yeah....my tone really isnt too great...looking for some suggestions on how to get a good metal-ish sound...i have a EH metal muff pedal for distortion and my amp is a fender hotrod deluxe...im looking for somthing like zacky vengence of A7X for rhythem and luke hoskin of Protest the Hero for leads...any help is welcome..thanks
It would help to know what guitar you own.
Brokeback Lego - Animation Movie I Made

Quote by \GuitarHero/
Our band mascot is a Muffin.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
I am buying a Fender Hot Rod Deville, and I heard that i should be able to get a good metal sound with the pedal you are using. What's lacking in your sound?
it doesnt sound full..its really thin...i play on 12s so i know its not the strings
Well if it sounds thin, maybe turn up the bass, lower the mids a little, and ease off the treble and gain. Also, maybe try using the neck pickup if you need a beefier tone.
Good luck getting that kind of tone of a Fender amp. You might get something passable, but good? Nah. They're just not meant to handle that style of distortion without getting all loose and muddy on you.
i'll try all this stuff..im considering upgrading to a randall or peavy....which IYO is better...radall V2 or Peavy Valveking
My Hot Rod Deluxe can get a good classic rock and blues sound, but metal? I've never heard of such a thing. It can do Ozzy pretty good, but I wouldn't use it for Avenged Sevenfold or anything. Not that it wouldn't be passable, but there is are definitely better metal amps.

However, as suggested, turn down your highs, bump up your lows, use the neck pickup, etc, etc. I've heard good things about the Randall V2, but I don't know much about amps intended for metal.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by MuffinMan
My Hot Rod Deluxe can get a good classic rock and blues sound, but metal? I've never heard of such a thing. It can do Ozzy pretty good, but I wouldn't use it for Avenged Sevenfold or anything. Not that it wouldn't be passable, but there is are definitely better metal amps.

However, as suggested, turn down your highs, bump up your lows, use the neck pickup, etc, etc. I've heard good things about the Randall V2, but I don't know much about amps intended for metal.

i got this amp a few years ago before i started playing really seriously and playing anything other then led zeppelin and nirvana..now im into more technical stuff like PTH, The Human Abstract and The Fall Of Troy so yeah
i dun get how he cant get it with metal muff.. scoop out the mids as everyone said (on the metal muff as well).. should be hell beefy
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild
It's the fender amp man. Fender's aren't really ment for those levels of overdrive/distortion. Fender's are ment more for the type of sound you get in lighter blues, and most jazz stuff. Think Eric Johnson's tone , as he used fender amps and fender guitars . Even while nice and distorted, his tone is nice and sparkily!

What you want is a Peavey, Mesa/Boogie, or some other High-Gain amp. Generally you are gonna want to look at high-gain amp models made in the USA... but a few UK amps can get the "metal" tone you are looking for. (If I'm guessing right, ur looking for metal tones ranging from Thrash Metal to Pop-Metal type sounds?)
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Honestly, who names themselves "zacky vengence" and "Synyster Gates"...Honestly....

Anyway, I suggest you get yourself a new amp.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by thetoastinator
Well if it sounds thin, maybe turn up the bass, lower the mids a little, and ease off the treble and gain. Also, maybe try using the neck pickup if you need a beefier tone.

NO. DO NOT lower the mids. Infact, raise the mids. The mids should be way higher than all the other controls (this includes gain).

Also, your tone changes dramatically when put into the mix. What sounds thin and crappy by yourself could sound amazing with a band behind you.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
rofl @ making tone thicker by lowering mids.

And including gain? Dang...

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Am I the only one who thinks maybe, just maybe, this kid sucks at guitar?

What you should really do, is instead of looking to the gear that has been proven to give decent/good results, is to go practice your playing, digging in with your pick, playing in a clear, concise, articulate manner, and maybe getting lessons? Maybe, just maybe, its not your gear, but yourself thats the problem...

Otherwise, check out a nicer amp, as the Fender might be a little weak for your tastes...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
^

Awefully blunt, but funny. I agree, I was complaining about tone too, but then I just realized I had to get better.

Another tip...try play half step down?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
more bass and mids, less treble, the fender should sound pretty fat even with lots of extra distortion.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm

i dun get how he cant get it with metal muff.. scoop out the mids as everyone said (on the metal muff as well).. should be hell beefy

If it sounds thin and you do that it'll sound EVEN THINNER, and also kind of wooly. Honestly, use your brain for like, two seconds, if you cut the dominant frequencies you take away from the sound, it's not even physics, it's common sense.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^^

yeap, I've realized that scooping the mids is going to kill out tone on an amp...
so my minimum mids is around 5 and max is around 7 or 8...

and +1 for the other amp suggestions...
I'd probably look into a Mesa Boogie either Single or Dual is you can go with the price...
but other amps are out there to be tried out!
AX7's tone sucks. They sound thin and the lead guitarist sounds like hes beating on a garbage can with his mids scooped to 0.

And whoever said scoop the mids, don't. Thats just stupid. Scooped mids = terrible tinny sound.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Whatever you do, DO NOT scoop the mids.

If you want a rig that can handle scooped mids, buy a Strat and a more traditional Fender amp. Good luck trying to get a good metal tone with that.
Simply put: Mids=good.

Scooped Mids=bad.

It's very simple

(Mids)^2=(Gain)^2 x (Bass/Treble)

Mids must be Higher than everything, otherwise the equation is untrue and you die.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
Simply put: Mids=good.

Scooped Mids=bad.

It's very simple

(Mids)^2=(Gain)^2 x (Bass/Treble)

Mids must be Higher than everything, otherwise the equation is untrue and you die.

Not always. My rig (Fender into Fender) is notoriously mid-lacking, but it still sounds great. I guess I do prefer the fatter tone I get when I kick in the TS.
Yeah, upgrade the amp. Fenders were never meant to do metal, and the EHX Metal Muff pedal is not bad - it is certainly far from as good as a nice high gain amp. Look into a Peavey 5150, or Dual Recto, or an Engl for high gain beefy tones. Also, playing technique plays a huge part: inarticulate notes ->amp -> garbled mush out.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by Striketalonx
Am I the only one who thinks maybe, just maybe, this kid sucks at guitar?

What you should really do, is instead of looking to the gear that has been proven to give decent/good results, is to go practice your playing, digging in with your pick, playing in a clear, concise, articulate manner, and maybe getting lessons? Maybe, just maybe, its not your gear, but yourself thats the problem...

Otherwise, check out a nicer amp, as the Fender might be a little weak for your tastes...

i dont suck at guitar..ive been playing for about 4 years and have lessons...yeah its hard to prove it over the internet and stuff so i wont argue...anyone can get better but the point of this thread was to get suggestions on how to improve tone...i do play clearly and concisly when i practice for 3 hours a day between school and other commitments that i have.i take pride in playing everything as cleanly as possible. but just like any player i do like to noodle around and write stuff for my band, and i want to sound good. thats what this threads about
Last edited by sg_111222 at Mar 22, 2007,
Quote by bonchie1
AX7's tone sucks. They sound thin and the lead guitarist sounds like hes beating on a garbage can with his mids scooped to 0.

And whoever said scoop the mids, don't. Thats just stupid. Scooped mids = terrible tinny sound.

if youve ever seen them live you notice that the rhythem player's (zacky v) sound is much stronger then the lead players...hence the reason i want a similar sound to his
Quote by sg_111222
if youve ever seen them live you notice that the rhythem player's (zacky v) sound is much stronger then the lead players...hence the reason i want a similar sound to his

Maybe he doesn't scoop the mids.
^^^^ exactly...i just tweaked everything around a bit and it sounds great..i'll definatly be keeping my mids up from now on...thanks for all the help...keep rockin..peace