Hey guys,

Allright i have a standard Fender Jazz Bass, nothin special really, except i just had it fitted with some amazing EMG J-Set Replacement pickups. Their active and have this awesome sound and it got me thinking about what i ultimately want to do to this guitar.

Okay i have a freind who's dad is a veteran bass player and has a Jaydee bass which is similar to an Alembic but not quite of the same quality but its one of the finest instruments ive ever had the honour of playing. He says that his bass is wired so that the pickups can be changed from passive to active via a switch. He also mentions coil taps but that might be for a different bass, i dont really care about the coil taps i like the humbuckers much more than single coil, but you know it could be an option.

So my question is, is that even possible? to wire an electric bass (or guitar) so that the pickups in it so that they can run as active or passive? And if so is it possible with EMG's?

And if all that is possible here is what i want to do to make this baby unique, i wanna have it wired so it can switch from passive to active, and also put the switch where the input is at the moment on the front panel of the bass and move the input onto the side of the bass (like where the P bass has it).

Of course there is probably a lot more i could do to it, but i still love the sound and feel of a Jazz Bass so i don't want to change it too much.

Tell me what you think, i dont care if its 'man ur idea is crap' or 'that stupid ideas never gonna work' i need some feedback here! thanks a lot,
Browning.
Providing the pickups aren't themselves active (eg. an onboard pre-amp), it's definitely possible. I have a feeling you will need a different set of tone/volume controls though - active electronics generally take 25k pots whereas passive uses 250-1000k. I'll do a bit of researching into your pickups and the sort of EQ and see if I can come up with anything.

EDIT: Yep, the pickups themselves are active. If you switched them to passive, they wouldn't have enough output to make any sort of audible noise through your amp.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
ah k so if i wanted it to happen i would need some decent passive pickups. so whats the deal with making them active without the use of an onboard preamp?

btw thanks for the fast reply.

also good to see some Aussies on the board, ive been a member for a while but never really visited the forums til just now.
With EMG's, the pickups themselves have an extremely low output, which is boosted to the proper level by the pickups EQ (which is build into the pickup). Turning the EQ off (or disconnecting the power) stops the signal being boosted, so you don't hear it.
External pre-amps can be run with normal passive pickups (that have an output that doesn't need boosting before it gets sent to the amp). In this case, the EQ is used for a smaller boost and mainly EQ-ing the signal. If you turn the EQ off, the amp will still get the sound of just the passive pickups, which I'm assuming was what's going on with the bass you were talking about.
There's a fairly big number of Aussies on these forums, you just gotta know where to look and who to ask. Advertising it in your sig helps find them
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by jumpoffroof
hey thanks a lot for your help. appreciate it.

There's more Australians here than you think. I'm from Sydney.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard