So I have decided to major in music industry. I start classes next school year at Troy University...from what I have read about it there are many different jobs associated with the music industry (music business). Record producing, music shop owner, A&R (yeah right), and a few others...I was just wondering if anyone else has chosen this career path (or is interested in choosing it) and what their experiences with it include.
Equip:
Schecter Avenger Hellraiser

Ibanez Roadstar

Ibanez TCY10 Talman

Roland Cube 60

Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join.
I'm interested in going to college and either doing somthing like that or Computer programming and repair.. but yeah i'm also interested ya know..
Quote by MikeWO
That's like asking if you can get fat by looking at a burger.

Quote by Mein Kampf
Black people still exist?

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
When I went to Indiana State last year, that's what my major was. The way they did it was first you learned the music, cuz the music comes first. Also there, you have to major with an instrument regardless if your ever going to play it in your later career. So I chose guitar. I had choir, guitar, piano, and music theory classes. I guess it's alright if you know some music theory, but I had no knowledge of any of it and kinda bombed.

So the first couple of years are based on theory and then the last two years are more for the business and whatever specialization you have in the music industry. It was tough for me, which is why I just switched it to business since the music part was way too much for me, at least for my scheduling. Not saying it would be for you, just that for me it was hard to comprehend it all having no music theory knowledge. Hope this helps a lot.
Good luck..thats all i can say, cuz its extremley tough and not all that gloarious for 90% of the people.
I am Cool Thanks for listening.
what i plan on doing is, go to college. try to become a musician for a living, whether it be in a band, just a studio guitarist or whatever. and if that doesnt work im going to open up a store. So I plan on majoring in Business in college and minoring in spanish. But im only a sophomore in high school, so im not 100% sure
Quote by Partyboy2k05
When I went to Indiana State last year, that's what my major was. The way they did it was first you learned the music, cuz the music comes first. Also there, you have to major with an instrument regardless if your ever going to play it in your later career. So I chose guitar. I had choir, guitar, piano, and music theory classes. I guess it's alright if you know some music theory, but I had no knowledge of any of it and kinda bombed.

So the first couple of years are based on theory and then the last two years are more for the business and whatever specialization you have in the music industry. It was tough for me, which is why I just switched it to business since the music part was way too much for me, at least for my scheduling. Not saying it would be for you, just that for me it was hard to comprehend it all having no music theory knowledge. Hope this helps a lot.

Thanks for the information. You also have to choose an instrument to play and take all of the theory/aural classes at the school I will be attending. I play the tenor saxophone, piano, and guitar so I will have to decide on one to continue learning. They suggest that you minor in business but I wanted to use my extra hours taking classes that interested me (perhaps some extra music classes, lessons on other instruments) so I will have to finalize my decision on that.
Equip:

Ibanez Roadstar

Ibanez TCY10 Talman

Roland Cube 60

In september I'm going into the Music Industry Arts program here at my college (http://www.fanshawec.on.ca/programs/mia2.asp). It's a very selective program and I had to work my ass off to get into it. I had to do a year of a General Arts and Science course here before they could consider me. It's a great program and if I do well in it untill i graduate I'm pretty much garunteed to do whatever I want in the Industry because of its reputation.
Before I came here I was into a bunch of things musically. I taught bass, guitar, and theory back home. I had experience with playing live, Live recordings, MIDI applications, and home studios. I'm really looking forward to learning alot of new things in professional multi-million dollar studios this september.

Essentially what I want to do is have my own studio, starting out from building a home one. I also want to write music with my band as well solo stuff and still play shows like I normally do. There is more that I still want to do though.
no dice.
Well, it sounds like you should do alright then since you've played several instruments and had have music theory down somewhat. That was my main downfall with it because I never took band in high school or anything like that. I wish I would have taken some music theory because when I finally got there, I was floored by it all. I know a lot of people are like, ah...you can learn that stuff on your own, blah, blah, blah. But in the real world, it matters in college. They don't care what you can play, if you can't you read the score they give you, your playing is only subpar. So really focus on that going into this. It'll be for the best.
Yes I wanted to have my own recording studio one day...and I am very exited about the classes. Troy is not the most prestigious college out there but it is low in cost and still a very good school...and music is my passion so I will be eager to learn everything that I can. I heard that jobs in the music industry are hard to find (decent paying ones anyway). I think it will be just like any other business though...you start from the ground and work your way up. That is unless you open your own business. If the studio thing doesn't work out I was thinking of just opening a small music shop and teaching guitar...we will see how things go though.
Equip:

Ibanez Roadstar

Ibanez TCY10 Talman

Roland Cube 60

Dan (drummer in my band) has just done two weeks up in London working for the A&R department of Sony BMG, and next week he's working up at Columbia, with more lined up for the coming months and he's loving it. Fair enough, it was a series of very unlikely events which led to him being given this chance, but it sounds like something that'd be really fun to do.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
It is very hard to get an A&R rep job so I hear...less than 1000 of them in the United States...so I will not be expecting to go that far...even though it would be very cool.
Equip:

Ibanez Roadstar

Ibanez TCY10 Talman

Roland Cube 60

I'd like to do something like this too, record producing, recording, etc... It's practically my dream job besides actually making it big.
Member #11 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join

Quote by MuffinMan
Women: the newest form of currency.
Same here...are you planning on majoring in it? Or going to school for it?
Equip:

Ibanez Roadstar

Ibanez TCY10 Talman

Roland Cube 60