Ok this will be my first build and I hope it goes well. Its going to be a Semi-Hollow Body made out of either Mahogany or quilted maple. The design will be almost Identical to this:

Im going to carve out the inside for the semi-hollow part so it will look like this but obviously a different shape:

Im going to try a keep it made out of one piece so the neck and headstock will be made out of the same piece of wood.

Im going to try and keep this updated with pictures and will probley start this weekened by cutting out the body and routing out all that needs to be routed.

Suggestions and comments would be great.
pretty sweet looking.
it seems like it'd be a very difficult project.
hope u do well =]
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
thats gonna require one big ass piece of wood! i think you'd be better off making a neck through, with the neck from one piece running all the way through the body, and the two hollowed out sides of the body coming off of that.
Quote by freedumb
thats gonna require one big ass piece of wood! i think you'd be better off making a neck through, with the neck from one piece running all the way through the body, and the two hollowed out sides of the body coming off of that.

Umm, what? He would need a bigger piece of wood if he was going to do a neck-through...
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by TheLastDj
Ok this will be my first build and I hope it goes well. Its going to be a Semi-Hollow Body made out of either Mahogany or quilted maple. The design will be almost Identical to this:

Phish fan?

gl on the project
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Actually I had never listened to phish until I saw a live video one of my teachers was showing and I saw that guitar click I was a fan.

Also I am doing a neck through that pic was just to show how im going to hollow out the sides.
Quote by the_random_hero
Umm, what? He would need a bigger piece of wood if he was going to do a neck-through...

oh... i think i misread his post. after reading it again, it sounds like he means hes gonna cut one piece of wood into pieces for the guitar. i was under the impression that he wanted the guitar to be one piece of wood, just cut to the right shape and size. nevermind then. forget my earlire post.
Well, if youve never made a guitar before, a semi hollow would not be the way to go. If I were you I would build one guitar first, something easy like a strat or an sg (bolt on of course) and then do this. It would end up saving money, because then you would have two guitars, and you wouldnt **** up on the semi hollow, using expensive wood like mahogany. And with a guitar like that, it wouldnt be either quilted maple or mahogany, it would be both, a mahogany body, a maple top. Sorry if Im being a pompous dick, im just trying to give a little advice. I made a guitar and messed up, and then I learned that its not as easy as you think. And if you are doing this for the first time, I would definately advise against making a neck. Hell of a hard job to do. Good luck though on whatever you choose to do. Peace
Quote by TheLastDj
Actually I had never listened to phish until I saw a live video one of my teachers was showing and I saw that guitar click I was a fan.

Also I am doing a neck through that pic was just to show how im going to hollow out the sides.

Alright. Well I'll point out that Trey's guitar is fully hollowed, and that's why it has that kind of bridge.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by amorebelladonna
Well, if youve never made a guitar before, a semi hollow would not be the way to go. If I were you I would build one guitar first, something easy like a strat or an sg (bolt on of course) and then do this. It would end up saving money, because then you would have two guitars, and you wouldnt **** up on the semi hollow, using expensive wood like mahogany.

Yeah, I already told him this would be a hard first project...But he couldn't be convinced otherwise.