What colleges have good music courses? I'd like to major in music at a college but I want to make sure it has a good music program. I was thinking Write State University, but I'm not sure. can anyone help?
^ if you want to get accepted there, spell it "Wright State University".
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Prolly wanna check out OSU (Ohio State University) they probably have almost anything you can think of, or look for a fine arts school.
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Baldwin-Wallace is probably the best for music.

OSU has a little of everything, but that doesn't mean they're particularly good at them, though.

Capital University in Columbus has a recording tehcnology major, if you want to go into production at all.

Bowling Green has an excellent music education program, as well as good theater stuff.

Ohio University has some pretty music performance programs, but I only know of one guy that is there for tuba/euphonium and another there for trumpet.
AT PURDUE!!! ( I think i'm the only one at Purdue that is on the forums....)

Awesome bands YOU! need to check out: Pain of Salvation, Vision Divine, Angra, Ayreon
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
^ if you want to get accepted there, spell it "Wright State University".

Wow, I can't believe i did that.

Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming!

PS Where is Bowling Green?
Bowling Green is between Findlay and Toledo. close to I-75
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
So I was looking at the blowing green website (I'll check out the other one later), and it listed their music classes,

"Undergraduate majors are available in music education, music performance, music composition, jazz studies, world music and music history. Minors are available in jazz studies and recording technology; special curricular options include church music. "

So I'd like to get a job working as a studio guitarist, do you think (if you would know) that these classes would be enough?
I hear the UNC (University of North Carolina) system has a good music program. But, personally the only thing I think having a degree in music does is qualify you to teach or some thing you put on your resume. I would say take a minor in music and major in something pratical just in case being a guitarist dosen't work out. People are going to pick you because your talented not because you have a degree (although its probably an advantage). An excellent guitarist will get a job over a mediocre guitarist with a degree any day. But hey, what do I know?
Sig What?
Haha, you guys are silly...

Best music school in Ohio = The Oberlin University.

Oberlin is a dual-college, consisting of a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and a Conservatory. It is my main choice as far as universities are concerned, but both of its schools are very competitive and hard to get into.

Unless you're wayyy into classical or jazz, you have no chance of getting accepted to the conservatory for guitar.
My God, it's full of stars!
Oberlin was crazy when I went there, so many talented musicians. It definitely wasn't for me though, so I decided to come to OSU. I wasn't ready to commit my life to becoming a singer. So yeah, Oberlin's probably the best music school, but it might not be the right choice for you. Seriously, think about a backup plan.

OSU is a good bet if you're not totally sure about what you want to do. Yes, you want to be a studio guitarist but that's more about getting your foot in the right door and having the proper amount of instrumental skill. I am in my second year here at OSU and I love it so far. I'm minoring in music and majoring in finance, I'm in a band, you know, I want to try to make it but if I don't I have plenty to fall back on. I'm in a choir with Dr. Bob Ward, who is one of the most talented men's choral directors in any public school. It's not a conservatory but we do have a good school of music, and everyone's going to recognize a degree from OSU because it's the biggest school in the country.

Capital has probably the best public music school. I really don't know much about it though.

Hey, you go to Centerville! Did you ever meet AJ Hawk? A kid on my floor last year went to Centerville and he wouldn't shut up about Hawk all year. [edit: oh, nvm, you're not even a senior yet, are you?]
Last edited by pratt121 at Mar 21, 2007,
I've heard Xavier has a pretty good music program. I'd scond BGSU, too; they're pretty well-known for their fine arts stuff.

But easily the best music school in Ohio, if you can manage to get in, is CCM (the College Conservatory of Music) at the University of Cincinnati. They're very picky, though. You'd need good grades and a seriously good audition to even have a chance.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan
But easily the best music school in Ohio, if you can manage to get in, is CCM (the College Conservatory of Music) at the University of Cincinnati. They're very picky, though. You'd need good grades and a seriously good audition to even have a chance.
Ew, dude, you don't want to go to UC. Unless you like a campus made out of concrete. I had two friends from my high school go there and they both got mugged in their first year.
Quote by pratt121
Ew, dude, you don't want to go to UC. Unless you like a campus made out of concrete. I had two friends from my high school go there and they both got mugged in their first year.

