I'm looking forward to investing in a new amp soon, but since I'm still somewhat of a guitar noob I wasn't sure what all this hype about tube amps was about and what the difference is between tube amps and normal amps. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Read the stickies for the difference between tube and ss. Also, what's your price range and what kind of music do you play?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
tube amps have more warmth because they generally will drive a speaker a bit more than the solid states cicuitry will... while solid state have come along way they do still sound a bit sterile in my opinion... if you dont have too much experiance in hearing like the actual difference then you dont really need one yet (seeing as they are a bit pricey)... thats why im saving for an orange rocker thirty(it costs the same as the tiny terror with a 4x12 cab so i figured what the hell) sooner or later (most likely get it next summer, because im going to colombia and buying a mustang this summer)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
tube amps have more warmth because they generally will drive a speaker a bit more than the solid states cicuitry will.

Actually, they sound better because tubes don't cause harsh clipping the way a transistor does.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^tomahto tomato... either way im saving up for that orange
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by latinosuperstud
^tomahto tomato... either way im saving up for that orange

Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
^damn you and your persuasive mannor...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Hmm, you just have to put the Watermelon before the "certain" African American in your avatar, don't you, Jinskee?

Racist...

Anywho, on topic-wise, search around the site and read up a bit on both types of amps to learn more about them. Just a note though, tube amps will just about always cost more than SS amps, unfortunate as that may be, it's true.
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
^
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
yea ive been looking around on that same subject for awile im tryin to get a better amp than the one i have and from reading around im pretty sure im gonna get a tube of some kind
Quote by gotmilk15
yea ive been looking around on that same subject for awile im tryin to get a better amp than the one i have and from reading around im pretty sure im gonna get a tube of some kind

Getting a tube won't help much, no jack to plug in to... [/bad humor]

I have to question, how long have you been playing?
I don't know if it's just me, but I hate seeing people who've saved a bunch of money, have been playing Guitar for about 4 months, and buy themselves some nice tube combo or stack. It generally ends up being wasted technology. I prefer honing your skills until you can make a "crappy" amp sound good, and then move on to a dream amp to get a better quality tone, and also tweak your tone some more.
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
Quote by Kylster

I don't know if it's just me, but I hate seeing people who've saved a bunch of money, have been playing Guitar for about 4 months, and buy themselves some nice tube combo or stack. It generally ends up being wasted technology. I prefer honing your skills until you can make a "crappy" amp sound good, and then move on to a dream amp to get a better quality tone, and also tweak your tone some more.

lol thats how things should go but hey
keep it to urself man its all cool.
if he wants to try and save up a bunch of money, its his money.
however he wants to spend is all cool.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i wonder how many people here going tube this and tube that will be able to tell tube and ss apart in a blind test. just listen to any album you have and try it out--can you pinpoint on every guitar track which type of amp the sound is coming from? get to crank that orange or marshall or mesa 100 watter fullstack. hell too many self proclaimed tone snobs think la grange is the definitive sound of pearly.
Quote by lightbulbs on?!
i wonder how many people here going tube this and tube that will be able to tell tube and ss apart in a blind test. just listen to any album you have and try it out--can you pinpoint on every guitar track which type of amp the sound is coming from? get to crank that orange or marshall or mesa 100 watter fullstack. hell too many self proclaimed tone snobs think la grange is the definitive sound of pearly.

i cant tell between "any" ss and "any" tube amps.
but i can tell between my new blues jr, my marshall MG, my friend's AVT50, and my friend's line6 spider.
its quite rediculous. lol i can't play with anything else besides my blues jr now.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by latinosuperstud
tube amps have more warmth because they generally will drive a speaker a bit more than the solid states cicuitry will... while solid state have come along way they do still sound a bit sterile in my opinion... if you dont have too much experiance in hearing like the actual difference then you dont really need one yet (seeing as they are a bit pricey)... thats why im saving for an orange rocker thirty(it costs the same as the tiny terror with a 4x12 cab so i figured what the hell) sooner or later (most likely get it next summer, because im going to colombia and buying a mustang this summer)

No, this entire post, from start to finish, is wrong.

Tube amps are not actually louder, if you put them side by side, they would have the same exact decibal rating. However the tube will sound louder, this all comes into play with the harmonic content of the sound. Tubes, because of the way they are built are less linear(or have more distortion) at signal levels before clipping (distortion) than a SS amp. Or, you are getting a fuller sound. The distortion will gradually increase in little nuances, so slowly that we won't notice it till it's there. On the other hand, SS, is perfectly clean, but when it clips it clips hard, and so there is a more defined threshhold.
This sudden onset of distortion is also composed of relatively harsh sounding distortion, not like the subtle second and third harmonics of the tube amp. The human ear hears the sudden harsh distortion as clipping and harshness. It interprets the low order distortion of the tube amp as a louder sound, not as distortion. In effect, the tube amp fools the ear into thinking that its early distortion is more loudness. They therefore sound louder or more powerful than the actual measurements show are really there.

As far as why to pick tubes, lets start with a sterio system, this would be your SS system, it's designed to be as clean and as plain as possible in order to preserve the clarity of the signal. However, with tubes, no such clarity exists, and the signal is constantly fluxuating at a controlled rate, making the sound more colorful and experessive. This allows the musician to better express himself/herself through that expression and makes a more expressive sound.
An amp is commonly viewed as an extension of a guitar or bass, and not a magnifier for the signal. A SS is a magnifier for the signal, what is coming out of that guitar, is what you hear, just on and off electrical current. A tube amp adds color to the sound, and so, makes a better more expressive sound.

Quote by Kylster

And why is this? Because you didn't start off that way? I think everyone's first amp should be a tube, I think all amps, no matter how big or little should be tube, it's part of guitar. There is no reason to say "you should sound like shit till you can play good." It's everyone's right to have a nice amp, and a nice guitar to learn on.
It's the same as those morons who suggest you start out on acoustic guitar, play any song on acoustic, then play it on electric. Electric and acoustic guitars are two entirely different animals, almost different instruments entirely. There is no reason to learn acoustic to unlearn then learn electric. /rant
Last edited by Schecter1277 at Mar 21, 2007,
Try out a Peavey XXL http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-XXL-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481356
That thing sounds awesome, listen to the soundclips. Also, Laneys hybrid amps sound really good, as do Hughes and Kettner hybrids. But, it you want to fork out the bug bucks for a tube amp, it's your choice. But, people never really get the chance to crank up a tube amp, which is where the really good sounds are, so get a lower powered tube amp like a 50Watt or something.
Quote by yeahyeah
Read the stickies for the difference between tube and ss.

either that or a search.

vs. threads are also against the rules.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure