Page 1 of 3
Does anyone else really not like these? Personally, I can't stand the tone of the Sting Ray in particular. It's way to round-ish for my taste. I know that's a horrible description but it's hard to describe. I've never heard the Bongo so I can't say for that, but does anyone else not care for these basses?
Oh Shit!
I've never had the privilege of playing one.

Edit: I just played one today. They are rumbly! I like em, but not as much as Warwicks.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
Last edited by Masturbasser at Mar 25, 2007,
Personally I like them, but they are nowhere near a favorite of mine. For the price I would much rather have a Warwick or even a high-end Fender.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
I have a Stringray and I personally like the sound a lot
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
I like the sound of the Bongo, but overall I'm not too big on Musicman basses. I dunno, just not for me.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
I love Stingrays personally, amazing playability and since the newer ones have the selector switch they have incredible tonal range, while constantly maintaining a great high end response. Ever heard a muddy Stingray? Me neither.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
i'm not a fan really i played on in a store recently and it sounds too much like a cheap p-bass and does not feel right or sound right for slap. it was good but it didn't compare to my warwick
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
I have never ever liked the sound of a bridge humbucker, but not because of the treble. I love treble. I just don't like the sound... I can't explain it... the strings sound like balls or something... the notes have an accent.... or have spice on them... wow I'm an idiot (but I think the threadstarter and I are speaking of the same thing). Anyway, I just don't like the humbucker tone. Exactly the same sound as a Gibson Les Paul bridge humbucker played clean.

Also, I don't like their necks. They are unfinished and are so dry. I feel like I'll get splinters on them.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I love the bongo's. But I couldn't see myself using a stingray personally, the tone is too 'there' for my liking. I like my bass to be a little more passive.
I'm holding out for the 6 string bongo.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
I don't see how anyone can -not- like the sound of a Bongo, because... well, it can sound like whatever you want it to. I think that's the idea behind mounting what appears to be a freight plane takeoff and landing system in it.

Personally I like the 'Ray's tone, but I don't think it's the bass I would choose if I could only play one for the rest of my life. Nothing to do with it's quality, but more where it can be applied effectively. I just don't think the feel of it works for some types of music.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
My dream bass is a pre-ernie ball stingray from like the 80's. i heard one of these personally and they sound amazing. plus they look so cool.
I think EBMM instruments are amazing personally. I own a Bongo and have never heard a better tone in my life also since I surf the EBMM forums there have been many accounts recently about places like Guitar Center having extreemly bad setups on EBMM basses. I am not going to rip on everyone who dislikes EBMM basses after trying them but high end fenders being better than a Stingray... please. I know for a fact that EBMM customer service is also top of the line which lets me feel safe sticking with them. thats my $.02

and yeah Force I am holding out for a Bongo 6'er too Blue Dawn babeh
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Quote by thefitz

Also, I don't like their necks. They are unfinished and are so dry. I feel like I'll get splinters on them.

Try a late-80's SR or pre-EB. They have lacquered necks. I actually prefer the unfinished necks on the SRs than to the unfinished ones, though I own the latter.
Quote by thefitz
I have never ever liked the sound of a bridge humbucker, but not because of the treble. I love treble. I just don't like the sound... I can't explain it... the strings sound like balls or something... the notes have an accent.... or have spice on them... wow I'm an idiot (but I think the threadstarter and I are speaking of the same thing). Anyway, I just don't like the humbucker tone. Exactly the same sound as a Gibson Les Paul bridge humbucker played clean.

yeah, that's exactly what i'm talking about.
Oh Shit!
Wasn't a great fan of the necks on some Stingrays I tried, except for one with a maple fingerboard.

