So, i've been playing bass for about a year and four months or so, and i decided I should change the strings, which leads to my problems:

1) How can I tell what gauges the strings are on my bass, because they're stock strings

2) I've narrowed it down to 2 types of strings, one is Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys for $40 (cdn) and GHS Flea signiture series strings $30 (cdn) and I was wondering if both of these string sets were 'good' and which is the better buy?

Thanks in advance
took you a year and four months to relace your strings? jesus almost anything you buy will sound better than what you have right now, ive played both those strings and personally i like ernie balls better, but they werent worth an extra $10, really i just like the cool neon colors of there packaging so really your set with either pair, get the GHS seeing as how you like flea with you little avatar, itll make you feel more like him
The Boomer Fleas are really good, i love them..
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
ESP KH-2
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall DSL50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange 4x12 w/ Vintage 30s

Quote by druz15_UG
LPDave wins the internet!!!
I loved the ernie ball hybrid slinkys i had on my precision, they died pretty quickly though but sounded awesome while they were still bright
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Ernie balls for $40? I can get a set of 4 for $25 and 5 for $35...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Ah, too bad. You can always try eBay, though. Anyway, I would suggest the GHS over EB's; they're both solid strings, but in no way are the EB's $10 better than the GHS.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Order your strings from the internet if you can! FAR cheaper! You can get it for cost if you buy it directly from the manufacture!

And daamn! 16 montsh with the same set of strings? I am lucky if my strings last 8 months!
I would have changed them sooner, but i know i'll end up screwing up when i try to put em on
a set of string' life is typically 3-4months....

it took me a year to replace my first set.

i suggest ernie ball hybrid slinkies myself.
Am I the only guy who can wear out a set of strings in 6 weeks?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Am I the only guy who can wear out a set of strings in 6 weeks?

Nope, mine last me on average a month maybe? I just can't afford to change them that often so every 2 months is when i do change them
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
when i got my first bass I had no idea what i was doing tuned the E sting up an octave and it snapped, yup first day! and when i was in Guatemala they had a bass those strings were solid brown(ish black) that was a little crazy.
Stay quiet...
Okay, i'm gonna go with the GHS boomers, but for the other part, how can I tell what gauge my stock strings were ?
I'm an EB man myself, always have been. However, a lot of stock strings I've played in the music store were .45s, because they were identical to the .45s on my Peavey.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Last edited by Pysmone at Mar 22, 2007,