under $650 for Hendrix, SRV, Chili Peppers type stuff?
Here are the options i've found so far:

Jimmy Vaughan signature strat-$650
60's strat-$630
Deluxe Player's strat-$600
Standard strat-$400 with $250 for hardware and pickup upgrade.

any help or other ideas are greatly appreciated.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

dont forget its what you like due to the sound of the pickups and feel
Quote by label
dont forget its what you like due to the sound of the pickups and feel

the problem is my guitarcenter sucks. all they have is a bunch of standard mexican's and american's, so that's all I can try out.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

i was gonna say get an ibanez, but then i noticed hendrix and rhcp...
Quote by Twist of fate
Thank god! For a sec I thought I lost my virginity to a stuffed animal christmas dog!

^ Do you know who that is? It's the guitar player from Fall Out Boy.
the deluxe is pretty good but the best is the srv signature model
Quote by nick83

The SRV signature is my second favorite strat, but it is well out of my price range.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP

ifound a mexican strat that had a really nice neck and felt good for about $250 so then i put the emg david gilmour pickups for about another 250 so for about 500 i got a great sounding strat without paying an outragous price for a american strat then the gilmour pickups and by the way my guitar center sucks too
current gear
music man steve morse y2d
fender american strat
yamaha dg 100
crate palomoino v32 head
Quote by nick83

which clearly retails for about $650.

if you can find any guitar shop within two hours drive, call them and see what models they have and make a trip out there on the weekend. playing is the best way to tell, after all.

but if you can't do that i'd say...i dunno, sorry. plenty of people on here like to voice opinions about this vs that though, good luck.

also, check out the tribute line that g&l puts out, they're comprable to mexican strats though they're made in korea or something. i checked them out before i got an s-500 and they seem to have very steady quality, i bought online for a great price and the thing plays really well. seems like leo fender's second guitar company would be good to know about if you're a strat fan.
70's Strat - Kickass looks, amazing tone, and good trem. Alot of people use the 60's styley strats, I think you'd be more unique if you used the 70's Strat.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Strats are so over-rated. Les paul's kill them anyday. I'd rather myself a nice esp or jackson
These walls are closing in, they're bound to suffocate me
Compled to live my life in ways I could never imagine
Can you save the dying eyes? Sentenced to never be free
I stand convicted of all your fucking lies.
Quote by Bizkitfury666
Strats are so over-rated. Les paul's kill them anyday. I'd rather myself a nice esp or jackson

Get out.

Threadstarter, I say check out MIJ strats aswell. They're vintage (most of the time), about 500-600 bucks on ebay, and I hear they play just as well as MIA strats.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Id get a nice MIM or MIJ strat and upgrade parts, primarily pickups.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
I am trying to find a MIJ strat too, but the shop here sells it for $SGD820 (standard strat). Either that or a highway 1 perhaps?
dont get Deluxe Player's strat
all your paying for is gold hardware and weak ass pickups
go for the 60s or 70s strat or get a mexican that feels really good and upgrade it
some of the mims fell terrible and some feel great. find one that feels good then add some new pickups an lsr roller nut locking tuners
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
If you can find a Standard MIM you TRUELY love, grab it and upgrade. That being said, the JV and Classic series strats are made MUCH better. It wont be hard to find one you like. I'm sitting here with my 50's classic in my lap. Such an awesome guitar. $120 pickup upgrade and you've got a fantastic axe
theyre all exactly the same.

jk
Quote by cagnius
I'd rather be spooning than doing my essay...
Quote by libskate44
dont get Deluxe Player's strat
all your paying for is gold hardware and weak ass pickups
go for the 60s or 70s strat or get a mexican that feels really good and upgrade it
some of the mims fell terrible and some feel great. find one that feels good then add some new pickups an lsr roller nut locking tuners

dont get a Deluxe Players strat for $600. I got mine for $430 so it was hardly more than a suburst MIM strat. Its a nice guitar but for 200 above the MIM the noiseless pickups and gold hardware are not worth it.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

^nice deal you got there
what color did you get?
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
I got the 3 tone burst, a new white pearloid pickguard, and Stephens Design Mojo pickups. It's quite a beast now Still, I'd prefer a new neck and some new electronics/rewiring. Here is a pic of it.

Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

to kanamvar: if you dont like the neck then your not gonna be happy with the guitar. if you like the neck then the sound and everything else can be changed accoringly
Quote by beeboshain
i like the feel of the neck but rather have 22 frets haha. its not a big deal tho. all the american strats I played had the gloss finished necks which felt sticky and slow to me. the MIM necks actually feel better to me.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

Quote by Jinskee
Get out.

Threadstarter, I say check out MIJ strats aswell. They're vintage (most of the time), about 500-600 bucks on ebay, and I hear they play just as well as MIA strats.

I already looked into them and they are made out of basswood, not alder, which is something I'm not to excited about.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP

new idea:

let's just say I could get a highway one used for about $450 and upgrade the pickups, or I could get an American standard for about $650, well maybe a hair more. What would you think would be better? highway one has the nitro finish and probably better pickups (if I upgrade). Is the American standard worth that much more without any upgrades?
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP

Quote by Bizkitfury666

But Les Pauls have necks that are so tempermental, you're always adjusting the truss. It's what makes me play my LP very little.
Try out a '50s reissue. I got mine on Friday for $600 and I really like it so far.
^what a helpful comment
im sure you really helped out the threadstarter there you **** face piece of shit
i dont care if you hate strats but if iyou do dont go around spamming ppls threads so
**** YOU
Quote by LumberjackTed5
Strats Suck!

No, YOUR strat suck, i guess it's a cheap copy.

And for the "highway/american" argument, i think american would still be better but the highway ones are really good and you'd have some money left over.
Quote by libskate44
to kanamvar: if you dont like the neck then your not gonna be happy with the guitar. if you like the neck then the sound and everything else can be changed accoringly
+1.

BTW, how's your USA Deluxe Strat? I'm GASing for one of those with the C-neck atm...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Unless you have your heart set on a Fender Strat, you may want to look at G&L guitars. While similar to strats (S-500, Legacy models) and teles (ASAT model), they seem to be better made and IMO have a nicer sound, especially in the foreign made models (Korean G&L vs. Mexican Strats). If you didn't know, Leo Fender started the company G&L after he sold Fender and as far as he was concerned, perfected what the Strat/Tele were supposed to be.
There is no such thing as a best strat, because everyone has different opinions on guitars. For some people, a Squier might be the best strat for them.
Sent from my iPad.