I just got new tubes for my amp and took it in to the local shop and had it biased and cleaned up. But when I got it home to see how it sounded I noticed the hum was louder than it's ever been, even at low volume clean levels (no master volume). Can anyone point me in the right direction to start looking for the problem? I know all the shop did was bias it and cleaned the pots.
Quote by disconnect
I just got new tubes for my amp and took it in to the local shop and had it biased and cleaned up. But when I got it home to see how it sounded I noticed the hum was louder than it's ever been, even at low volume clean levels (no master volume). Can anyone point me in the right direction to start looking for the problem? I know all the shop did was bias it and cleaned the pots.

Hum doesn't usually come from the poweramp unless you have it cranked. If its humming even on clean you probably have a bad preamp tube. Get a tube you know is good...then go down the line plugging it in until you find the bad one.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by bonchie1
Hum doesn't usually come from the poweramp unless you have it cranked. If its humming even on clean you probably have a bad preamp tube. Get a tube you know is good...then go down the line plugging it in until you find the bad one.

He speaks the truth
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial