Page 1 of 2
Am i the only one who thinks alexisonfire is slowly starting to suck, i mean they're first album was amazing, they're second album was like the first but more polished, but this new one is a huge dissapointment, its so damn plain.

Discuss
and for the record i love alexisonfire, perhaps my favorite band.
But Dad, Nick Cannon is hilarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrious
Their self-titled is amazing.
I didn't really like Watch Out! much.
And I like some of the songs on Crisis but it's not near as good as their self-titled.

It's safe to say I've pretty much given up on them making anymore good music...
-Zach
they used to be really hardcore, and into the whole punk thing. crisis is almost like a rock album and not so much screamo/hardcore...i agree with threadstarter
You're not the only who thinks that. They've really declined but that's fine because I prefer my Dallas Green intake through the City and Colour rather than Alexis anyway...
Yeah they're starting to sound almost like mainstream rock.

Im just praying As Cities Burn doesnt head down the same path.
Quote by werty22
They're not talking about hardcore punk, they're talking about "hardcore." It has little in common with its roots in the '80s.

Quote by recklessnick
when i ask questions. people reply with a stupid green smiley face sign

Heres lookin to you
yeah they are transitioning from the harder past they had and are utilizing dallas more, im seeing them on friday the 23rd. But the new cd is good, its got some catchy hooks and tight riffs, but yeah i think their ST was "amazing".

Btw As cities burn is dead, man, kinda old news.
Quote by IbanezSA160
I farted in class once, but that's about as close i've got to a sexual experience in school.

Quote by duncanxdonuts
B2daR2daA2daD you win at life

DEAR GAWD!!!
Quote by B2daR2daA2daD

Btw As cities burn is dead, man, kinda old news.

*puts fingers in ears*
lalallalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala

Not yet.
Quote by werty22
They're not talking about hardcore punk, they're talking about "hardcore." It has little in common with its roots in the '80s.

Quote by recklessnick

Heres lookin to you
no seriously they broke up a long time ago.... like in early 2006

im as depressed as you are
Quote by IbanezSA160
I farted in class once, but that's about as close i've got to a sexual experience in school.

Quote by duncanxdonuts
B2daR2daA2daD you win at life

DEAR GAWD!!!
Quote by B2daR2daA2daD

no their singer quit and now the guitarist or something is singing

my first listen to Alexisonfire was Watch Out! and for some reason I didn't like it, but looking back from Crisis to Watch Out! there really is a big difference, I haven't given the ST a good listen to yet, but I will be seeing them this saturday
Seeing them live emphasises it more. I saw them not too long ago, but it was a Watch Out! tour, then again at Taste of Chaos last year in Cardiff, and then finally like a month ago. It's not that they've worsened as musicians or the live sets aren't as energetic or anything like that, but what is particularly annoying is that songs from s/t and WO are basically now filling up the gaps in between Crisis songs. Which are a bit hit and miss. I'm not sure I'd see them live again for a while now.

I like Dallas' voice, so I don't think that they're using too much of him or anything, but the songs themselves can be really boring and that's what makes for a pretty average show. As much as I like them for the past material and still continue to listen to them a lot, I do agree the newer album isn't quite as good.
Quote by B2daR2daA2daD

nahh man haha. check their myspace. They were gonna break up, then they decided against it. But they lost their vocalist (screamer) and they got a new guitarist.

EDIT: They're actually working on a new album right now. Sorry to get off topic, I just wanted to clear that up.
-Zach
It's nothing new for a band to "get worse" as their career moves on.

You could say it's just the fans putting the early stuff on too high a pedestal or that the band is actually getting more boring/running out of ideas.
Crisis sounds so domesticated. I don't have interest in giving the album any more chances.
Quote by before
nahh man haha. check their myspace. They were gonna break up, then they decided against it. But they lost their vocalist (screamer) and they got a new guitarist.

EDIT: They're actually working on a new album right now. Sorry to get off topic, I just wanted to clear that up.

thats what i remembered. *breaths sigh of relief*
Quote by werty22

Quote by recklessnick

Heres lookin to you
Quote by STABxYOU
Funny, I noticed this when Watch Out came out.

Yeah. The self-titled has got a..."fresh" feeling to it. Then when the other stuff came out it was like they were just running out of ideas.
-Zach
another thing is that i loved Dallas's voise in self titled, but i noticed that in watch-out it started to become more girly and less strong
I actually like Watch Out! Not to say Self-titled isnt amazing, but it sounds a little amateurish, mainly because of the recording (or lack of) quality.
Quote by werty22

Quote by recklessnick

Heres lookin to you
I love them but alot of their stuff is starting to sound kindof the same they dont really "stray from the mold" of their older stuff
Quote by guitarwannabe16
I actually like Watch Out! Not to say Self-titled isnt amazing, but it sounds a little amateurish, mainly because of the recording (or lack of) quality.

The self-titled is recorded fine, after the self-titled they've sounded over produced, too slick and made for radio. They might as well be Killswitch Engage.
^ ouch, now be resonable here.

