i just bought an ibanez s520...it is black. i really think it is an ugly color...but i love the way the guitar plays and sounds...anyways to the point...is there anyway i could paint my guitar, myself easily...without screwing it up permanantly. like a relatively cheap way to do it, that would look really nice. if anyone has had experience or know anything about this please tell me, i would appreciate it. thanks guys.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
NEVER.

Yeah, you could do it, and it would be relatively easy. Just remember that it takes time, and that your first finishing job won't be perfect.

For my Telecaster, I used Duplicolor automotive paint from the local auto parts store.

Just sand it down or scuff the finish, use Duplicolor primer, spray on some paint (about a coat a day is good, for a couple days, then give it a week to settle) and then an entire 2 cans of clear coat.

Wetsand and buff it out when you're done, and there you go!
I didn't wetsand or buff, because I was lazy, so mine just looks like some matte finish.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
You could easily do it. I usually use a base coat of 2 layers of primer (spray) and then 2 coats of the colour I want using automotive spraypaint, and then 2 coats of clear-coat, again as a spray.

Here's exactly what I do. Only takes about half an hour too! ---> http://www.duplicolor.com/training/autospray_training.html
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
i would do it if it wasnt a real expensive guitar and you had another that was better, one of my friends painted his guitar (actually painted pictures on it) and it looked pretty sick, but it was a pretty shitty guitar
"Its very far away
it takes about a half a to get there
if we travel by my dragonfly..."

I just cant refuse...

THE INTERNATIONAL HERB

so do i HAVE to sand it? two coats of primer. two color. and two clear coats....nice. doesnt sound too complicated. i dont halve to take out the pickups do i? could i just put some paper over them and tape down?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
You should take out the pickups or at least cover them with tape and also cover up to the 12th fret with tape on the neck because spraypaint goes everywhere.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
i do it all the time. first strip it down to bare wood, then i use a primer named cancel, let it dry, sand smooth with a very fine sanding sponge, finally just add 3 to 4 coats of a quality enamell. ya might wanna practice on a junker from the pawn shop first.

p.s. dust it after sanding ya don't want that in yer paint
what is clear coat? what exactly is wetsanding?
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
Clear coat goes over the paint to prevent it from being damaged.

Wet sanding is just getting a piece of sandpaper wet, then sanding.

You should probably do a little more research before attempting a refinish. You seem to be pretty new at this.

Check out

www.projectguitar.com
bi-ah!, post this in the Gear Building & Customizing forum.

Anyway, here are the high-level steps:
1. Disassemble all the hardware and electronics - this is not optional but a must.
2. Scuff sand the glossy parts with 200 grit sandapaper - there's no need to sand to bare wood unless you plan to stain or use a transparent finish.
3. Fill any gouges or dents or pinholes then sand.
4. Spray primer, dry.
5. Spray colorcoat, dry, colorcoat again.
6. Wetsand with high grit.
7. Spray clearcoat. read ReRanch's Rule of 3s.

Use primer/sanding sealer, colorcoat, and clearcoat from the same acrylic family/brand.

The cheap to expensive options are Krylon ($3/can) to duplicolor ($6/can) to Nitro ($16/can). Before you attempt anything, read up on Finishing at ProjectGuitar or ReRanch or StewMac. Good Luck!

^WOW. that was teh best instructions. thank you dude!!
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
I recently painted my ESP and just sanded the finish to rough then primed it then painted it. With canned spray paint as well. Here a few pics to show you that you can get a quality finish for cheap using rust-o-leum. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

^^how wide is that fretboard :O
Quote by Cadj
Okay, big-T is a legend first and foremost

Quote by necrosis1193
You are awesome, Big T.

Quote by Trowzaa
Would like to publicly state that Big-T is my new God and Hero
It's a 7 string, so it's pretty fat, but it's also pretty thin, so it's very easy to play.