender.

man you really have no respect for "the sound of wood" (warwicks)

c'mon man funk is where it's at i'm not a rock bass player/i'm a funk bass player in a punk band. plus not everyone plays true funk alot of people just like thumping (which is the shit anyways but still). there's little of the oldschool bootsy groovin in rock these days.

I'm probably the least funky bass player around - I play metal, hard rock and punk exclusively but for the last few days I've had nothing but Jamiroquai songs stuck in my head. I don't know why because I haven't listened to any in ages but anyway...

and now to answer the funk.

may i suggest just getting your thump on. which i nenglish means you need to bone up on your slapping and popping becasue this will make funk alot easier and souns really cool. another important thing is just to remember when to paly and speciffically the intonation of notes. it sounds reallly funky when you go light then heavy on eight notes.

ome songs to suggest would be "get on up" by james brown or "give up the funk (tear this roof off the mother)" by Parliament /Funkadelic
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Drmckool, I am so sick of (white guys playing) funk it's not even funny. I can't escape it. It's like the quintessence of bass these days. The days of rock bass heros have come and gone, apparently.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
well i'm a whitey, my people are from the south Macedonia and north Africa before that, i'm a ****ing kanuck and you know what man i love funk. race doesn't know music it's just about the feeling. however i can see that everyone on bass likes funk these days and it annoys me funk used to be my thing and now everyone wants in
I shot JR

Yeah, but I parenthesized the white thing because it seems to me to be less authentic, almost Vanilla Ice-like. Take something I already don't like and strip it of it's authenticity and then you have something that's dead to me. But then again, that's just me.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
ya it's true alot of whiteys wanna play funk casue it's "cool" i just play it cause i feel it
I shot JR