Most people are going to tell you to buy a Roland Micro Cube or a Vox Valvetronix (AD15?). They're actually great amps, from personal experience. Also, the trend is to bash Marshall MG's and line 6 spiders...but if you like those amps...go for it...I wouldn't buy one though, personally.
Quote by gotmilk15
o sry didnt even notice caps was on

lol?

But yeah what styles of music do you play?

Roland Cubes are better for metal, whereas the VOX Valvetronix Series have better cleans.

Or you could get an Epiphone Valve Jnr, but will need pedals to EQ and OD it!
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Last edited by Persata at Mar 20, 2007,
well i play metal/hard rock/rock ya know stuff like that, so if i were to get a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT it woldnt be taht great for me. O and are the Roland cubes valve or ss amps
Quote by gotmilk15
well i play metal/hard rock/rock ya know stuff like that, so if i were to get a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT it woldnt be taht great for me. O and are the Roland cubes valve or ss amps

Don't get me wrong, the Vox Valvetronix still have a very nice heavy sound, it's not useless in that department.

The Cubes are SS, they are modelling amps too which means that pedals don't go as well with them as they do standard amps, but you have quite a few built in FX. Same applies to the Valvetronix series.

But those are the top rated amps for the pricerange, so if you can take your guitar to a shop and try them out to find the best one for you.
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Check out the Fender Champion 600, especially if you are just gonna waste other amps with distortion pedals, at least with the fender you will get a nice solid foundation..
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by gotmilk15
thanks guys its just if i were to get a cube id want the 60 but its to expensive

You want the loudest amp? Or the one with the best tone?

Because at the $200 level, you're going to have to make a choice.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
well i want the loudest one cause ive only got a crappy 10 watt behringer amp and me and my friend are allways playin and he plays drums so id like to hear myself over him. O and by the way i can spend like up to 240 tops and thats pushin my budget
I'm pretty sure the only valve amp you'll get for that price is the Epiphone Valve Junior, which I've heard mixed reviews on whether or not it can get over drums/a band. Besides, you'd also have to buy a cab and stuff.

And if you go for volume over tone, you'll regret it.
though id prefer a valve would you recomend any ss amps to me that have an alright overall tone and are loud
If youre going for tube tone then go for the valve junior. And if you buy the combo you wont need to get a cab like someone stated but the head is a little better because of the fact that it can drive a 412 cab and that would probably be pretty loud.
EDIT: By pretty loud i mean heard over drummer but probably not a full band.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
roland cube 30 is pretty much on your budget (its $230) and i would guess you could hear yourself over drums with it though i havnt heard how loud it goes personally

the 30 watt line 6 is $200 and has really nice features too. id go for one of those
Washburn WG587 -- Roland Cube-15
Id go for the roland cube 30...

But look online on ebay, i bought my Vox ad50vt for 200 actually.
Listen, I've got an older cube 20 which is a great sounding solid state practise amp, but if I had to get another, Kustom makes some really kickass all tube amps all in your price range. Make sure you buy one with reverb. Best bang for your buck out there. Period.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Last edited by Guitarminator at Mar 21, 2007,
Quote by gotmilk15
ok is line 6 a valve or is it a ss

SS.

Unfortunately, if you want cheap volume, the Spider might be the direction for you. I wouldn't buy one, but it's an inexpensive amp with a lot of gain. Anyone who reads this thread from here on out will probably bash the thing (and me!), though....

I think you're better off looking used. Check your local Craig's List. I see a lot of SS amps on mine for under $200. Old Fenders and Peaveys, that sort of thing. Hit the pawn shops, too. One by me has SS Crates and Line 6's in there all the time.

If you want a tube amp, again, you'll have to look used. Maybe you can find a Fender Pro Jr or something vintage in your price range, but that'll be a tougher find.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
well because im gonna decide which one i want and order it from musicians friend and do one of the monthly plans and like if i buy something for 15/month thats <$500 than i have a year then they add interest. If i buy something thats $199< than i have three months with no interest. See i dont make enough money just to say "hey i want that $1000 tube amp" and then go and buy it.
Just instead of saying well thats a good amp but thats better howbout everyone come to an agreement on what the best amp for my price range. It doesnt matter if its tube/ss i just want to know
I understand poverty, Bud, but I recommend a little patience then. You'll get a lot more for your money if you save it up, and buy something used, instead of paying the sticker price and buying on credit at MF.

Even if you decide to buy the same exact thing, with cash in your pocket, you could get a better deal at your local Guitar Center than you will on MF, too.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Check your local Craig's List

what is that and o i didnt see your reply before i typed all that ok thanx so i should look at pawn shops and stuff and did you mean cheap valve not volume right?
so i guess im gonna have to ask what is a decent valve amp ya know to gig and practice with band and stuff regardless of the price
Craig's List

Click on the city closest to you, then find musical instruments, see what's for sale by you. It's basically an on line classifieds site. If you choose to look at "erotic services," please don't tell your mother I sent you there. Great place to buy & sell, though.

Quote by gotmilk15
and did you mean cheap valve not volume right?

I don't know what that means.

Cheap is cheap, and the $200 range is cheap for an amp. There's no quick short answer for you, it's gonna take some effort on your part to unearth a deal. Craig's and the pawn shops are a good start. Remember to haggle with everybody.

Good luck!

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by gotmilk15
alright i guess im just gonna start saving then

so i guess im gonna have to ask what is a decent valve amp ya know to gig and practice with band and stuff regardless of the price

Don't wait 'til you have the money to start researching, do it now. Check that site, check eBay for prices (they're expensive when they've got something good, though!). Start finding the pawn shops or second hand stores that carry amps by you. Be ready when you have the money in your hand.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Unfortunately, if you want cheap volume

thats what i was asking but i was looking at the craig thing and hes selling a line 6 spider II for $120 is that a good deal?
Wow, Line 6 is not tube. The Spider II is a little better than the III. And, dont get it. Epiphone Valve specials on MF are 250 dollars, and those are good amps. Otherwise, I would go with a Rocktron on MF. The new Vendeta series is supposed to be great for what it is.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
You could buy a used amp. Maybe a valve jr with a cab on ebay or something? I've always used ebay and used dealers. I got my Mesa Lonestar, PRS, and cab for about $2,200. If I would have gone through store it would have been well over $3,000.
Quote by gotmilk15
i was looking at the craig thing and hes selling a line 6 spider II for $120 is that a good deal?

What size?

I'd advise you not to buy the first thing you see. Better amps than that'll probably pop up. There'll be guys who've been hawking the same item for months, and if you see the same ad for a few weeks, you'll have a better chance of chewing 'em down more.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
it was 30 watts and i found a Fender Roc-Pro 1000 Half Stack Amp on there and they said it was in good cond. and they're selling it for $75