Has that ever happened to you guys? The last two nights it seems I've been playing worse actually. Like my fingers and brain just don't jive and I struggle with licks I used to just smoke like nothing. I got really frustrated tonight when that happened.

I'm sure it's normal to have off nights. Maybe I'll take a break from those song or guitar all together for a few days, has that helped anyone or do you just power through it??

Thanks.
-Red 1990 Fender Strat with maple neck
-Cream colored Strat. GFS Premium II pickups.
-Line6 spider 210 and Fender Pinceton Chorus amps
-Zoom G2
No, last week was the first time in my life that I didnt touch the guitar for about 6 days, but thats because I slept all week because I had Pneumonia. I notice alot of players have off days though. Just put it down, take a breather, go walk outside, dont listen to music,and when you come back, learn a new song by a favorite artist, a new technique, or watch some videos of your favorite players/bands.
Yes, you have on and off nights, although more and more my off nights are because of lack of creativity and/or attitude, not as much the technical aspects.

Not that I have reached a plateau where I don't want to improve my techniqe, but I have a better idea now of what I can physically do at the current time, and during a live performance I should strive for interesting ideas within these technical limitations. Sometimes its there, sometimes it isn't.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Personally i dont believe in off nights or days..

Usually when this happens, it just means that my mind is not where its supposed to be. Thats what i think atleast.. like im not totally focused.

All you need to do are some warmups, strecthes, chromatics, and all your basic pre-jam exercises. All to a metronome of course..

That should be enough to get you going.
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
eric clapton has said that he likes to take time of of playing guitar sometimes.
i usually will try to take one day off a week. but i play about 10 hours a day. and usually if i pick up the guitar and im not feeling it, ill put it down for awhile.
always play first thing in the morning but never between breakfast and lunch...and you'll never have a bad day.
im with psychodelia, i don't really have off nights in a technical sense, but sometimes i just don't feel inspired to play. which is fine, it's not a constant thing. but i do remember when i first started that some days my technicality was on and some it wasn't. that goes away over time.
Sometimes I pick up the guitar, play it for a few minutes, then just get really tired of it and put it down and don't practice for the rest of the day. Other days I practice for hours without stopping. I think it is perfectly normal to have days where you aren't as good or enthusiastic. Remember, no one is great at something all the time
thanks for the comments, keep them coming.

It's nice to hear that I'm not alone. Who knows what it is, maybe it's just that day I don't feel inspired or something.

Spamwise, good post. I like that last comment, that makes me feel better. Some days I do play for hours and others I can't even keep going for 15 minutes.... only about 10% of the time do I NOT feel like playing so I think that's ok.

Thanks everyone.
-Zoom G2
Every human is different. But a lot of us *ARE* alike.

I find I don't play good guitar unless I really want to.

Just because I pick it up and play doesn't mean I want to. It means I don't have anything better to do.

Every once in a while I lose my stoke. Which to re-gain it, I just take a few days to a few weeks off. I que up some of my favorite music and play video games to it.

Nothing like Red Hot Chili Peppers + good FPS round to make me feel good inside.

That's the way we get by... it will come back, let it go for a while though. Occupy your mind with other things for a week or two, like boobies or somin...
Yeah. Guitar should be something you love, if it's gotten to a point where you're not enjoying it then maybe you should just take a break.
Right on, I still love to play but some nights it's just not in me... I'll just set it down for a smalll break and see.

Thanks guys, great posts.

FPS are awesome!
-Zoom G2
Ya, I'll pick it up all pumped to play, then like 15 minutes later I'll be...well not bored, but not in the mood. You know what I mean? lol Ah well, about an hr later I'll want to play again, and I usually stay in it most of the time. (does that even make sense?)

pepsi
yup, makes sense to me.

some days I'll be pumped and others I just don't feel it. I'll switch it up between singing songs and learning some lead playing. If I'm sick of learning little wing (SRV's version) then I'll start working on some john mayer songs or something.
-Zoom G2
LOL, so true.
-Zoom G2
I have 'em too, but I have a little solution for it (for me it helps anyways):

I put on Live Shit: Binge & Purge (you know, that live Metallica in Seattle 1989 DVD show) and go Whiplashing 'n thrashing all around the room so I get real pumped, run down the stairs, eat and drink something, watch the telly for about 15 minutes and then get back to my guitar, play some easy slow stuff for 5 minutes or something and I'm on fire again!!
It's called being drunk!
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by xtopher_aaron
Personally i dont believe in off nights or days..

Usually when this happens, it just means that my mind is not where its supposed to be. Thats what i think atleast.. like im not totally focused.

All you need to do are some warmups, strecthes, chromatics, and all your basic pre-jam exercises. All to a metronome of course..

That should be enough to get you going.

I'm mostly down. If I'm out of it, I meditate, and not set any goals for myself. It seems counterproductive, but really it isn't. You stop from getting frustrated about not being able to play something you once were, and just enjoy creating simply melodies, or making a chord progression sound great through tone and dynamic control. Then, before I know it, I am playing something complex.

I find meditation + calm and methodic practise = solution to a rut.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Yeah, this stuff happens to me on occasion. When it happens i usually put my guitar down for a while. Later that night i'll sit around and wonder about my actually guitar playing ability, and if i really actually feel like I'm at a state where i'm happy with it (but of course always striving for improvement). Then, I'll usually not feel like playing for a couple days. When i pick up the guitar again, everything flows back to me and i play for most of the day.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

I've noticed with me If im off Ill tune back to standard play some chords and harimonizations for a while than drop back down and Ill be good to go.
I know this thread is old news now, but I just stumbled across it.

I definitely have days like this.... I struggle with songs I usually breeze through without even having to think about.

But like someone else mentioned, it is because my mind is most likely wandering or I am stressing over something. Not giving my guitar 100% focus.