But I really want to broaden my musical interests. What would be a good song/band/whatever to start out with. Something that would go off on those jazz tangents that seem so common but still give me something to hold onto, if that makes any sense to anyone...
Quote by tubadude
i lost my virginity before my dad.

Click
Etta James... Youtube her video for Blind girl...

Try some Classic R&B ( Like Ray Charles and Marvin Gaye), and some old Motown...

Edit:

Here it is.... Duet with Dr. John...

She's got Soul man...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pyMd19sE6U4
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by rooster456 at Mar 21, 2007,
You should also maybe try some of this:

Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow
George Benson - Breezin'
Larry Carlton - Last Nite
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Mahavishnu Orchestra is a good place to start, also django rienhardt is pretty good too.
We never grasp self-realization, we are two abysses; A well staring at the sky.........
Quote by IROBOTInferno
Mahavishnu Orchestra is a good place to start, also django rienhardt is pretty good too.

Absolutely. Mahavishnu Orchestra is the perfect fusion of jazz and rock for someone new to the genre. Download the cd Birds of Fire; it's amazing.
Quote by n0selfesteem
Absolutely. Mahavishnu Orchestra is the perfect fusion of jazz and rock for someone new to the genre. Download the cd Birds of Fire; it's amazing.

Not bad. I'm almost getting a Dream Theater kinda feel from some of these songs.
Quote by tubadude
i lost my virginity before my dad.

Click
Jelly Roll Morton
Louis Armstrong
Ray Charles
Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Billie Holiday
Raasan Roland Kirk
Django Reinhardt
Thelonious Monk
Tom Waits
Ruth Brown
For the longest time I strongly disliked jazz too. Couldnt stand to listen to it really. The only exceptions being JB's Blow by Blow and Wired. Then I read the book "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac and it gave me a whole new appreciation for jazz and what it meant. Since then I've gone on to dig Wes Montgomery, Pat Methany, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk and tons of others.

Those "tangents", as you call them, arent just meaningless noise. I used to think that they were rather boring and that they never seemed to climax or peak emotionally because the artist wasnt really trying to say anything. Then as I listened more, I began to realize they were trying to say everything at once. That's really the beauty of jazz. Well, to me anyway.
I'm not the biggest jazz fan either, but I would highly recommend Triosk and (thanks to Resiliance) The Bad Plus. Someone above mentioned him, but Pat Metheny is also worth looking into.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I was never a jazz fan either, but once i started playing it i grew to like it. A few essential albums are Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Charles Mingus - Ah um, look into Dave Brubeck, i really like the song "take five". and of course you need some John Coltrane and Bird and Wes Montgomery. If you want some incredable jazz guitar look into Joe Pass. His cd Virtuoso is a good one.
I would start out with some fusion players to get going. It's not odd to not like jazz then get big into it, that is actually how alot of people get hooked. But once your into it, you will love it. I got the opportunity to see Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra last night, and I loved it.
Quote by DeathDealer
you people are daft

"You rise as high as your dominant aspiration, you descend to the level of your lowest concept of yourself. Free your mind and your ass will follow." Funkadelic

Member #7 of the Peavey is Amazing Club
If you get Mahavishnu Orchetra, get Bitches Brew by Miles Davis. Sometimes I have a hard time listening to Coltrane, I think Davis was better. Sketches in Spain, and Bitches Brew.
definetaly start with ray, and some nat king cole trio. its very accesible kind of jazz
Dave Brubeck- Take Five
Bela fleck(if you can consider his works as a werid bleugrass jazz fusion)
A night in Tunisia- DIzzy Gillespie
Miles davis- There is no greater love
BLack Orpheus- Luiz Bonfa
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by weezer ate cake
Not bad. I'm almost getting a Dream Theater kinda feel from some of these songs.

Of course Birds of Fire was recorded in 1973

but you know that
If you don't like jazz, you should try playing it. I didn't see how great it was until I started playing upright bass.
Joe Pass, Dexter Gordon, although I don't really know if Gordon is jazz, I haven't listened to any of his stuff in ages, and I didn't listen much.
Quote by KileManA7X
You sir, are an honorary genius! Take this badge, you made us proud!