Page 1 of 2
Okay this is the official announcement as to who's playing. It's not a bad lineup, relatively varied..the good bands will be on the smaller stages anyway. I'm considering going provided I get some people together soon and it doesn't sell out (I don't think it has).

That's not exactly great. The Friday looks bollocks (Sat & Sun don't look much better).
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Pumpkins, NIN, Arcade Fire, Peppers, Interpol? ****ing yes!

I wouldn't mind seeing Maximo Park, The Gossip, Bloc Party, The Subways etc either. Not the most groundbreaking and/or breathtaking bands, but somewhere between decent and inoffensive... Sunday definately looks like the one most worth the cash, purely for the two top names.

Shame about all those scenekid parasites, though.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Id pay just to see the chili peppers.. and how does Razorlight headline over Kings of Leon?

if I were in Europe id be there.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
^ razorlight are huge over here though.

i reckon you want a couple of good bands from the original lineup, then a couple more off the lower stages, i only really see about 7 bands a day when i went, id also like to check out the comedy stage a bit more too so plenty of options. its the experience more than anything, you want some bands you dont like so you can eat and rest and stuff. and drink.
There's a few I'd like to see there, Maximo Park, Ash, RHCP, Arcade Fire, Bloc Party, We Are Scientists, Smashing Pumpkins and LCD Soundsystem being the ones that jump at me...but I dunno if it's worth what they're charging in my eyes.

Although, if you were to be there when it was your birthday for example, that would be pretty ****ing sweet I'd imagine.

What a horrible line-up.

Out of those I'd go see Brand New (already seen them twice) and Biffy Clyro (seen once already).
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Arcade Fire, Interpol, The Subways, Klaxons and The Gossip are all good; a few others like Bloc Party maybe worth seeing, LCD Soundsystem & CSS I'll be seeing in London at Wireless, they're playing there too. Not really that great TBH.
Liking the Pumpkins, Ash, KOL and uhhh... +44

The rest I don't care about in the slightest tbh.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Pfft to razorlight headlining.

But yer a bit disappointing. Still theres 6-7 bands I would love to see there.

I haven't heard much of the twang's stuff, but saw there "somebodys gonna get chinned" quote in Q, so meh. to them.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
i'm pretty dissapointed by the line -up, especially that razorlight are headling, as we don't need johnny borrels ego to get even bigger, but Chili's, pumpkins, ash, we are scientists and the view can't be a bad thing
my books myspace
Here
read it, new chapter added every 2 weeks
Quote by fronkpies
Pfft to razorlight headlining.

But yer a bit disappointing. Still theres 6-7 bands I would love to see there.

I haven't heard much of the twang's stuff, but saw there "somebodys gonna get chinned" quote in Q, so meh. to them.

That's what I thought when I saw Razorlight as the headliners as well.
The Twang are alright, really like the recent single. It's got a bit of a U2 feel, but the vocal melodies sound like they're stolen from GCWCF.

Friday, worth seeing - The Gossip, Gogol, Ash (although they'll probably be rather crap these days).

Saturday there's a bit more of a choice - RHCP. Arcade Fire, We Are Scientists, The Twang. Bloc Party's albums are good, but I don't know about everyone else, they just don't make me want to see them perform.

Sunday - Nine Inch Nails and Funeral, but that's purely because there's not really anything else. +44 would probably end up a last resort.

Obviously there's more, and probably much better acts to follow, but at this stage, for my tastes, it wouldn't be worth £150 or whatever it costs.
Rob, you have said it right though in that it's just as much about the experience as the music.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
^ Well exactly, Andrew. I mean realistically speaking I hate Razorlight, not a huge Chili's fan, don't mind the Pumpkins. NIN are alright, obviously FFAF might be worth a punt, depending on what they play.

I was gutted really because last year (or was it the year before...) Iron Maiden headlined which I'd have loved to see but couldn't go. So on the headliners front I'm not thrilled but from recent Reading lineups and the obvious trendy direction it's headed in I'm thrilled that there's one or two bands I actually listen to on there at all. The later confirmations will be key. I think I'll get a ticket because I haven't been in 3 years and loved it last time.

Let's be realistic anyway, you can't have a festival with every single band you like on. Apart from anything else you wouldn't have time to go to the bar.
^ Reading and Leeds have always been the trendier of the British festivals anyway to be fair. Glastonbury and Isle of Wight aren't too far behind these days either.

A festival with a perfect line-up would be sweet though, it'd be a definite 'yes' rather than a slightly hesitant one even if you know you're not going to be able to catch every band on the bill.

