Page 1 of 3
So i was playing my amp today, and the volume is at 2/3 of 1. that's pretty damn quiet, i was playing a Bach song, no distortion or effects, and it was at the point where i could barely hear the amp over the sound of my guitar strings. But lo and behold (what the hell does that even mean?) my mom gets pissed and starts yelling about how loud it is, and i kindly point out that you can barely hear it, and she just keeps yelling, and she takes the cords. Unreasonable? your damn right it is . Now to give a little background my brother has a ****ing fullsized cello, and he plays it in the middle of the ****ing house, not in his room, no doors around him, and my mom says its fine, but my amp with the volume under 1 is too loud? that's a bit of bullshit if you ask me. so once again i'm playing, this time it's at 1/2 of 1, and i honestly can't hear the amp over my strings, but my mom comes and there go the cords. i then ask her why my brother can have his cello sitting in the middle of the house, but i can't be in my room with 3 blankets over the door with my amp under one? she says it's amplified, that means its louder....I mean, how stupid is she? So i need a way to let her see that she's got a huge double standard, and i need her to let me play, help?
My mom usually doesn't say anything unless it's actually fairly loud, even then she just tells me to move my stuff into my room and won't complain about how loud it is if I'm in my room.

My friend's dad is in a band so whenever I'm over at his house we can shake the house with how much noise we make and they won't complain unless they're trying to sleep.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Throw a flash bang at him.
dude, balls to your mum and her double standards, my parents were like that...so i played with my fullstack cranked up to full, when they took the leads, i pulled out one of the many others i have hidden and kept going, they soon gave up, so now i can play as loud or quiet as i want, and they LOVE the sounds i make

lol
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
make a deal with your brother where he plays your guitar at about volume of 1 or 2 and then you play his chello... then see if she says anything to you or your brother... if she still yells at you turn your amp to 11 with a ton of distortion and play.... lol
This happens to me a lot with the people downstairs (who are rather hypocritical by having parties going on at night until 4 with loud guests and extremely loud music). I just ignore thier requests to turn it down because they never turn it down when we ask them politely...(Incase you're wondering also, they had the parties before I got my amp...and I never have my amp on loud unless I'm sure everyone is out). So just ignore her.
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
i feel your pain man. i havent turned up my amp past one ever. but my parents complain all the same. i just crank it up to piss them off sometimes. make sure you have some extra cords lying around. that way, if she takes the one(s) you're using, you can keep playing.
Quote by mental_zer0
Do you have a basement? I crank it up down there.

no, i'm thinking more like tricking her, because she never thinks she's wrong, i mean, the other week she was asking about school, and i said we were doing a chapter on energy and she goes: you know watts is a measure of force? and i said no it was a measure of power, but she wouldn't give up, and she even looked in old college books trying to prove me wrong, she will not take any one else's opinion.so i was thinking since she says electrics are always louder , i would jam the hell out of my accoustic and she'd no doubtedly come and see that i was playing accoustic....but i don't know.
Last edited by si! at Mar 21, 2007,
Makes me realize how lucky I am to have parents that tell me to turn it up.

Take it outside? Sometimes playing outside can be lovely.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Probably on her period...

jk

break your brothers cello, your cooler than him, you play guitar

, nah, he's not a bad cello player, i'm not mad at him, just my mom. i'm thinking about cranking it like you all said and hiding my extra cords.
Quote by papersun87
Wow, I guess I never realized how fortunate I was to have parents that let me turn my amp up to at least 3 and never complain . . . sometimes they ask me to close the door, but I've certainly never had anything like THAT happen.

god, i would give my left testicle to be able to do that.
Quote by Time Bomb
buy headphones

+1

...3/4 of 1???!!

thats f'ed up lol

i play with headphones all the time out the mixer as i do lots of work with the looper pedal and recordings but thers times when ill turn the micro cube on with the high distortion amp and full gain...ill keep the knob around 8 or 9 O' clock
I think the loudest I've been was all the way up to 10 out of twelve. Of course you have to be that loud to be heard over drums though.

