So i've been looking around and i've finally set myself up on saving for a 5150.

But i've heard the cleans aren't too great...is there a pedal i could get to make the cleans any better?

And...this will be my first tube amp..any procedures i need to follow to make it last longer/not break?

Thanks everyone!
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
A little reverb or chorus, plus maybe a light treble boost on the neck pickup will do wonders. Just a very little, though.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
not a whole lot you can do...there are other amps out there that can do both, if you're not set on a 5150.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
not a whole lot you can do...there are other amps out there that can do both, if you're not set on a 5150.

Like which ones??i would prefer them to be the same or lower in price than the 5150...
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

if you get a good clean amp it's easier to add distortion than to make cleans better.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
The cleans on this amp arnt nearly as bad as people here make them out to be. Set up the preamp right, add a little effects and youll have at least some pretty decent cleans going
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by tubab0y
if you get a good clean amp it's easier to add distortion than to make cleans better.

Why would you add half assed distortion over good cleans instead of fixing half assed cleans to great distortion over the same price? 5150 have a great distortion that makes them their weight in gold. Well worth it if you use mostly distortion. Cleans...meh.. who gives a F***. I assume the TS wants Distortion, which he will get from the 5150 and be fine with the cleans.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
As far as gain and distortion goes it doesnt get much heavier then a 5150, the cleans are just OK imo... but for rock & metal the 5150 is killer.
saying the cleans are bad is stupid, its pretty much like saying you'll never sound like SRV on this amp or something

it is a metal amp, it nails distortion and pleanty good enough for metal cleans
Quote by woodenbandman
A little reverb or chorus, plus maybe a light treble boost on the neck pickup will do wonders. Just a very little, though.

That for starters. Bias mod and new tubes second.

I'd say get a 5150 II over a 5150 if you're really worried about cleans. The extra EQ adds more tweakability.
if cleans are equally important then get the 5150ll but if u really want killer gain then stay with the 5150 its the best
ESP Explorer Custom Shop
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Marshall 1960 A cab
Engl Powerball
Genz Benz G-flex
Washburn Dime 3 custom shop..wanna buy it??
get one of those acoustic pedals,it really dosnt make your electric sound like an acoustic but it will hell you get a nice clean tone,and get a chorus pedal.
For decent cleans, use the low gain input, try to keep the rhythm pre as low as possible and preferably use a low output neck pickup. I've heard chorus pedals works well as well. These little procedures will probably make your cleans useable enough to use between the tight, brutal, high-gain riffing I'm assuming you're mainly looking for. Good luck.
"between the tight, brutal, high-gain riffing I'm assuming you're mainly looking for"

=]

Hell yes.
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

Quote by tubab0y

I agree with you. You can fake distortion. Can't fake cleans.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by SchecterGates
"between the tight, brutal, high-gain riffing I'm assuming you're mainly looking for"

=]

Hell yes.

Aye, then I'd still say the 5150 is a good choice, follow the little pointers and the cleans should be fully useable even at higher volume levels, is for me atleast.
Quote by Dirk Gently

woo! i win!
^hehe.

well to me the distortion is more important than cleans..

i don't use cleans too much..

just sometimes.

mhmm.
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

Quote by Dirk Gently

lol sorry dude, but its pretty objective.

If you want distortion predominantly, you aren't going to get a satisfactory distorted tone from a 'clean' amp with a pedal.

Likewise goes for cleans. So, if you wanta clean tone, get a clean amp. If you want a dirty tone, get a dirty amp.

Fortunately, if you change the tubes selectively, rebias the amp and get a reverb pedal (since the amp lacks reverb) and throw it in the loop.

Clean problem: Solved.
Distortion problem: Solved.

</thread>
Quote by xxgenocide98xx

If you want distortion predominantly, you aren't going to get a satisfactory distorted tone from a 'clean' amp with a pedal.

Likewise goes for cleans. So, if you wanta clean tone, get a clean amp. If you want a dirty tone, get a dirty amp.

Fortunately, if you change the tubes selectively, rebias the amp and get a reverb pedal (since the amp lacks reverb) and throw it in the loop.

</thread>

My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

If you got the money, FJA or Voodoo mod it later on.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by xxgenocide98xx

</thread>

x2.

i use the DS1 for a more of ultra heavy boost, as my amps gain is already on 8.
What brand are the power tubes of 5150??? can you live with them or is it something that you most likely would want to replace(for better ones)?