RateYourMusic
I have my ticket *yay* and a wednesday pass too

the lineup thats announced is waay better than it was at this time last year. there will be loads of better bands announced for lockup stage and stuff.

but still, nomatter who was playing really (i'd probably have to like at least 3 or so of the bands a fair bit) i'd still go as long as my friends were going, purely because the festival atmosphre and stuff. but to be honest, i would quite like to see most of the bands that have been announced.

oh and brand new are my favourite band at the moment, their new album is soooo good so i will definitely be seeing them.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Quote by andrewbiles

The Twang are alright, really like the recent single. It's got a bit of a U2 feel, but the vocal melodies sound like they're stolen from GCWCF.

Interesting, they're playing here in April or May, I was gonna see if anyone would give them a reco, might have to go check them out...
the last day has the best line up but still sucks.
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
hopefully ill be going its not all good but id love to see nine inch nails again
I HATE YOU
Quote by _zac_
ill flame as much as i damn well please

suck my balls
Not a very good lineup. The Roskilde Festival Lineup is a lot better, and it isn't even complete. Muse, RHCP, Killers, The Who, My Chem Romance (well, they suck, but they're on the programme), Arcade Fire and Beastie Boys. Guess who's going there (yes, I am)
there are awesome line ups over here as well.. one festival with maximo park, interpol, scissor sisters, klaxons, arcade fire, clap your hands say yeah and some other bands i cant remember and another one with pearl jam, beastie boys, smahing pumpkins radiohead and muse!
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Quote by andrewbiles
^ Reading and Leeds have always been the trendier of the British festivals anyway to be fair. Glastonbury and Isle of Wight aren't too far behind these days either.

A festival with a perfect line-up would be sweet though, it'd be a definite 'yes' rather than a slightly hesitant one even if you know you're not going to be able to catch every band on the bill.
Well yes, it would make decisions about going easy, but also make ones whilst you were there very hard!

I guess Reading and Leeds have toned down a bit in recent years because Download gets the heavier bands confirmed first. Obviously Reading's more been about indie/alt sort of stuff than metal but there seems to be less heavy bands as time goes on. Although last year they had Mastodon so maybe I'm wrong. Also a lot of the headliners in recent years have been 'overnight' successes and there's less established bands high up the bill some days (The Darkness headlining above the Offspring was criminal).
^ Mastodon's album hit off quite well in the kind of indie community, so I guess that was partly the reason for them being there last year. You're right though, usually there'd be a few more of the slightly heavier bands. Although, saying that, Enter Shikari, LostProphets, FFAF and NIN do have their moments. LostProphets are meant to be a pretty decent act at festivals as well to get the crowd going.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
LostProphets are meant to be a pretty decent act at festivals as well to get the crowd going.

so i'd heard too, but i'd steer clear of their set, just to avoid hearing that godforsaken rooftops song

although i don't mind their old stuff
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
^ plus theres a decent chance of getting a lech at Fern Cotton who will doubtless be floating around with them somewhere.
NEWS: Weekend tickets now sold out (they actually sold out on Monday night but noone said anything)

The official website is absolute bollocks update-wise. Again.

You can still get day tickets for both sites and also some of the coach deal packages are available, but there was a massive ****-up involving many people getting confirmation emails and then being told their application was messed up and rejected AFTER the rest of the tickets had been sold out.

Once again, ebay is full of tickets already. Makes me sick.

I'm now thinking of heading up for a day or checking out Download, which I might be able to get into for free.
I take it you were one of the unlucky that got ****ed over then?
The whole ebay ticket thing is ridiculous. Why they can't try and implement a Glastonbury style scheme to try and stop the tickets going straight on there I don't know.

RateYourMusic
Did you hear how Glasto was done this year? I heard it was going to be, you go to Millets and get an application form, send that off with a passport photo, they then reply to you with login details of some kind, without which you can't login to buy tickets - and then the ones you get come with your photo on, so no eBay scam

Also they allowed you to buy up to 4 per person, so not as much of a bottleneck when buying for a group, which is a good touch as well.

Bravo Glasto!
Oh my ****ing God thats pitiful. Now to persuade my unkindred spirited mate into any of the other festivals instead.

Just gotta hope that the smaller stages even have something remotely worth seeing, granted; Leon, Arcade Fire FFAF and Klaxons will be worth seeing, but little else comes near to peeling me from the doleset glugs of the alcohol tent.

Current mood:
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
I wasn't one of the ones who got fucked over, but I didn't get a ticket though.

The whole eBay thing is ridiculous. I mean, okay, we all need to survive in life and sadly you need money to do that, but to do something like that really upsets me because it's a bunch of middleaged men in sheepskin coats capitalising on other people's love for music. It's easy money that's getting someone somewhere a bit rich, but it upsets me that people who genuinely want to go are being stopped from doing that. Apart from anything else, the tickets are ridiculously over-priced anyway AND they shoot up every year.

