make sure that all the strings are tuned correctly. my tuner says that they are in tune but i played wake me up when september ends and it doesnt sound right and i tuned it by ear playing different songs but it still aintfit
wake me up when september ends will never sound good no matter how your guitar is tuned.

EDIT: try scuttle buttin
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
Quote by rustic_metal
wake me up when september ends will never sound good no matter how your guitar is tuned.

EDIT: try scuttle buttin

qft

if your open strings are all in tune according to the tuner, just try a few chords. (the intro to wonderwall by oasis works great for that, and everyone knows it) and if those dont sound well you should check your intonation (which basically means: with good intonation, if your open strings are in tune, the notes on the 12th fret should be intune as well, you can adjust this by adjusting the saddles on your bridge, use the search function, there are a 100 topics about intonation).
Quote by bornfidelity
qft

lol why?
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
screw wake me up...

if you must like green day at least play longview on repeat or sth
Whats qft?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
is your tuner set to 440hz?
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
I usually play stairway to heaven as it uses pretty much every string and you can tell straight away if one string is slightly out of tune.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by Broken-pick
Whats qft?

quoted for the truth

I usually play Emaj once and I can tell if it's tuned correctly. That won't work if your guitar isn't properly intonated though.
Quote by Cecil Gonzales
I usually play stairway to heaven as it uses pretty much every string and you can tell straight away if one string is slightly out of tune.

i go with the same approach, also i play a Dm chord to checkl the bottom strings.
a g is the best or a bar chord because you can figure it out easier when you use all the strings at once
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
The general rule is to test a basic E Major chord.
"Only the dead have seen the end of the war..."
Check your intonation.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.