I didn't say it was pretty or in a good part of town. But CCM is one of the best music schools in the country.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by pratt121
Oberlin was crazy when I went there, so many talented musicians. It definitely wasn't for me though, so I decided to come to OSU. I wasn't ready to commit my life to becoming a singer. So yeah, Oberlin's probably the best music school, but it might not be the right choice for you. Seriously, think about a backup plan.

OSU is a good bet if you're not totally sure about what you want to do. Yes, you want to be a studio guitarist but that's more about getting your foot in the right door and having the proper amount of instrumental skill. I am in my second year here at OSU and I love it so far. I'm minoring in music and majoring in finance, I'm in a band, you know, I want to try to make it but if I don't I have plenty to fall back on. I'm in a choir with Dr. Bob Ward, who is one of the most talented men's choral directors in any public school. It's not a conservatory but we do have a good school of music, and everyone's going to recognize a degree from OSU because it's the biggest school in the country.

Capital has probably the best public music school. I really don't know much about it though.

Hey, you go to Centerville! Did you ever meet AJ Hawk? A kid on my floor last year went to Centerville and he wouldn't shut up about Hawk all year. [edit: oh, nvm, you're not even a senior yet, are you?]

yeah I know i should have a back up plan, the hard thing is I don't know what else I'd do. I'm only a sophomore in highschool so it's not like I have to know right away, i would just like to have some ideas. it feels like I was put here to play music. Of course, all the feelings in the world won't get me a job if people won't hire me.

What is Capital? Capital University?

and unfortunately, I'm homeschooled so I don't know the guy. I have a lot of friends that go there though.

Dude, I heard all you need to get into Cincinnati University was like a 3.0 GPA..i could be wrong though. I'd rather not live in Cincinnati if I had the choice, but if it helps me I guess I would.

Unless you're wayyy into classical or jazz, you have no chance of getting accepted to the conservatory for guitar.

Are you talking from expierience or just opinion?

thanks again for your help
Quote by Spamwise
What is Capital? Capital University?

It's just another small college/university. I looked into there for recording, thinking I might go into production, but then my parents said no because the average salary is only 26,000 a year.

And Bowling Green is in *surprise* Bowling Green, Ohio, about 20 minutes south of Toledo. Just down 1-75 like one of the other guys said a couple posts up.

I know a bunch of people that go there from my high school. I ended up going to po-dunk Indiana, though.
AT PURDUE!!! ( I think i'm the only one at Purdue that is on the forums....)

Awesome bands YOU! need to check out: Pain of Salvation, Vision Divine, Angra, Ayreon
Cleveland Conservatory, theres another in Cinci. OSU, and Youngstown State. yeah i grew up in ohio. Muskingum has been improving lately in the last few years, it kind of depends on what you want to study though.
Quote by Spamwise
What colleges have good music courses? I'd like to major in music at a college but I want to make sure it has a good music program. I was thinking Write State University, but I'm not sure. can anyone help?

Wright State's is very good. I know several people in it. The guitar courses are especially productive and effective.

Where in Ohio do you live? I live in Dayton, therefore, I know everything
Poor advice.
Oberlin, but its hard as hell to get in there, its like a notch below ivy league.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by stellar_legs
Wright State's is very good. I know several people in it. The guitar courses are especially productive and effective.

Where in Ohio do you live? I live in Dayton, therefore, I know everything

centerville, about 30 minutes from the downtown dayton area.

Alright, thanks so much for all your help. I'll check out the website for these places, though I doubt "Oberlin" is for me, as by the time I will have graduated I will have been only playing for 5 or so years which isn't probably enough time to get good enough. You never know though, I guess.