Have you looked into a guitar ace? It's like a mini-amp that you can plug headphones into.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Quote by AcsticRckr89
make a deal with your brother where he plays your guitar at about volume of 1 or 2 and then you play his chello... then see if she says anything to you or your brother... if she still yells at you turn your amp to 11 with a ton of distortion and play.... lol

agreed, turn that shit up with some nasty distortion and show her what loud is.
Quote by moody07747
+1

...3/4 of 1???!!

thats f'ed up lol

i play with headphones all the time out the mixer as i do lots of work with the looper pedal and recordings but thers times when ill turn the micro cube on with the high distortion amp and full gain...ill keep the knob around 8 or 9 O' clock

yea, i'll probably get headphones for later at night, but there's no reason i shouldn't be able to play during the day, and have her yell at me.
I have my 20watt bass up quite load. About 3-4 and my sister complains alot, saying she cant concentrate when doing her University assignments (Boll0cks is she, she's far too busy on Myspace). On some days i might have it on 1 1/2 or 2 and she'll complain about the vibrations and stuff or something. Pussy's.
you can either continue to play loud or you can use her ignorance to help you get some new gear, like a pandora that you can use headphones with but until then CRANK IT and shred
Quote by garden of grey
Turn your amp to 10 and play Smoke on the Water until her head explodes

And after that, post pics
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I say play as loud as you can and when she comes in to yell at you just keep playing as if you can't hear her
Member of "Marty Friedman>you" club

Quote by Confined Rage
you got wanked off by a fucking cat, at least you got some form of pussy.
Play with only your guitar....or do that switch suggested by AcsticRckr89....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
wait until your mom is being load, then complain to her that you can't hear your strings over her. also, the acoustic/hidden cords ideas are genius too. crank it up!
Wireless....

"I swear mom, it's not plugged in! Look!"
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
I feel sorry for you mate. I went through a phase with my mum where I wasn't allowed to play in the amp after 10pm because she wanted silence for sleep... So I couldn't walk about, watch a film, strum too hard on my unplugged guitar, have any lights on... But then I moved out, and when I returned she was so happy to see me she forgot about hating me
My mom would never touch my guitar chords. She knows what's good for her.

EDIT: ok, so my mom is just awesome. And I only live at home in the summers while going to college, and I live in the basement.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
Last edited by PlayTheMetal at Mar 21, 2007,
Get those headphones that plug directly into your guitar, they're so sweet. They are nice for practicing, but dont have distortion.
I know what you are going through. You are just going to have to talk to your Mum, and get your point across no ****ing matter what. Try and get your Dad to be sympathetic and on your side
Quote by Chimpy101
I know what you are going through. You are just going to have to talk to your Mum, and get your point across no ****ing matter what. Try and get your Dad to be sympathetic and on your side

ah, my parents are separated so that won't work, but my dad let's me pump it , so that's good, but like i said earlier, my mom will not listen to me, my earlier post:

"no, i'm thinking more like tricking her, because she never thinks she's wrong, i mean, the other week she was asking about school, and i said we were doing a chapter on energy and she goes: you know watts is a measure of force? and i said no it was a measure of power, but she wouldn't give up, and she even looked in old college books trying to prove me wrong, she will not take any one else's opinion.so i was thinking since she says electrics are always louder , i would jam the hell out of my accoustic and she'd no doubtedly come and see that i was playing accoustic....but i don't know."
Some thing to try: (many of these have already been suggested)
Play with headphones
Play without the amp
Try the second one first, if she says it's still too loud, point out that a cello is a lot louder than an unamplified guitar and she's being a biotch and showing favoritism to your brother.
At this point, ask her if she would tolerate you playing with headphones instead of battling about it all the time. If she still wont listen, THEN show her what loud really is (I hope you can induce some cascading feedback on your amp so you can really annoy her, that drives my mom insane. If you can play pinches, let 'em squeal.) If the biotch takes away your cable, get another one. Anything to show her that this is what your do, and if she likes hearing the cello better, TOO DAM BAD!

But remember: try to work out a compromise first, then you don't have to hide a bunch of cables.

EDIT: a agree with you all: she's probably having a midlife crisis
does she do this a lot?
if this is recent, just give it a few days to blow over. Women are so strange when they do that
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this

Quote by amazing FretMan
i ripped part of my foreskin off...oh well

Member #9 of the iPods Suck Balls Club, PM Oblivious16037 to join.

My UG Profile
Last edited by EVH_iS_g0d at Mar 21, 2007,
Quote by si!
god, i would give my left testicle to be able to do that.

Been there

Really though, its probably just a midlife crisis type situation. Just give it some time and she'll chill out.
Quote by alecoholic
i thought it would be funny to crap in the top of my friends toilet and mid crap his mom walked in on me...

Founder of the UG Paintball Club
UG Paintball Club Group Page
dude, just show her what loud is. Then she'll wont bitch when you play on 1-2.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Page 1 of 3