Has anyone had any problems with taking your guitar on an airplane? I am headed to France tomorrow and do not want to leave my guitar home (My acoustic). I am thinking of putting it in it's case and then padlocking the zippers shut with some bubble wrap (peanuts, etc.) inside the bag.
Tune the strings down so they go slack, as i've heard that the pressure can make them snap and/or pull strongly on the neck mid-flight. I was told to do this both times i took a guitar to germany with a band.
Search bar.

Please
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
i personally wouldnt put it in the hold of the plane if possible bring it with you because the majority of people who work in airports dont care about musical equipment and throw it about
acoustic can work as carry on, well last time i flew there was a guy next to me with a guitar and he let me play smoke on the water i was so happy, but then again i was 8
I've seen some people buy and extra for their cello, guitar, bass. If you can't afford it then usually you can just put it into an empty overhead storage compartment.
Dont lock it tho, they'll break the lock. As well, Take the strings right off, so they arent breaking them looking for drugs stuffed into the body of it. It'd be best if you took it carry on, or bring an electric.
Yea I've wondered the same thing because I'll be visiting my girlfriend this summer and I planned on bringing my guitar and I don't really know what I'll be facing =/
I brought my acoustic on a flight in an SKB hardshell case. I put it through with my luggage on the way down, and put it in the overhead on the way back. Just a warning, airport security must have jimmied open my lock on the case, because it was loose and pretty much broken, but it was understandable and I should have expected it.

I didn't downtune, but I know I should have. You should.
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
Yeah I got those locks that the airport can open without breaking them, Travel Sentry. Hopefully they will actually take the time to realize, if I can't bring it as a carry-on.
Quote by Guitarded01
Dont lock it tho, they'll break the lock. As well, Take the strings right off, so they arent breaking them looking for drugs stuffed into the body of it.

Or they could just put it through an XRAY machine...either way.
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
SDMF#UG003-pantera-nat124
Quote by Negative_Creep7
Yea I've wondered the same thing because I'll be visiting my girlfriend this summer and I planned on bringing my guitar and I don't really know what I'll be facing =/

You have to take a plane to visit your girlfriend?

pfffft... internet hookups ftw?
I locked mine up both times and wrapped gaffa tape around at each end, and neither time was it opened up or damaged, they just put it through the x-ray machine.
You should always put a guitar in a flight case when taking it on a plane. Even if it isn't damaged and banged about on the plane, the people who load the planes will just throw it about with no respect for the beutiful instrument. That's my opinion anyway, they are usally okay in hard cases but sometimes a bad band can break even a hard case so personally I wouldn't take the chance.
Last edited by Tenacious S at Mar 22, 2007,
I've taken my guitar on planes 4 times and each time they let me take it in the plane as a carry-on. Usually one of the flight attendants will store it in a safe place for you.