I don't know how to describe it in a sense, but my B string isn't sounding as full as it should. It sounds like it's being muted of some sort, and it's just sounding like shit to be honest.

It's quite horrid and almost impossible to get any sustain out of the b string.

Any help? Thanks.
Current Gear :
Jackson USA Made SL1 Soloist (SnakeSkin Finish)
Jackson Jap Made SL1 Soloist!
take the screw out of your guitar at the headstock. right where the nut is... then tighten the screw thats inside of the tab. that gives the neck a slight curve and is cheaper than getting your frets shaved.
sounds like a dead fret is choking that note short. either that or the string has a kink in it.

u can swap the string or raise the action.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Hmm. I'll give adjusting the action a try first, thanks for the input.

Also, i noticed it on the G string (insert horrible pun here) too.

The 6th Fret + are all fine, but 1-5 are the issues on both G and B.
Current Gear :
well, start by raising the action. if it turns out the neck angle is a problem, we can check that after.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

My buddy and I have came to the conclusion that it's not the action, because it's only from the 5th fret down.

In theory, if it was the action: it would affect all frets on the G and B string.

I'm thinking Nut or Neck issues..The guitars pretty old so possibly I need a new nut?

Thanks..
Current Gear :
no really, u need to raise the action, make sure the bridge is level and then measure the neck angle.

always start action.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Hmm did you get the truss rod checked? This happened to me last week, except I couldnt tune up at all. Did you break a string recently? Take off all the strings? What happened before you started noticing this?
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Quote by AznElliot518
Hmm did you get the truss rod checked? This happened to me last week, except I couldnt tune up at all. Did you break a string recently? Take off all the strings? What happened before you started noticing this?

Nope, didn't break anything. I always noticed the tone was a bit off and now it's just bugging me. No broken strings, no string changes, nothing happened.
Current Gear :
Well my only recommendation is you take it to a guitar tech.... thats what I did, cost me $10 but he fixed it.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
if it buzzes when the string is loose too, then you might have to fix the nut.. heightening the grooves or replace. just go to your local store
When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.

All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.

Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

-Cliff Burton
Quote by GeorgeWFletcher
Have you tried new strings?

i don't think new strings are gonna fix it.. its something with the guitar.
^_^
the thread starter hasnt posted in a while. so who knows, but if u try the action and that leads no where. a good second option would be a string change.

maybe even a string gauge change. ^ even if it is a dead fret. a new string can help. the old one may have a kink in it from a rough edge.

and a higher gauge might help u clear a higher fret.

like i said, just giving out info for future reference.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by joshmilesadrian
take the screw out of your guitar at the headstock. right where the nut is... then tighten the screw thats inside of the tab. that gives the neck a slight curve and is cheaper than getting your frets shaved.

NO!!

I cant suggest anything but DO NOT TOUCH THE ACTION YOUSELF.
yup. if you screw up, its gonna be next to impossible to fix it..
^_^
Im having the same problem with E string it just sounds dead, its in tune and doesnt appear to be touching any frets its the same open . i changed the string thinking it was duff but its still the same , i dont play it any more because of this
what type of guitar?

raise the action, see if it helps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

If it was the action, all the strings would sound funny..
^_^
Quote by nephi
If it was the action, all the strings would sound funny..

Quote by rab622
Im having the same problem with E string it just sounds dead, its in tune and doesnt appear to be touching any frets its the same open

what's ur point. i doubt ive ever seen u make a valid one.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
what type of guitar?

raise the action, see if it helps.

fender usa double fat strat
well raise that one up a bit. maybe it doesnt seem like it's hitting anything but it lightly is.

u can raise it by slightly lowering the two pegs on the front face of tha saddle. u will need a tiny allen wrench. it's completely reversible, and it should only take a minute to see if that's the problem.

if not then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62