Who has heard of him? He did a song called "Love comes in spurts". It also appeared on the pump up the volume soundtrack. Some real kick ass shit from 1980 or so.
Neither have I until recently. Hes an example of a new discovery of mine. Like I heard his song off pump up the volume several times but couldn't read the credits too well and there it was the other day when I searched for the song title lol.
Best Richard Hell song is Blank Generation. It's a punk classic. Johnny Thunders covered it, too.
Quote by Zardokk
Best Richard Hell song is Blank Generation. It's a punk classic. Johnny Thunders covered it, too.

That's with the Voidoids, is it not?

Is Richard Hell the guy who used to wear that 'Please Kill Me' t-shirt?
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
I haven't not heard of him.

This is jsut as dumb as those "ne1 ever hear of op ivy?" threads.

And not 1980 or so. Mid 70's.
Yes, Richard Hell is directly associated with the Voidoids. They were his band. His most well known material was done with the Voidoids. As far as the please kill me thing...I dunno...he probably did. He really created that whole "punk" look all the UK bands were using in the late 70s. He was in Television and The Heartbreakers prior to starting the Voidoids.
Yah, I love his stuff with the Voidoids. "Blank Generation" is fucking awesome.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Blank Generation is a classic record and Robert Quine and Ivan Julian were fantastic at guitar.
i heard him abillion times, he was orginally part of the early Television as bassist but they kicked him out or something, so he recorded "Blank Generation" good good stuff, i'm surpirsed you guys don't know himm, early punk/proto-punk

Quote by Doolittle
i heard him abillion times, he was orginally part of the early Television as bassist but they kicked him out or something, so he recorded "Blank Generation" good good stuff, i'm surpirsed you guys don't know himm, early punk/proto-punk

I think most people who said that were joking.

Richard Hell made some of the best music ever. He's also a punk icon, and he's largely responsible for punk fashion.
Everyone should stop complaining because after an influx of Good Charlotte threads...I'd prefer to talk about people *kind of* knowing Richard Hell
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
I wish more people in Austin listened to Richard Hell.

Maybe I could find a guitarist who worships Robert Quine, instead of those that worship Richie Stotts (Plasmatics) and Kerry King (Slayer).

I asked someone once, why metal was so popular in the South and his reply was "Cuz you can just , you know, rock and you don't have to think."
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Quote by johnnynemo
I wish more people in Austin listened to Richard Hell.

Maybe I could find a guitarist who worships Robert Quine, instead of those that worship Richie Stotts (Plasmatics) and Kerry King (Slayer).

I asked someone once, why metal was so popular in the South and his reply was "Cuz you can just , you know, rock and you don't have to think."

what does that tell you?

metal is dumb.

Did he play on Marquee Moon, or did Television sack him before that?
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by VoodooChild15
Did he play on Marquee Moon, or did Television sack him before that?

they got rid of his ass before that! i heard it was cause they didn't wanna play his Blank Generation song, but i don't know if it's true

Quote by waterproofpie
Everyone should stop complaining because after an influx of Good Charlotte threads...I'd prefer to talk about people *kind of* knowing Richard Hell

... ....ouch

Yeah, I listen to Richard Hell and the Voidoids, they're pretty cool. My favorite song is The Kid With the Replaceable Head, but Blank Generation is a close second. Also, they were like, the first punk band to play at CBGB's, and supposedly actually helped build the stage. I like Television too, but the Voidoids have that wierd energy appeal
nope they kicked him out cos he wasnt too good on the ol' bass, and he was a major junkie. he's really good tho, blank generation is such a class tune!
the chicken boo lookalike of the bass millitia
PM IndieMetalhead to join
He wrote Please Kill Me on his shirt with a target on it, and they named the book after that.

He was also in the Heartbreakers with Johnny Thunders but I think he left, maybe he got kicked out, I don't know. He wanted to be the leader of the band, but couldn't since Johnny Thunders was in it, so he started the Voivoids.
I may have that story a little mixed up.

And Television kicked him out because he sucked too much at bass.

Dee Dee Ramone tried out for Television before the punk scene even really started, but he couldn't play one note at all so they rejected him.
yeah richard hell was a MAJOR heroin addict with thunders and krew. but yeah, he absolutey rocks tho
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Has anyone come across any recordings by The Neon Boys, or Television with Hell?

All I've got are the two Neon Boys track on the Spurts compilation. And there was a sweet song from 1974 with Television practicing, but it's been removed from youtube. The bastards
Bump.

I got Blank Generation a few days ago and I've been listening to it a lot today and I must say I'm really impressed. I really like it. This is what punk should sound like. Too bad the original artsy scene in New York City got their name stolen by ridiculous nihilists like Sex Pistols.

I'm gonna get my ass kicked for saying that.
^That's more or less how I feel!
So we can get kicked together.

Richard Hell defines the world to me. Read his books. They're worth it.
DOWN&OUT
Last edited by Jett Diamond at Nov 5, 2007,
So fucked up and glorious. He's a very good writer. Witty and subtly shocking, but it's clear that disgusting you isn't his goal. He's one of the few who can pull off writing about absolutely nothing and leave you wanting more. When reading his books, you get the feeling that he doesn't care anyone else is reading them and that he's just laughing in the worlds face.

Go Now is the more straight forward of his two novels, where as Godlike focuses on self exploration and contemplation of the world (yet it's still a fictionally true story).
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Doolittle

lol n00b!

there is some new news on this guy, idk if anyone has heard yet, but he is making a movie which he wrote, and will act in and he directed. it is about aging or something...i think there are clips on youtube, he looks weird now...
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Yeah all the clips have been really good so far. He may look a bit creepy, but he always was haha. I can't wait for it to be finished.

He's also working on an autobiography, which I for one am interested in.
DOWN&OUT
I just got Spurts and have been listening to it non stop. I love Richard Hell.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Yes. Yes it is. Blank Generation (the album) is one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard. Can't go wrong with Destiny Street either.
Unless you feel like being casual (or are dying for the extra songs) you could pick up Spurts, but I say get the original albums.
DOWN&OUT
Spurts is worth it for the Neon Boys stuff and extra Hell related tracks.

I need to get Destiny Street one day.