Hey!

I am about to close the deal on a Fender Deville 60 W 4x10. It's a year old, and is described as "very good condition, used for studio recording only." I am paying about 800$ for one- however, in Denmark, a new one of them would cost aroud 1400$, så I am saving a lot!

I haven't tried it out yet- this friday I am going to town to try the amp out and close the deal. I want to know your guys' opinions on the amp, and what things I should check it out for. I have a friend who I think is pretty well-versed in amp technology, so I am gonna bring him along, but the more comments, the better.

Secondly, a little about me, so I can get some opinions on as to if this is the amp for me. I have been playing guitar for a little over a year, but I take it pretty seriously. I love classic rock, from Allman Brothers to Pink Floyd to Lynyrd to Zep... However, I like some kinds of metal/grindcore, for example Children of Bodom and Unearth. I don't count on getting a metal sound out of the Deville, but it'd be cool if I could.

Lastly, I am planning on getting a Epiphone Black Beauty LP this summer, as well as some new pedals. A wah, a tube screamer, fuzz, and a talk box, to be precise. How would these work on the Deville, and anything I should watch out for/consider?

Thanks a LOT!
Is this a blues or a hot rod deville? The latter will higher gain better, but IMO the blues deluxe sounds better overall.
Quote by mr_hankey
Is this a blues or a hot rod deville? The latter will higher gain better, but IMO the blues deluxe sounds better overall.

I agree, but if you're getting a deal, either one is a quality classic rock amp. And these guys are big, too. I have a 60W 1x12 from Fender, more volume than I need. That 4x10 is really gonna crank!

For an amp that's just a year old, it should be in nearly mint shape. Do the obvious, check out it's cosmetics. Turn it on, ask to crank it up, play with every knob to see if there's any static in any of them. Take $10 off with every "pop." If your friend is good, he'll be looking at the tubes, making sure everything is in decent shape. If the thing's been gigged, you may need a new set of tubes soon.

All the pedals you're looking at will be great with it. Try to stay away from the digital stuff (IMHO), especially multi-effects, but you seem to be on track with that. It'll never be a great metal amp, but with the right pedals, you'll be able to coax a lot of the sounds you want from it.

Enjoy!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I´m thinkin about getting that amp too a bit to expensive for me but It might work out....
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
^ I doubt you need more than the 40W Deluxe size, and I see them used locally all the time for @ $400.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
You're not gettin' metalcore out of that.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Thanks! Its the Hot Rod.. More gain, but I am going for a clean tone, which I will add on to with pedals. I can't be too picky though, since it's quite cheap.
I heard it work well with a DigiTech Death Metal, someone from another message board told me that, and he's a sound genius, and a brutal-death-metal player, if it was good for this tone purist - i think it will be good for you.
strat player forever.
I am considering a EHX Metal Muff or something, I really like the squealing harmonics and such metal distortion makes.. Not enough to give up a classic sounding amp, though..
yeah, if you're gonna get a metal pedal, go with the metal muff.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!