So i usually jam with my friends on weekends in the garage, and we're (atleast, I am) leaning more towards an experimental direction. How would i get some wierd noises not unlike some odd radiohead or muse noises? Any effects i would have to get on? I've just got a vox wah, a big muff, and a strat now.

And is there any way that i can control my feedback? (kinda like that second guitar kinda feedback in Radioheads "My Iron Lung", more apparent in the live at Glastonbury version, although im sure other live versions sound similar). Mainly, how do i get my guitar to sound different notes using feedback?

thanks.
the eh deluxe memory man is great for self oscillation - radiohead as well as many other bands use it for that purpose (sounds something like the staticky noise at the end of karma police). if thats too expensive you can look at the guyatone dm3, which is another delay that self oscillates. the zvex fuzz factory is another famous pedal for noisemaking, you hear people like matt bellamy use it every once in a while. theres a pedal line called effector 13 which is basically dedicated to making whacked out sounds. the teaser stallion is another to look at, its a double pedal with one side distortion and the other side turns it into a feedback generator.

one of the most fun things to experiment with is a feedback loop, which is basically something you can connect both ends of any effect to and when you turn the loop on it takes the signal that comes out of the effect, loops it back to the input over and over again for some crazy sounds. it works really well with time based effects like delay or phaser.
WAh + feedback is cool. Also, check out the Boss FB-2 Feedbacker/distortion.

Also, buy a flanger or phaser. they are fun.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
ring modulator if you want trippy. it's like crazy.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
phase shifter + wah + high gain + whammy bar = crazy noises
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
The E-Bow sounds really cool! Some sounds it makes kinda reminds me of the sounds i was thinking of in "My Iron Lung".
I've heard many good things about the fuzz factory. Does anyone know how much they go for?, as its not on musicians friend.

And curious, what's a phase shifter, ring modulator, and oscillation?
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Yeah I have n00b questions.. What's th difference between a phaser and flanger?

Imagine a mental picture this way. A phaser has it on a circle, where the signal get louped around, and you get a loopy kind of wave. A flanger is a wave, where the mids go up and down.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Tube-Zipper?sku=153313
That will give you a lot of wierd noises, look at the product video.
I'm glad someone posted this. I was planning on making a thread just like it a few hours ago. lol.
-Fender '52 Reissue Tele
-1964 Kimberly electric
-Jay Turser Jazzbox
-Takamine acoustic
-Dano Hodad
-SuperCrybaby
-Dano Coolcat Chorus
-Big Muff
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by powerhalf
Please forgive what maybe a noob question, but: What is an "FU"?
Here's some things that'll give you some weird sounds:
1. Wah
2. Delay (EH Memory Man is good one)
3. Any Moog guitar pedal
4. Filter pedal
5. Ring Modulator

Hope you can afford all that
Sent from my iPad.
First thing that came to mind when I saw the title was Memory Man, or Danelectro Forward-Reverse Delay. Also, playing slide with flanger and feedback sounds pretty crazy!

Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Quote by si!
i've always wondered how to get really good feedback, i mean not a little high pitched squeak, but earblowing, mindnumbing screaming wails that makes small children cry. anyone have any tips?

if you have a tube amp, put it on the overdrive channel, take your wah pedal, put it in heel-down mode (bassy), and then try it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by jon333
The E-Bow sounds really cool! Some sounds it makes kinda reminds me of the sounds i was thinking of in "My Iron Lung".

that's cause ed o'brien is using an e-bow!
EHX Flanger Hoax? Or Blue box... mmmm... blue box. I know that the DD-3's warp and reverse functions sound cool too. Oh yeah, the voice wah's of the boss PW-1 are cool.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Quote by Kunundrum
EHX Flanger Hoax? Or Blue box... mmmm... blue box. I know that the DD-3's warp and reverse functions sound cool too. Oh yeah, the voice wah's of the boss PW-1 are cool.

You mean DD-6. The DD-3 doesnt have warp and reverse.
You won't be around forever girl, you gotta grab life with both hands.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Tweed Fender Blues Junior
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
Quote by Matt_M_2002

i think youre right cos i have a DD2 and i remember hearing that the DD3 doesnt have the crazy feedback/self oscillation when you have the feedback knob turned up full.

i havent got a clue if the DD6 does this either though!!
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

It does. ^
You won't be around forever girl, you gotta grab life with both hands.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Tweed Fender Blues Junior
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
ok take a typical glass or metal slide, and use it off the fretboard, somewhere over the pickups, anywhere between fretboard and bridge pickup (any higher does not work), add some modulation effects such as phaser and some delay and you are in the realms of a theremin kind of sounds, if have managed to get a passable impression of the theremin past in whole lotta love by zeppelin
Some good suggestions in here, especially the Deluxe Memory Man which does so many crazy things. The feedback knob is a great friend to anyone who likes trippy sounds.

I think a solid fuzz pedal is also imperative. The Z.Vex Fuzz Factory gets some wild sounds, too. You get that thing and the DMM bordering on feedback together, it starts sounding pretty intense.

And yeah, running a slide thru it makes it even crazier.

I generally like a slower flange, but speeded up it'll give you a great underwater vibe.

Toys are great.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i get a really amazing effect with this method:

heavy distortion, slight delay, wah pedal on for tone control, slow flanger, using a glass slide, and holding it just above a fret, then using my right hand, bouncing the slide very quickly and repeatedly, never pushing down onto the fretboard, and then you can play that up and down the neck anywhere, then play some chords and what not, mix it up, and you'll lloooove it.
Idlefolk
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul
Lotus Telecaster copy w/ Fender pickups
Epiphone Valve Junior
Ibanez Tubescreamer, EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Digitech Metal Master, DigiDelay
Crybaby Wah
Wah, delay, bit o' whammy bar action, and feedback. With fuzz or heavy OD of course.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Matt_M_2002

Oh yeah! Sorry, i was so damn sleepy when i wrote that
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Quote by woodenbandman
WAh + feedback is cool. Also, check out the Boss FB-2 Feedbacker/distortion.

Also, buy a flanger or phaser. they are fun.
He means the DF-2 Super Feedbacker/Distortion.
I will never travel brandishing a sharp tongue, out of fear of piercing my own heart...
Speaking of controlling feedback and stuff, I've always wondered how to do that. Like the Bass feedback in Lost Keys (Blame Hoffmann) by Tool, anyone know what Justin does to give such a beautiful sound like that? I know its not studio working shit, I saw him play it live just like the album version.
I get some mad effects just from using the whammy bar or behind the nut bends or the odd harmonic.

Although I love messing with my Crybaby and Small Stone. Sounds awesome, kinda like an air raid siren.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
The second guitar on "My Iron Lung" is using an ebow, which are quite awesome. Matt Bellamy has Zvex Fuzz Factories built into his guitars for awesome feedback. Both Muse and Radiohead use pitch shifters for trippy sounds.