Ok, another topic since I understand the song improvising with solos. But however, I need help with chord progressions please.

I have a song, the low E string tuned to drop-D. So, I start on the 3rd fret (F#), and need help making a chorus for the key of F#. I know about the 1, 3, and 5 root notes. But, I seem kind of confused with it as well. For example, when I use a song in the Key of C, I use C, E, and G. So I use C Major, E major, and G major but it does not sound right at all.

Can someone explain to me how to obtain decent chord progression in a simple way please?

Like see this is ok,
E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E     E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E   
E||-------|--------------------------|--------------------------|
B||-------|--------------------------|--------------------------|
G||-------|--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--|--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--|
D||-------|--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--|--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--|
A||-------|--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--|--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--|
E||-------|--------------------------|--------------------------|

E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E     E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E    
--------------------------|--------------------------||
--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--|--4--4--4--4--4--4--4--4--||
--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--|--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--||
--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--|--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--||

But I just used ^ that from the C Major Scale.
REPETITON OF HATRED dir en grey
Last edited by JDubG at Mar 20, 2007,
Well third fret of the D string would be F, not F#. But about chord progressions in general, it is more common to use chords that are built from the notes in the scale. So in C major, the I chord would be C-E-G (C major), the iii chord would be E-G-B (E minor), and the V chord would be G-B-D (G major). And of course there are many other chords you could build.
Well, the low E string is in drop-d though, so F# on the 3rd fret. I think I understand though, from the second progression you start on the 3 one, and next one the 5 right?
It's definitely F: you can count the frets- 0 is D, 1 is D#, 2 is E, 3 is F

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the second question though-- you
can build chords off any degree of the main scale, not just 1, 3, and 5. It's common
to start and/or finish the progression on the root (1) chord though.
Quote by synthesis
It's definitely F: you can count the frets- 0 is D, 1 is D#, 2 is E, 3 is F

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the second question though-- you
can build chords off any degree of the main scale, not just 1, 3, and 5. It's common
to start and/or finish the progression on the root (1) chord though.

Ok, thanks synthesis. Yeah, so mostly just play around with scales will help a lot? Sorry about that F# lol. Confused..
Well if your in the key of C Major the corresponding notes in that key are CDEFGABC. To make things easy theres a pattern that exists. In a major scale the chords go : major, minor, minor, major, major, minor, diminished. so in key of C Major that would mean the chords C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim can be used.

In key of F# Major the notes are F#, Ab, Bb, B, C#, Eb, F, F#. The chords that can be used in this scale are, F#, Abm, Bbm, B, C#, Ebm, Fdim when you follow that above pattern. A triad is the 1st, 3rd, and 5th notes of a scale used form a chord which you then use to figure the chords of that major scale. To make this effective its the 1 3 5 of F# Major scale, then its the 1 3 5 of Ab Major, 1 3 5 of Bb Major and so on. If you actually use the 1 3 5 you'll see that some notes of some of those major scales don't match the original key of F#, so you flat the notes by makin them 1/2 step lower. This makes some of the triads look like 1 b3 5, which is what makes (in key of F# Major) the Ab, Bb, and Eb minor chords, and 1 b3 b5 which makes the F a diminished chord.

I Hope this helps you even though its not as simple as you might have wanted.