Hey. I'm going to buy an epi vj and was wondering what would be a good speaker for it. 12" is what im looking for. I am going to build a 2 x 12" open backed cab, and thought about either Vintage 30s or Greenbacks. These are both quite expensive here ( £50, and £47). Any cheaper alternatives that would sound great with a VJ for a British rock tone in an open backed 2 x 12" cab.

ALso, what are the benefits of closed back vs open backed cabs? I am only building an open back one because it seems easier, i.e. i don't have to calculate odd dimensions etc, but what are the actual differences?

any help apprecitated

cheeeers MM
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
hate to do this... BUMP!
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
there really isn't a secret of trick about picking the best speakers. go with the quality trusted brands. buy a couple Celestian vintage 30's. I'm sure those will help you get the best tone out of your VJ, or any amp for that matter. Celestian make other speakers that cater to certain genres more than others, but the Vintage 30's are just a general good, classic rock tone that doesn't dissappoint.
I haven't tried any currently available branded speakers with the VJ, but I don't really like v30's with it, it's mids overload.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?