Never played a Bongo, but it seems neat.
I love my Stinger - two humbuckers for the price of one - I'm uber broke but I never looked back. The HH is even more versatile than the regular 'Ray and can sound even more punchy which is awesome because I like having my basslines noticed.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
I think they sound great, but I could never buy one because of the way they look. The Stingray is ugly enough with that 3+1 headstock and the goofy oval pickguard, but the Bongo takes ugly to a new level. Different strokes for different folks.
I dont much care for the stingray, tone or looks. But the Bongo in orange, its so beautiful and sounds so good, but I decided the warwick necks feel so much better
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
Quote by maXterbat0r
Wasn't a great fan of the necks on some Stingrays I tried, except for one with a maple fingerboard.

Never played a Bongo, but it seems neat.

Maple fingerboards are, IMO, the only way to get a proper 'Ray tone. It's just part of the parcel.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I do love the stingray tone but i would still choose my MIA P-Bass over it any day
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
EBMM's are amazing. The level of care they give the customer is just great. You can speak to the head of the company on the forums, and he WILL answer YOU back. Not his assistant... the guy himself.

EBMM's are one of the few instruments I'd feel comfortable ordering online, because they are so consistently amazing, and if one happens to NOT be, I can easily get it remedied by talkin' to the guys.

While I'm not in a financial/playing situations where I think I should get/deserve one, an EBMM Sterling 5 string (Out this summer) is one of my goal instruments.
haha
Yes, their customer care is next to none. The fact the owner of the company is on the forum and actually comments is amazing. Also, it remains a family owned and run business. EBMM run their bass company like I wish every other one did.
Case closed EBMM is great
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
i think it's hard to say you dislike a bass unless you've spent any kinf of time with it. I'm pretty sure if i gave you a 'ray for a month, you would come away liking it. They are amazing instruments.
For me any bass that Flea used for a number of years gets a stamp of approval. Now by that I don't mean that whatever flea has I consider the best. But since I started playing bass 5-6 years ago fleas always been and remains my favorite. I trust him hahaha I mean come on he toured BSSM with a Stingray. For me thats sufficiant. I not saying they are my favourite but I just can't believe someone who says that they aren't one of the better basses out there
Quote by Applehead
i think it's hard to say you dislike a bass unless you've spent any kinf of time with it. I'm pretty sure if i gave you a 'ray for a month, you would come away liking it. They are amazing instruments.

are you offering?
Oh Shit!
If Ernie Ball is so great, why do people make a stink about a Stingray being "pre-EB"?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Well I think in part people have this Fender syndrome about "pre-" something. I believe some people liken the EB take over of MM to the CBS takeover of Fender. It's not really the same at all. CBS was purely in it for the money, and QC suffered. That's why the employees rebelled and bought Fender back under a private consortium. EB on the other hand are musicians, and it's a family run business still.

Modern EB-SRs are different to pre-EB, i.e lacquered necks, different bridge, pre-amps. But even pre-EB had their dodgy moments. In the early 80's, the company was in a lot of difficulty, and it's reported a lot of duds were made in this time. Even some of their production of bodies and parts were outsourced apparently. I heard from somewhere that Leo Fender when a bit loopy and when about the factory sabotaging production, and there was cases of basses leaving the factory without truss rods and whatnot.

Me, I'm a fan of the transitional era after EB bought MM in the late-80's. They went flat out to restore the reputation of SR basses through high quality. I'm a great fan of these and I own one. IMHO these era basses bring out the best of both eras, in terms of lacquered neck and pre-amps from pre-EB but higher QC from EB-era. Also, a lot of basses made in this period used birdseye maple for their necks, which can look stunning.

Sterling Ball himself said on the EB forum they don't use birdseye maple anymore because the cost of birdseye maple skyrocketed when new US legistation on the use of exotic wood forced furniture companies to look at other types of wood, including birdseye maple. So now they only use it for special guitars & basses, which is a shame because it looks gorgeous.

I personally treat pre-EB SRs as I would late-70s Fenders. You can get some really gems, but you can get some real duds too.
Of the three "Pre-EB" basses I've played, none of them had anything that I'd put as greater than a current EBMM.

