i want to learn this incredible song by eric johnson, what delay setting should i use for this song? i no in the more distorted parts its just echo but at the begining he gets some sweet sound, i want to get a dvd with an instructional lesson on how to play it, what are some good dvds that do this?
Want to know a better way to learn the song? It will help you a lot more as a guitarist too. Get the sheet music for it, and then download the song and learn it. Dont worry about the delay settings and effects right now, its alot easier to learn a song clean, with no effects.
what if i transcribed it my self? would that be better/worse/thesame as what you suggested?

what key is it in?
Last edited by The_0thersid3 at Mar 21, 2007,
^Yea, transcribe it for yourself, the whole way.
And work out the key yourself, that's part of playing by ear.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Here's a secret to EJ's tone... You know that tone knob on your guitar that you've probably never touched? Roll it back and use the bridge pickup.
^How far would you recommend to bring it back? Course I'll play around with it but I'm asking what works for you
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
I forgot about the delay settings, try setting the rate somewhere around 550ms.

This Kidd Roll it back all the way and then gradually open the pot. Just use your ears to determine what you think sounds best.
^ok mate. But hang on.. I thought the 3 knobs on the strat were 1 overall volume, 2 - neck pickup tone and 3 - middle pickup tone... :S?

I didn't think strats had a tone knob for the bridge pickup?
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
I think, the one tone pot worked with the bridge pickup. I don't really remember, I don't have my Strat anymore. Just play around and figure out which knob control what.

Most guitarists don't even bother with their guitars tone pot(s)? I don't know why. If you see Joe Bonamassa live, he's always playing around with the tone pots. You have a lot more control with the tone pot that you'd expect, you just need to know how to use it with your sound.
isnt the song played in E?
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
It's in G

Put your middle figger on the G note @ 8th fret of B string
Use that as your hook piont.

it's easier to pick some part of the song using your fingers or pmi.
I alternate between my thumb and middle finger.
Last edited by Ordinary at Mar 21, 2007,
Quote by This_Kidd
^ok mate. But hang on.. I thought the 3 knobs on the strat were 1 overall volume, 2 - neck pickup tone and 3 - middle pickup tone... :S?

EJs strat does, thanks for the help guys, im using a lespaul that has been semi hollowed-ified(?) so that it sounds similar to an SG (EJ used one ocasionall) but still has the looks and cool factor and sustain of a les paul but with a little more quack than usual.

what album is cliffs of dover on? is there an EJ album that you would recomend to get some one into him.
Last edited by The_0thersid3 at Mar 22, 2007,
Quote by The_0thersid3
what album is cliffs of dover on? is there an EJ album that you would recomend to get some one into him.

Cliffs of Dover is on Ah Via Musicom.

Here's what you want to pick up by EJ:

-Tones
-Ah Via Musicom
-Live In Austin, TX DVD and/or CD
-Bloom

Those are my favorites and definitely some of his best work to date.
Quote by Guitarmiester
Here's a secret to EJ's tone... You know that tone knob on your guitar that you've probably never touched? Roll it back and use the bridge pickup.

+1

roll it back to like 3-5. Or, just lay off the treble a bit. EJ's sound is heavily influenced by jazz so more mids and less treb.

BTW, he uses a memory man on that i think
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Quote by This_Kidd

They don't.....Normally!!

Johnson and Braun also included one of Eric's most famous Strat modifications by wiring the tone controls to the neck and bridge pickups, instead of the standard neck/middle tone configuration of most Strats.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Artist-Series-Eric-Johnson-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103054987-i1146843.gc
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by The_0thersid3
EJs strat does, thanks for the help guys, im using a lespaul that has been semi hollowed-ified(?) so that it sounds similar to an SG (EJ used one ocasionall) but still has the looks and cool factor and sustain of a les paul but with a little more quack than usual.

I frickin' love Venis Isle. I play (on my playlist ) S.R.V., Lonely in the Night, and Manhattan a lot. Luckily, they're back-to-back. Manhattan was the first song I heard by Eric (on G3), followed by S.R.V. Lonely in the Night was on the CD, of course. I love the song, and the solo is orgasmic. Like. Seriously. Hell, a lot of his solos are orgasmic. Listen to that TONE, man
oh dude, i'm just learning that note-for-note myself. i'm about halfway through learning it. here's a sound sample of that song that i recorded when i first started learning it. i'll try to add a complete recording soon. i know it needs some work, but i think the tone is getting pretty good. let me know if you want gear info and settings of this tone.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=756092&content=songinfo&songID=5824813
Quote by The_0thersid3

Actually, EJ used his ES335 on the recording of COD.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Serendipity
I frickin' love Venis Isle. I play (on my playlist ) S.R.V., Lonely in the Night, and Manhattan a lot. Luckily, they're back-to-back. Manhattan was the first song I heard by Eric (on G3), followed by S.R.V. Lonely in the Night was on the CD, of course. I love the song, and the solo is orgasmic. Like. Seriously. Hell, a lot of his solos are orgasmic. Listen to that TONE, man

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?