I was curious, is a ii-IV-I-vi a common progression? I am writing a piece up and not sure if I have heard this progression commonly before. Chords I'm using are:

E5 G6(no3rd) Dmaj9(no5th) B7

Thanks.
no its not, the safest progression you can do (literally) is a VI-II-V-I cadence (at least i think its that), so compared to that its pretty odd. i'd say its something like an imperfect cadence. then again if its just a chord sequence its not anything particularly 'out there'.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
well... that G6 isn't a IV, 6 chords are really inversions of seventh chords (this one would be a Emi7 with the 5th omitted). So, in D major that'd be a ii-I-VI, which I can't say I've seen before.

In E minor that would be a i-VII-V, although the Dmaj9 is non-diatonic (D9 would be diatonic in E minor). I think this progression makes more sense in E minor because it begins on a i chord and ends on a V7, which is VERY common. In D major you're ending your progression on a non-diatonic VI chord, which is kinda strange.

That's probably more than you wanted to know, but I hope it helps.
one way of looking at the theory here is to treat the 1st or last chord as the "I" chord not the 3 chord , which would give you this :

b=flat sign

I5 (power chord ) , bIII6 (no 3rd ) ,bVIImaj9,V7

so here you have a perfect cadence V7- I
the inclusion of chords based on bIII and bVII suggests an overall minor feel as this intervals are in the natural minor scale .
The bVII has the major 7th (C#) the major 6 so as well as arpeggio tones the E dorian modal scale would work well here .
you could use the Eharmonic minor over the V7
This is my point of view , over to you
Last edited by damienguitar at Mar 21, 2007,
Thanks. No such thing as more than I wanted to know, I just like to soak it all up. Diatonic, I am at a loss. I see that all over the place but do not know what it means. Tonic = root, Di = 2??!!??
diatonic = seven tones
dia=7 tonic = tones

any scale with 7 tones is diatonic !
does that clear it up for you ?
basically, diatonic means each note will appear only once.
A non-diatonic chord progression would be, for example
E major to G major.
Why is non-diatonic?
E major is E G# B, and G is G B D.
G and G# conflict and make it non-diatonic. Doesn't necessarily reflect the sound of the progression itself.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
your progressoin isn't common, but not unheard of. because of the way these chords lead into others, your progression could go into an endless loop without any final cadence. The I chord in your progression isn't really being focused on in the progression as the IV doesn't have the tendency tones that the V or viiº do. Although there is nothing wrong with the progression, the listeners won't really have a chord to latch on to as the tonic. By throwing a chord with the leading tone (V or viiº after the IV occasionally, the progression would sound a lot more stable to the listener
hmmmm...