hey, i found some ska songs a couple days ago and i absolutely LOVE it. i just have some questions.

1: what are some good ska bands? all i know so far are Reel Big Fish, and i love them, so if anyone has any other suggestions let me know

2: what are some good ska songs to learn? like songs with a good ska rythm (sp?) so i can get the idea of what a ska guitar line would sound like

3: what guitars are good for ska? not that im gonna buy a new one for it, but still. and what gauge of strings do ska players normally use, or does it not even matter

thanks guys, if you help me you will have another person playin ska forever

thanks again
Quote by The Leader
You know what they found in Jeffrey Dahmers freezer?
...Ben and Jerry (ba dum bum psh)

Quote by ninemonthmedia
if there was a metal jail, Metallica would be Pantera’s bitch

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
Sublime and 311 are some sick bands, personally i think fender strats are good for ska with just a little bit of reverb
"Its very far away
it takes about a half a to get there
if we travel by my dragonfly..."

I just cant refuse...

THE INTERNATIONAL HERB

Quote by mikr_guitar
what exactly is ska? i've never known for sure

Watch these:

First Wave-
Prince Buster http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hUkiPrRSOE
Desmond Dekker (he's the shit) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e2aRfqp1sY

Second Wave/ two tone
The Specials(also the shit) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4HltjRMxJI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28TeUbYvXS0
Madness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdbNoGNCLmg&mode=related&search=

Third Wave/ Ska Punk
Operation Ivy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQfW0pxpLC8&mode=related&search=
Reel Big Fish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0e6LUTjzX0
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Mar 20, 2007,
Quote by mikr_guitar
what exactly is ska? i've never known for sure

basically its kinda like reggae but more rockish
"Its very far away
it takes about a half a to get there
if we travel by my dragonfly..."

I just cant refuse...

THE INTERNATIONAL HERB

Operation Ivy is the only ska band you ever need. The definitive third wave ska sound. If you don't like Op Ivy, you don't like ska. In fact, you probably don't even like music. Listen to Sound System, Unity, and Yelling In My Ear and...I dunno...be amazed by the awesome.
^lol... There are different types. The Suburban Legends and The Aquabats are good, They have a lot of funny type songs. MU330 and The Mad Caddies are probably something you want to check out if you like Reel Big Fish. Big D and the Kids table and Link 80 are a little heavier. I suggest some 2nd wave stuff like The Specials and The Toasters too.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
isnt ska normally quite fast?
Quote by The Leader

Quote by ninemonthmedia

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
[quote="'[A"]cetate']isnt ska normally quite fast?
It depends on what kind, third wave is usually fast with distorted guitars in parts and the first two waves are slower and more mellow.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Whoever mentioned Operation Ivy was right(they're the best ska band ever imo), also some Rancid songs "Time Bomb", "Old Friend" are nice ska numbers. And The Suicide Machines are a good ska band, listen to their first album 'Destruction by Definition'.
Fender strats are great for ska, I've got a MIM strat and it sounds nice playing ska. Also Gibson Les Pauls, and basically any Gretsch are good for ska.
Quote by SublimeSensi
Sublime and 311 are some sick bands, personally i think fender strats are good for ska with just a little bit of reverb

Just sublime and 311? Thats all you got? 311 is surely not ska. Even if they got some stuff that sounds like it, well I guess Sugar Ray does too haha. Their not ska at all tho. Sublime tho yea, much more ska with them. They got some funk in them as well.
this is what i gather for the history of ska... just bear with me if you find it's not as accurate as you'd like... and if i'm totally wrong, go ahead and correct it... just don't give me shit for it

back in the 50's and 60's, jazz was really popular on the radio... and people in Jamaica could sometimes pick up on signals coming from miami or new orleans... but the thing about those signals was that the wavelength became large enough to cause the sound to fade in and out at a constant speed with the bassline coming in stronger... the music became popular in the nightclub scene, with djs taking recordings of the radio clips and spinning them to the dancers... it wasn't long until bands tried to imitate the sound, placing emphasis on the upbeats and thus giving birth to first wave ska...
second wave was born out of the UK, around the late 70's early 80's... the term "rudie" came from this, as there were numerous instances where people came in black or white 3 piece suits, sticking out in the crowd, and somehow were considered to be rude for doing so (this also had something to do with unity... this whole thing's a lil fuzzy in my head)... there was more emphasis on the double beat (two-tone), speeding up the music, more distortion, and sometimes less horns... (i'd like to say it was more experimental, however that's not totally true)... it also gave way to the punk movement, which began at about the same time (and in turn, punk gave way to a variety of other genres, including about 1/2 the emo/screamo/hardcore crap that's heard on the radio today)
3rd wave is, for the moment, what we're currently in... it began in the late 80's early 90's with bands that saw past the problems of the day and refocused on being creative while maintaining the roots... also, horns are still a major part of most bands, although there have been a few extremely successful bands that have not had horns... the elements of the previous two waves are, for the most part, mixed with elements of other genres for the sound we hear today...
4th wave... technically hasn't started yet, but a few people predict that it's coming relatively soon... it can be seen with bands that mix styles previously unheard of, such as foreign melodies/rhythms with traditional ideas, also sometimes taking instruments usually reserved for classical ensembles and including them to make a unique sound...

as i said, this is what i gather from others on the subject, so it may not be totally accurate
when they come for me, i'll be sitting at my desk, with a gun in my hand, wearin a bullet-proof vest, singin: "my my my how the time does fly, when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night"
Parts of that were right and parts weren't. Just read the Wikipedia page on ska. And just FYI, the term rude boy/rudie originated in the 1960s.
wtf is the difference between 1st wave, 2nd wave and 3rd wave?
Quote by The Leader

Quote by ninemonthmedia

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
Seriously- watch those videos, you should easily notice the difference in sounds. The scenes were different for each too, 1st- Jamaica, 2nd- UK, 3rd- US
Quote by CowsWithGuns
1: OPERATION IVY, the Aquabats. Arrogant Sons of Bitches, Authority Zero, Bedouin Sounclash, Big D & the Kids Table, Madness, the Specials, Brain Failure (mostly a punk band but they have a bunch of ska songs), Catch 22, Common Rider, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, the Pietasters, some of Rancid's stuff, the Slackers, Save Ferris, Sublime

Also I hope you'll try my band, Blame It On Austin, the link is in my sig. The only recording we have up is low quality, but whatever.

2: You could learn all of Operation Ivy's self titled compilation, like I did. Sublime is pretty fun to play, too.

3: A lot of ska players use strats or teles, but pretty much any guitar is fine as long as you have a nice clean tone. The string gauge varies from player to player, just like every genre.
i was tryin to paraphrase that article... guess i didn't do all that well of it... 2-tone is a lil confusing to me... and i'm guessin just a lil bit of it's sumthin i hadda have been there to understand... oh well...

room without a window, can't see out...
when they come for me, i'll be sitting at my desk, with a gun in my hand, wearin a bullet-proof vest, singin: "my my my how the time does fly, when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night"