I have some wood that I have sitting in my workshop that had a white coat of paint on it. I need to know what kind of wood it is and I sanded it down; how can I tell what type of wood it is? Are there any distinctive features between different types of wood? It's really light, and the grain is very obvious, and about 4 inches are light, then it goes into a darker brown...

Any advice?
Once upon a time, you didn't exist.

SLAMARAMALAMABINGBONG - How To Play Guitar For Dummies
That has really intense grain. There are huge differences in height it looks like. I would say thats a softwood, not suitable for guitar making. But I may very well be wrong.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
That's just my camera, gotta love HP's beautiful quality.

Is there anything I can do to test if it's hard or soft?
Once upon a time, you didn't exist.

SLAMARAMALAMABINGBONG - How To Play Guitar For Dummies
looks like douglas fir
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Maybe you could take it to a local luthier? Other than that the only way to tell is if someone can identify wood by sight, or look at it under a microscope.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by halfstacked
looks like douglas fir

I think you are right.

The darker side looks like douglas fir. I've seen some low end minnisota white spruce that had grain lines that looked like the light side of the board, but I still think it's doug fir.

Yes, it is a softwood and yes you can use it for guitar. The type of guitar you use if for depends on how well quartered it it. Doug fir and white spruce are both commen materials for acoustic guitar tops.
Not taking any online orders.
Do you have a picture of the end-grain? It really looks like a piece of oregon I have.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."