How would i go about recording tracks for my bass and getting them on the computer? should i get a microphone or is there someway i can plug it in with an adapter and help would be appreciated , also im lookin for the cheapest way cuz im kinda broke
1/4 -> 1/8 adapter and plug into the mic input on your computer
Gear:
Gibson SG Faded Special
American Strat
Fender Bassman 100
Vox Wah
Big Muff Pi
Small Clone
DOD 250 Overdrive
Ernie Ball Volume

Band
That's probably the cheapest way unless you don't already have a mic, in which case use the mic. The adapter should be like $5 at Radio Shack or something.
EYETOY, Audicity AND Abode Audition. if done right you can get professional sounding recordings
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
are you serious? i already have eyetoy, how would i manage working that out and what are audicity and abode audition
yeah don use a mic, quarter inch to eight inch will work but you can also get USB adapters, or by a hella **** awesome sound card thatr comes with a quarter inch plug. as for programs audition will work, i dong like it but it is cheep and it will do the trick!
Stay quiet...
I've had some problems in the past with the bass frequencies being too low to be accurately picked up by a straight plug-in. It mostly occurs when I use drop-tunings or a five string - something about the low B just messes with my sound card. Because of these issues, I've had to switch over to just mic'ing a combo amp.

Actually, I prefer it this way, since I can EQ my sound before recording, and then afterwards, as well. Plus, there's something about actual speaker resonance that just can't be beat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that the problem with going straight line in>Computer has the problem of the signal from the guitar having too high an impedance? So you need a pre-amp of somekind to boost the signal to a useable level. I could be wrong though.

Personally, I go through my G2.1U Zoom Pedal. Works pretty damn good for me!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I just use a webcam and then audacity to get rid of the fuzz .. great for just practice so you can hear yourself play.
I use a Blue Snowball Microphone and audacity with the LAME plug in to convert to MP3s. If I had a better amp, it would sound better, but even so its not bad. The snowball is not cheap (I got mine as a present), but has a variety of settings for different recording situations, which is great when I want tor record both bass and drums.
Quote by monstertaco
yeah don use a mic, quarter inch to eight inch will work but you can also get USB adapters, or by a hella **** awesome sound card thatr comes with a quarter inch plug. as for programs audition will work, i dong like it but it is cheep and it will do the trick!

Yeah i dont know about not using a mic, in my oppinion i get way better quality through a mic than from a cord, and mine is a cheap old condensor from like the late 70's, it works great. programs im sure the one you have is fine, i use fruity loops and audacity.
I used to use audacity before I lost my HDD.
When I did record I went to my effects pedal and then to my computer directly. Same thing with my gutiar. (mostly because the compuer is in the living room and there is ALWAYS someone waching TV)

And it worked for me! With some effects I can clean it up REALLY nice and crisp! And still with all those fequencys!
If you have Garageband it's really cool to do... you can EQ your bass and everything... when my band records we only mic up the drums and use Garageband's amp sounds... works great.
Wait...so if i was to do what the thread starter wants to do...and buy a 1/8 connection (which is same as 3.5 mm right?) When i plug it into the mic ...do i have to press anything while recording? Also what good soundcards offer 1/4 connections. My current graphics card is a GF7300FX for all you techs out there