The Glastonbury ticket idea is at least going to stop the touts but what if you break your leg and then genuinely can't go? If that happened I'd want to use Scarletmist.com, where you can basically get rid of tickets you can no longer attend, without making any profit (i.e. you sell everything at face value) and then I could get my money back, and someone else who missed out can still go along. But if the tickets have photos on them you can't do that. So it's not perfect.
You know somethings worth missing when The View are top bill on a second stage.

I ****ing hate that bend, they're just so big and popular, but their musics shite.

Can't believe WaS would have to play second fiddle to that bunch of twits.

Other than that, RHCP and Pumpkins make GREAT headline acts for me, but mid-bill it seems a bit sketchy.
I wasn't one of the ones who got fucked over, but I didn't get a ticket though.

The whole eBay thing is ridiculous. I mean, okay, we all need to survive in life and sadly you need money to do that, but to do something like that really upsets me because it's a bunch of middleaged men in sheepskin coats capitalising on other people's love for music. It's easy money that's getting someone somewhere a bit rich, but it upsets me that people who genuinely want to go are being stopped from doing that. Apart from anything else, the tickets are ridiculously over-priced anyway AND they shoot up every year.

The Glastonbury ticket idea is at least going to stop the touts but what if you break your leg and then genuinely can't go? If that happened I'd want to use Scarletmist.com, where you can basically get rid of tickets you can no longer attend, without making any profit (i.e. you sell everything at face value) and then I could get my money back, and someone else who missed out can still go along. But if the tickets have photos on them you can't do that. So it's not perfect.

£200+ is stupid money for any three day festival really.
What Glastonbury now need to do is set up an exchange website where tickets are allowed to be exchanged for the regular price, they process them through and so can make changes to the tickets, in some way.
It is a bit of a drawn out process (I mean, what the hell is Millets?), but definitely going to work in stopping touts.

There was that whole thing about selling tickets to mobile phones at one point as well (think it was a Guns n Roses show), but then people can just sell the phone on.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
What Glastonbury now need to do is set up an exchange website where tickets are allowed to be exchanged for the regular price, they process them through and so can make changes to the tickets, in some way.
It is a bit of a drawn out process (I mean, what the hell is Millets?), but definitely going to work in stopping touts.
That sounds fairer, something like that. It's all really stupidly complicated but the way things happen now need to change. I don't think the eBay thing is ever going to stop though because its making eBay money too, and they keep saying it doesn't breach any of their rules (which is probably a lie, they just like the money).

Oh, and my brother works in Millets, it's a camping shop pretty much, bits of hiking and moor-walking, that kind of outdoor type thing.
Quote by tezhall

Although, if you were to be there when it was your birthday for example, that would be pretty ****ing sweet I'd imagine.

anyone who's off to leeds fest, feel free to join my party on the saturday night for my birthday
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
Quote by The Hurt Within
^ :O

ohhh now theres an offer.

aw steve you should come!
Quote by Kensai
I might just yet, although I wanted weekend and my useless housemate forgot to check the dates for tickets, so now we either wait for friends to give up tickets, or buy £200 ones - But I still plan to go.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
to leeds?! aceee
Quote by Kensai
Friday looks kinda shit (save for Interpol) but Saturday and Sunday's line ups look pretty ****in' good with the exceptions of Panic! at the Disco, Angels and Airwaves (WTF?) and Fallout Boy.

Psyched about Brand New and Biffy opening too.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Original Gangsta of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
Quote by kryptonite22
That sounds fairer, something like that. It's all really stupidly complicated but the way things happen now need to change. I don't think the eBay thing is ever going to stop though because its making eBay money too, and they keep saying it doesn't breach any of their rules (which is probably a lie, they just like the money).

Oh, and my brother works in Millets, it's a camping shop pretty much, bits of hiking and moor-walking, that kind of outdoor type thing.

It's in the ticket creators hands really. Like you say, ebay make too much money off it to put an end to it. The only way it's going to happen is if every big event is made for charity.

Ah, so Millets and Glastonbury have probably struck a good deal in hope that Millets will sell a lot more tents and boots and other stuff.

Earlier, talking of having a perfect line-up, this is pretty damn good (not everything to everyone's taste, but as a whole)...

MODEST MOUSE
MOGWAI
EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY
LES SAVY FAV
WILCO
THE THERMALS
OKKERVIL RIVER
BAT FOR LASHES
TWO GALLANTS
YOUTHMOVIES
SPARKLEHORSE
AKRON FAMILY
NOTWIST
ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN
DO MAKE SAY THINK
BRIGHTBLACK MORNINGLIGHT
SHELLAC
MICAH P. HINSON
THE BOOKS
GRIZZLY BEAR
PATTI SMITH
GHOST
SLINT

RateYourMusic
Page 1 of 2