I'm a guitar player and i can tell the differences between a guitar for metal and a guitar for light cleans and jazzy stuff, soft rock, light ballads, etc. ya know. i know the differences because of wood types, some woods sound deeper than others, and pickups, some pickups are made for distortion like hell (like my EMG 81 i cant get a clean tone out of it, lol).

But for bass, seeing that for the most part bass is played cleanly, what separates a metal bass from a light-genre-based bass?

I hope im wording it ok and i make sense, if not just tell me to delete this and i will. but anyhow, im not knocking bass or anything, just wondering.
Distortion, lol. Actually, I have j-pick ups on my bass but I play all sorts of music, from blues to death metal. But yeah, I don't use too much distortion I prefer a clean-deep tone. For me the deeper the better.

I would imagine that humbuckers would be good for metal though.
If it tickles and doesn't burn, it's ok.
it really depends how you set it: most any bass can be used for metal, and depending how you set the amp, tone, and of course how you (finger) pick, it gets a crunchier, heavier sound. what really gives that beautiful finishing touch to a metal band's sound is how the bass is set, and that depends on how the guitars sound of course.

i cant think of any great examples at the moment, but take lacuna coil - our truth: the bass is huge! now, if you put that sound on master of puppets..... well, you get the idea - its too much. its really about the proper frequency and tone at the proper time!

hope this helped! ...and, well a fretless isnt much good in metal, but theoretically it would still sound good (you'd have to reinvent playing methods though!)
Quote by toolmns
hope this helped! ...and, well a fretless isnt much good in metal, but theoretically it would still sound good (you'd have to reinvent playing methods though!)

Unless you're Steve DiGiorgio.

But anyways, for some EQ settings, scoop the mids. I would suggest humbuckers for pickups, and mahogany for a body wood. EMGs are just great all around, for bass.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
The difference is that usually the EQ is set higher and gain is added. Mids are also added, aswell as distortion.

Though, from my experience in metal, tone really doesnt' matter because the Bass is at such a low volume, and the guitars are tuned down soo much, and their tone is soo deep and thick anyway that a Bass is eseentally there jsut to say "WE HAVE A BASSIST LIEK EVERY OTHER BAND!" when the Bass just plain isn't needed.

Damn metal sucks from that prespective....
Quote by Fast_Bear
The difference is that usually the EQ is set higher and gain is added. Mids are also added, aswell as distortion.

Though, from my experience in metal, tone really doesnt' matter because the Bass is at such a low volume, and the guitars are tuned down soo much, and their tone is soo deep and thick anyway that a Bass is eseentally there jsut to say "WE HAVE A BASSIST LIEK EVERY OTHER BAND!" when the Bass just plain isn't needed.

Damn metal sucks from that prespective....

For some metal, I agree with you. Have a listen to "Kill 'Em All" by Metallica, and tell me the bass isn't prominent though. They use standard tuning, too. The only band I like that tunes down really far on their instruments are Cannibal Corpse, and their bassist (Alex Webster) gets his fair amount of solos, doesn't play just roots, etc. And his bass can be heard through the mix to boot! I have to agree with you though in a lot of cases, the bass needs to be turned UP. There's a lot of hidden talent in the metal world, a fair bit of their bassists have substantial skill.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Quote by Your41Plague12
For some metal, I agree with you. Have a listen to "Kill 'Em All" by Metallica, and tell me the bass isn't prominent though. They use standard tuning, too. The only band I like that tunes down really far on their instruments are Cannibal Corpse, and their bassist (Alex Webster) gets his fair amount of solos, doesn't play just roots, etc. And his bass can be heard through the mix to boot! I have to agree with you though in a lot of cases, the bass needs to be turned UP. There's a lot of hidden talent in the metal world, a fair bit of their bassists have substantial skill.

And Necrophagist too. Only Ash Remains?
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
It doesn't matter what kind of bass you use for metal the same way it doesn't matter what guitar you use. There are great metal bands out there with every kind of guitar and every kind of bass.
You need to add treble in my experience. In Thrash which is what I play i have bass and treble full on and mids half way. This gives a brighter sound. Using roundwound strings helps too. Solo your bridge pickup if you have one and pick closer to the bridge for a punchier sound
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Quote by Your41Plague12
Unless you're Steve DiGiorgio.

But anyways, for some EQ settings, scoop the mids. I would suggest humbuckers for pickups, and mahogany for a body wood. EMGs are just great all around, for bass.

No, no, no, no. Scooping the mids on your bass a big no no, unless you want to be drowned out.
turning the mids about a little after the middle should be good, too much mids will lose volume
I think any bass could be used for metal as long as it is decent, the amp should be decent too, then you can move up to more higher end stuff
I play in a death metal band and I play an Ibanez SRX300 and sometimes run it straight to the PA because I have a small amp

THE TREND IS DEAD!
Quote by Your41Plague12

I can't find that song to download it. (through google and free dlownload sites) got any others?
Quote by Fast_Bear
I can't find that song to download it. (through google and free dlownload sites) got any others?

It's an album.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

It's all good, but I'm warning you, the bass is very prominent when he has it on clean. When it's distorted, it's lost in the mix. "The Four Horsemen" is a great starting point, along with (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth, and Jump In The Fire.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist