this is a thread to help people get a band together from scratch so if you have any ideas how to please post them here (im already in 1(no singer yet) but it semeed like a way to help people with this question) thanks for all awnsers
Last edited by Mr.Cuddles at Mar 22, 2007,
ads in your local music shop or school/college notice board.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
try to get in a band with friends. synyster gates was asked how he joined A7X and he said how he was "friends with them all since we were kids" and "writing songs with my friends" is the way to go.
if you're already good friends, chances are, you'll have a similar music taste. this makes thing a lot easier when talking about covers and stuff.

main thing though: get someone with an awesome voice. if you can, get someone who just sticks to vocals, because if they put on a great show, people will talk about your band.

most of all though, keep it fun. if band practices feel more like a chore, then you really won't enjoy it.
“This was a manuscript of the night we couldn’t read.”
our band practices were like stupid before, no one would do antything, it was bogus
SUCK IT

__
|_|
/|\
\|/
/ \
/ _ \
get someone who'll organise it all man. i got my brother on drums in my band, so i know if i arse about, i'm gunna get a kick in.
“This was a manuscript of the night we couldn’t read.”
Find people with similar musical taste.

Find people who have roughly the same experience as you do with music. It's no fun if you're not that great of a guitarist, and the other guitarist shreds massive circles around you. Make you feel like crap.

Being at least somewhat good friends is good. Strangers, not so good in my opinion.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Quote by greendayguitar

Being at least somewhat good friends is good. Strangers, not so good in my opinion.

What if all of your good friends either don't like the same kind of music as you, OR if they do, they don't play any instruments? And if everyone you DO know that plays and likes the same kind of music either is already in several bands, OR is a total ass?

I've sort of forgotten how to make new friends.. and at this age, It seems like alot of people aren't too keen on making new friends, they're too focused on their current friends, they never want to hang out with anyone new. (18 years)

Maybe its just my area.

But yeah, back to my question.
~~You are nothing. I am a God among men, creating the Universe before leaving you blinded and wandering.~~
Letters to Zaya
A little piece of advice that you may or may not agree with...

Try not to make the 'first order of bussiness' in the band doing a cover song. It could lead to a band having a weak foundation.
Четвертый член в "Русскoй группe." PM Vindication to join.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG470

Peavey Bandit 112

Shooting for a PODxt

Forevermore

Kingston In Ruins
don't wanna sound like an ass or anything but its pretty easy to get a band started. Maybe not a good one but all you really have to do is ask people if they wanna join your band... Duh
^Trust me. That doesn't work. If it did I'd have a band now. More often they say yes and never follow through. Or you argue about things like who else you'll allow to join and stuff like that.

I would say get to know the people well who are going to join your band. Know what they'll do in a given situation so you'll be prepared for it. And make sure they're dedicated to music and love music.
I think it depends on what kind of band you want to form. If you want to form a punk, metal, alternative or some type of rock band then go to shows and talk to people. It's much easier to make friends first and then form a band. There are also 'local' scene messageboards. You could also perform at an open mics and let people there know you're looking. Post ads at music schools.

I'd say the biggest challenge, for me anyway, is finding great drummers and vocalists.
well i have a problem because im better than the other guitarist in my band but we dont have a bass so i play piano for most songs. im looking for a bassist but most of them are in bands or arent good.
My Music
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
For a second I thought the title said "I swallowed my dick".

my gear:
fender stratocaster american deluxe SSS(s1)
G-DEC 30W amp
custom carrying case
jasmine by takamine acoustic
silvertone acoustic

AMAZING GUITAR SOLO!!!
As I am currently putting togeter a band now. I would have to say... go with your friends and also people who live somewhat close to you (atleast in the same town.)

One thing, someone said its bad to start a band with a cover song, I disagree it boost everyones confidence and lets everyone know how to get it together,[no homo] with each other.
Quote by ihaterap101
well i have a problem because im better than the other guitarist in my band but we dont have a bass so i play piano for most songs. im looking for a bassist but most of them are in bands or arent good.

stop it.
the last 3 threads i've gone to you've posted something saying "well, im better than the other guitarist" SHUT UP. Nobody cares, so stop trying to hijack threads and stop bragging about how amazing you are.