Its always possible they will have a regression, and reinvent themselves, it wont neccessarily be in the same vein as S/T but will have the same edge and feel to it. I think the band is too talented to just succumb to mainstream ideals.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
Crisis was a change in the wrong direction for them IMO. Too much Dallas with his falsetto singing, not enough Gorge, they lost most of the creativity they had instrumentally, i guess you can say its just "boring" compared to their older albums. Very child/parent friendly now, I suppose they wanted to make a push to get better known to a wider age group, and thats what they accomplished.
dont Listen to my friends band at: -www.sweetnightmare.com
-www.myspace.com/sweetnightmare1
-www.purevolume.com/sweetnightmare
Don't hurt me, but I actually am not that into their self-titled. It's decent, but I actually prefer "Watch Out!" Crisis for me is a slick and polished album.. maybe too much, but that's what it is. It's not as unique as their older stuff, but more consistent. I think Watch Out! is their best album though - cuz it's consistent, but just raw enough.

And man, they're no where near child-friendly... as long as you have some shirtless man screaming, it's not gonna be liked by parents. Haha...
we know a place no spaceships go
Quote by Kimby
Don't hurt me, but I actually am not that into their self-titled. It's decent, but I actually prefer "Watch Out!" Crisis for me is a slick and polished album.. maybe too much, but that's what it is. It's not as unique as their older stuff, but more consistent. I think Watch Out! is their best album though - cuz it's consistent, but just raw enough.

And man, they're no where near child-friendly... as long as you have some shirtless man screaming, it's not gonna be liked by parents. Haha...

I agree that Watch out would have to be they're best album, its takes the originality of self titled but polishs it a bit.
Quote by The Hurt Within
^ ouch, now be resonable here.

Its always possible they will have a regression, and reinvent themselves, it wont neccessarily be in the same vein as S/T but will have the same edge and feel to it. I think the band is too talented to just succumb to mainstream ideals.

I'm not insulting the new material, just the way it's been recorded, wayyyy too slick. I know they're talented, they just need to get back into the mindset that produces greatness instead of mediocrity.
How do veterans on this forum deal with people making the same threads ever couple months or so?
Listen to my music here
Quote by martyr
How do veterans on this forum deal with people making the same threads ever couple months or so?

Badly.
^_^
I stoped listening to bands and expecting them to be as great as they were in earlier CD's a while back. Auctually happened back when 'From Autumn to Ashes' released 'The Fiction we Live.' I was so dissapointed only because I had the original expectation of the frist album. Since its been a few years TFWL has grown on me a bit but its taken some time.

I didnt let my self fall into this same trap with Alexisonfire. I tried to listen for a more mature sound rather than the same material over and over again. That is what i feel Alexisonfire is doing. They might have lost that 'Expermental' edge that they use to have, but they havent stopped putting out good music that strays from the norm. How many bands do you know that have 3 singers that are well balanced? It seems to me that they are just playing what they want to.

I had a chance to see them live at Warped Tour 2006. I was impressed by their performance. They were very crowd interactive and didnt let a rainy day spoil it for everyone. They really put it out there to get everyone moving around and having fun. They might not have the energy of The Dillinger Escape Plan but then again... who does?

For what they are and what they have become I think that the band as a whole is moving in the right deriction rather than reproducing the same material over and over again.

My 10 cents...
"Have a emo new year, here's a new tissue"- Def
Quote by StuartR
running out of ideas.

id pretty much go along with that to some extent. i think theyve got a lot in them to give but theyre not harnessing it in the best way right now.
Quote by nephi
too "recorded".. oh yeah.. too clean..

Not too "recorded". Too slick. Personally, I prefer my punk to not sound like it was produced by Mutt Lange and recorded down the hall from Justin Timberlake.
QFT. Punk should sound raw but I never saw Alexisonfire as a punk band.
Quote by werty22

Quote by recklessnick

Heres lookin to you
I think that they have matured well, although I didn't enjoy Crisis as much as I did the S/T or Watch Out! Mostly just because they've, for the most part, lessened the focus on cool riffs and dual guitar interplay, and instead have gone for more mainstream oriented vocal melodies. Not that there's anything really wrong with that; I just wish we could have another "Dagger Through the Heart of St. Angeles" or my personal favorite "Hey, It's Your Funeral Mama."
Tiger style.
Last edited by kevinm4435 at Mar 28, 2007,
Quote by guitarwannabe16
QFT. Punk should sound raw but I never saw Alexisonfire as a punk band.

man.. I love your sig..
^_^
Quote by werty22

Quote by recklessnick

Heres lookin to you
Its funny but when you think about it might be true. At that point it becomes frightening.
Quote by werty22

Quote by recklessnick

Heres lookin to you
I love Crisis
The debut - Great
Watch Out! - pretty good
I love Dallas' voice and I love George's screams
They've never dissapointed me.
Last edited by kidskidskids at Mar 30, 2007,
Page 1 of 2