i am going to try painting my guitar for the first time. it was a 135 dollar les paul copy and i wanted to try to make a burst-effect, like a silver burst. i don't know how hard this will be, but how do you suppose i could go about doing it?
98 Epiphone Flying V Korina (Gibson '57 Classic and Classic Plus)

BD-2

Sovtek Mig-50
1979 Marshall 1960A (original Greenbacks)
thanks i will probably try to go that route.

another question i had: do i have to completely take out the electronics? i have never taken out pick-ups or anyting and i was just planning on sanding around all that. also, with a set neck, i was planning on painting the neck and headstock as well. essentially what i am getting at is: MUST i take out every metal piece on the guitar? (tuners, pickups most importantly because i don't know how to go about putting them back)

BD-2

Sovtek Mig-50
When I sanded down my bass color and did a natural finish, I left the electronics in the bass and put everything in plastic bags to protect them from dust. This worked, but if I did this again, I would take out everything. It's not hard to solder everything back again, ask your dad if he knows how to do it (I assume that you are "that" young )

The other hardware, tuners, bridge and stuff like that, comes off very easy and is just to put back on again. Does your guitar has a hardtail or tremolo?

Ask more if you wonder anything, good luck!
I have no idea what I'm talking about. Don't belive me.
i'm 19 lol, but i have never taken my guitars apart. while this is an experiment, i still treasure this guitar, i just don't want to take something off that i can't get back on.

you would not advise taping off the pick ups and painting around?

BD-2

Sovtek Mig-50
I would advice you to get all the electronix out. Take some photos and draw some diagrams how everything is connected before. The worst thing that could happen is that you **** up soldering, and have to go to a guitar shop and let them solder for you. I did this once, and the nice guy at my local store did it for free.

It will be a LOT easier to paint without some pups hanging out of the front.

And if you are feeling insecure about getting everything back on, sort everything with labels.

What guitar is it that you are planning to do this to?
the third guitar in my sig

it was cheap, but i still like it. i don't care what it looks like if i **** up the paint job. i just dont want to have to put more money into it if i mess up the electronics. my plan was: masking tape around the pickups, then over them. take off the knobs, tuners, hardtail, bridge, and tape over the pickup selector. sand the whole body. 2 coats of grey primer. fine sanding. one more coat. 2 coats of silver. 1 go over with black to make that burst effect. 3 coats of clearcoat/lacquer. polish. fin.

think that will work? the paint doesn't have to be amazing. i just wanted to get rid of white. thats mostly why i am doing this. it doesn't have to be perfect.

BD-2

Sovtek Mig-50
what an ace idea, i love the old les paul custom silverbursts, might have to buy a cheap copy and have a go myself
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Yeah that would work. If you do a good maskDo ing job I'm sure it will turn out fine.
Do a maching silver burst to the headstock as well, that would be nice.
alright cool. thanks for the input!!

BD-2

Sovtek Mig-50