And to rhaz, yeah i agree cover songs definitely help a band "get it together" i don't know what the other guy was talking about..
Quote by tagyoureit

I'd say the biggest challenge, for me anyway, is finding great drummers and vocalists.

Me too... Me and my bassist friend are having trouble finding drummers and singers that don't sound like crap.
Quote by Ryioku
1.What if all of your good friends either don't like the same kind of music as you, OR 2.if they do, they don't play any instruments? 3.And if everyone you DO know that plays and likes the same kind of music either is already in several bands,4. OR is a total ass?

5.I've sort of forgotten how to make new friends.. and at this age, It seems like alot of people aren't too keen on making new friends, they're too focused on their current friends, they never want to hang out with anyone new. (18 years)

Maybe its just my area.

1. Experiment. Mix more tha one genre together. It's worth a shot, isn't it?

2. They can easily learn, or hell, they could be a lead singer.

3. Well, if they're already in several bands, one more couldn't hurt. Or if they feel they need more than one band, the others obviously aren't fulfilling the persons needs. Give them what the want in a band.

4. If they're a total ass, are they really your friend?

5. Making friends isn't rocket science

And who says you can't become friends with a person before you let them in your band?

Quote by RadioHead22
Just the problem is everyone around here I've played with completely ignores everything I play because it isn't their style. I listen to what they play, it's just if i give my own input due to my own inspiration, they don't like it. Example, this one guitarist I play with say's everything I play is too "evil" and refuses to play anything that he didn't personally make.

Me sing, me sing good...

3. Well, if they're already in several bands, one more couldn't hurt. Or if they feel they need more than one band, the others obviously aren't fulfilling the persons needs. Give them what the want in a band.
Eh, that's true. I'll give it a shot.

I didn't say they were my friends, I said they were people I know

Omg it SO is!!!

And who says you can't become friends with a person before you let them in your band?
I don't have a problem with being their friends pre-band, it's making a friend who will actually hang out with me is the problem.
~~You are nothing. I am a God among men, creating the Universe before leaving you blinded and wandering.~~
Letters to Zaya
Quote by Ryioku
Just the problem is everyone around here I've played with completely ignores everything I play because it isn't their style. I listen to what they play, it's just if i give my own input due to my own inspiration, they don't like it. Example, this one guitarist I play with say's everything I play is too "evil" and refuses to play anything that he didn't personally make.

Me sing, me sing good...

Eh, that's true. I'll give it a shot.

I didn't say they were my friends, I said they were people I know

Omg it SO is!!!

I don't have a problem with being their friends pre-band, it's making a friend who will actually hang out with me is the problem.

1. Fair enough.

2. Fair enough.

3. Doesn't hurt to try.

4. My mistake. I apologize.

5. Fair enough.

Well, I presume if you guys formed a band, they would hangout with you. I personally don't have friends to hang out with. I'd hang out with my band mates, but I find them to become annoying after a while. And other than my girlfriend, I don't really have anybody close to me, or a best friend. But I see where you're coming from.

None of what I said was meant to be asshole-ish, and sorry if it came off that way. Just throwing out my opinion.

Quote by RadioHead22
In my area certainly the biggest challenge is finding a half decent singer, my guitarist and best friend sings and plays but it takes the focus from his playing and he can't project well.
Quote by Ryioku
What if all of your good friends either don't like the same kind of music as you, OR if they do, they don't play any instruments? And if everyone you DO know that plays and likes the same kind of music either is already in several bands, OR is a total ass?

I've sort of forgotten how to make new friends.. and at this age, It seems like alot of people aren't too keen on making new friends, they're too focused on their current friends, they never want to hang out with anyone new. (18 years)

Maybe its just my area.

that shit all happens to me, and its hard to make new friends, thats why I like meeting people out of town and stuff. I'm 16 by the way.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310