Ok which would be best for a clean sound cos i only need a clean sound cos i use pedals for distortion. I thought of the crate powerblock and using my vox as a pre amp but i also thought about getting a laney lc15r would the laney be any gd for keeping up with a whole band and a bassist with a 300 watt bass amp? I would have a 2x12 cab with the power block or any other amp heads but yeh

Valve or solid state
If you're looking for solid state I can't tell you much but if you want a tube amp with amazing clean tone, I'd try and find a vintage Fender Twin. I've got a mid-70's Twin and it's got the cleanest, crispest tone I've ever heard.
fender twin reverb. cannot beat its clean tone anywhere. 85 watt combo with 2 12's will keep up with your bass player. i have a twin reverb 2, 105 watts. no problem in the volume capabilities. can find them on sale everywhere for around 1100 USA. it will be the last amp you need to buy unless you play stadiums. and they are tube, or valve as you call them. i like the o/d in the amp itself but for heavy metal you would want to use your pedals as you have stated. it will make your epi and schecter sound like they were made to sound.
\m/(>_<\m/
ROCK ON!!

Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Twin Reverb II 105 Watts
Takamine EG-330 cutaway elec/acoustic
Ibanez Demon Wah Pedal
Various Effect Pedals
fender has the twin reverb '65 reissue out now. sweet.
\m/(>_<\m/
ROCK ON!!

Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Twin Reverb II 105 Watts
Takamine EG-330 cutaway elec/acoustic
Ibanez Demon Wah Pedal
Various Effect Pedals
dude, powerblock is freakin' awesome!! i bought one after christmas and bought the marshall mg series 4x12 cab to go with it. best thing i've ever done! i use a line 6 pod xt live and i've plugged it straight into the input jack and through the effects loop and it sounds great either way. if you need nothing but a clean channel then the powerblock is definitely what you need.
Quote by mrperson
Ok which would be best for a clean sound cos i only need a clean sound cos i use pedals for distortion.

If great distortion is important to you, you may want to re-think your whole premise and look into an amp that does it right.

Quote by Eladamri
All the Fenders I have ever used hated having a distortion pedal through them. Just my two pence.

I wouldn't go that far, but I definitely find that OD/distortion pedals get lost in the big cleans of, say, a Fender Twin.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Buy a Fender Twin.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Roland Jazz Chorus ftw.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Sound City FTW! MASSES of headroom, and great vintage British valve tones.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
the laney probably wouldn't be too good because it probably doesn't have enough clean headroom. i think roland jazz choruses have amazing cleans.
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
Yea, Sound City or Hiwatt.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by OBMGuitarist
If you're looking for solid state I can't tell you much but if you want a tube amp with amazing clean tone, I'd try and find a vintage Fender Twin. I've got a mid-70's Twin and it's got the cleanest, crispest tone I've ever heard.

ahhh i hate you!!! i want you twin!
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Like said, I'd reccommend a Fender Twin Reverb. Amazing cleans. Lovely stuff, they are.
Quote by mrperson
well i cant afford a fender all i can afford is a blues junior and that is 15 watt valve oh i saw a 200 watt crate but I'm not sure if it is a valve amp.

both of them look good cos they are like £250 and £270 so I can afford them but the powerblock is just sooo cheap

A 200W Crate is not valve. As for the powerblock, you get what you pay for.

Looking at GAK, you could get a 30W Laney combo in the same price range as a Fender Blues Jr., and 30 valve watts will do a decent job of keeping up with a 300W bass amp (believe it or not!).

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
ahh the lc302 i have played one of them and loved its overdrive it did metal...and i was playing an ES335.

or the other one? i dunno the one the guy from razorlight uses?
I dunno at the mo I'm modding my samick but I dont have much money it will take an awful long time to save for a £400 odd amp so i dunno but it will take awhile i'll be back once the samick is done
Quote by R_H_C_P
Buy a Fender Twin.

Quote by FacingUsAll
Roland Jazz Chorus ftw.

Those are certainly great clean amps, but I don't know how well they'll serve the thread starter when he says:

Quote by mrperson
i only need a clean sound cos i use pedals for distortion.

I know the Twin doesn't take OD/dist well, and I'd think the Roland does an even worse job.

IMHO, the whole premise is flawed.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
BTW, I might like to add to the Sound City notion that Sound Cities and Hiwatts (being pretty much identical BTW) both take pedals very well.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
I think you're stuck in a situation where you're gonna have to buy an amp with a good clean and distortion sound. You can buy a vintage Fender, the ones that Slatsmania calls "Rivera era" .
The price for them isn't really that high anyway.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
You can buy a vintage Fender, the ones that Slatsmania calls "Rivera era" .
The price for them isn't really that high anyway.

Super Champ ftw!
Quote by J_J
fender twin reverb. cannot beat its clean tone anywhere.

times..... one million!
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Johnny Borrell uses a VOX AC30 and Bjorn uses a Laney VC30. The Laney is essentially "the poor man's AC30".
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by paintITblack39
You can buy a vintage Fender, the ones that Slatsmania calls "Rivera era" . The price for them isn't really that high anyway.

The "Rivera era" was only a couple years. 1982-84, I believe. Small window for some very unique Fender amps. I've seen mine going in the $700 range plus shipping on eBay, which is probably a decent deal on a 60W point to point hand-wired amp. The Superchamps from the same period are fetching close to $500.

Awesome cleans and unexpectedly ballsy gain from a Fender amp. I'd certainly recommend it.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.