Ernie Ball Music Man > Leo Fender Music Man
haha
Quote by shut_up_you_***
Well I think in part people have this Fender syndrome about "pre-" something. I believe some people liken the EB take over of MM to the CBS takeover of Fender. It's not really the same at all. CBS was purely in it for the money, and QC suffered. That's why the employees rebelled and bought Fender back under a private consortium. EB on the other hand are musicians, and it's a family run business still.

Modern EB-SRs are different to pre-EB, i.e lacquered necks, different bridge, pre-amps. But even pre-EB had their dodgy moments. In the early 80's, the company was in a lot of difficulty, and it's reported a lot of duds were made in this time. Even some of their production of bodies and parts were outsourced apparently. I heard from somewhere that Leo Fender when a bit loopy and when about the factory sabotaging production, and there was cases of basses leaving the factory without truss rods and whatnot.

Me, I'm a fan of the transitional era after EB bought MM in the late-80's. They went flat out to restore the reputation of SR basses through high quality. I'm a great fan of these and I own one. IMHO these era basses bring out the best of both eras, in terms of lacquered neck and pre-amps from pre-EB but higher QC from EB-era. Also, a lot of basses made in this period used birdseye maple for their necks, which can look stunning.

Sterling Ball himself said on the EB forum they don't use birdseye maple anymore because the cost of birdseye maple skyrocketed when new US legistation on the use of exotic wood forced furniture companies to look at other types of wood, including birdseye maple. So now they only use it for special guitars & basses, which is a shame because it looks gorgeous.

I personally treat pre-EB SRs as I would late-70s Fenders. You can get some really gems, but you can get some real duds too.

Would you happen to be a member of the EBMM forums? If so whats your handle?
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
I'm on the EBMM forum (yeah, and I don't have one... anybody can feel free to remedy that... ) as Steve21 (same as TB)
haha
I have an EBMM Sub-5, and i love the tones i can get out of it. Personally i think its great. The only thing i dont like is that if the tone doesnt fit a certain song, its hard to find the right one. But thats why i have my Ovation something-or-other with the onboard eq. Its sexy
i really don like stingrays (out of the 3 main EBMM basses)

that high g string sounds like ass rolled up in bad tone cream

bongos are my pick

if you cant afford one though (highly likely) then a sterling is a better choice

also if you hate that sound type thefitz mentioned then id have to recommend you a jazz or precision fender bass
hate humbuckers?

then a fender will be your wet dream
Soul Collector of the BassMilitia PM Dinkydaisy

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

You should've used the Pythagorean Theorem, BITCH

BLALLALALASSISSIS *shank*
Last edited by Synyster Gates at Mar 24, 2007,
Bongos are the cream of the crop
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
I love the sound and look but I hate playing them. If I had one I'd have to put that Tim Commerford finger rest on it, or play it with a pick.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
id take a stingray over a warwick anyday, and once i grad (08 thank god) i'll have one!
i love everything about them, looks, sound, playability.
their necks feel soooo good.
but different people like different things!
i love them personally
Put the right strings on and your stingray'll be the only bass you'll ever need.
Covers all tones if you know how to use it, and the action and neck feel are amazing.
I personally like a slight treble boost and use 40-100 gauge, tis good.
RHCP Fanatic! Fish Bass
Different people prefer different basses and it's all about your personal preference and the bass that suits your playing style or the sound your after.

Personally i own a 2006 MM Stingray and love it. Before that i owned a late 90s (1998 i believe) P-Bass and hated it. The only Fender i would ever buy would be a 60s-70s Jazz bass (if i ever have the money haha!). Personally i don't believe current Fenders compare to the MM in any way shape of form.

The only thing i don't like about my Stingray is the strings. I'm not a fan of EB strings and im gonna put some GHS boomers on it cos i feel the standard strings are too loose and i'm after a different scale and sound.

So yeah, haven't played a warwick but to be honest i don't want to. Like pretty much all Stingray owners i love mine and am happy to own it for the rest of my days!!!!
Page 1 of 3