right now im working 72-84 hours a week to fund an electirc guitar set up. What do you guys think I should look into? Im lookin to spend about 1500 to 2500 for the entire set up(guitar, amp, & fx pedal.) . I was thinking les paul but those are like 2k just for the guitar and I might do that but im not sure.... what do you guys think?
Quote by happytimeharry
You just made my penis retract into my body in fear. Thank you for that unpleasant feeling Stinkles...

Quote by sashki
So the next day when you were a girl again, you'd stick a dead willy dickinson into yourself? Sounds wrong to me.

Lol
72-84 hours? Do you work in a sweat shop? It really depends what kind of sound you are looking for. I would recommend completely different setups if you were a blues or if you were a metal guy. Can you be a bit more specific?
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
at a chemical plant called formosa. Its no glorious work my friend but it pays the bills well. anyays. I play a lot of different styles. I like playing blues, metal, and rock. I mainly play lead not a lot of rythym type of stuff.
Quote by happytimeharry
You just made my penis retract into my body in fear. Thank you for that unpleasant feeling Stinkles...

Quote by sashki
So the next day when you were a girl again, you'd stick a dead willy dickinson into yourself? Sounds wrong to me.

Lol
Go play some shit and get whatever you like best.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Now when people say "Congratulations, I heard you just had a baby" you can say "Thanks! It was delicious."

/#1 reason for having a kid.

PSN: YosemiteSam13
Pick up a good Ibanez RG series guitar - under a grand

Line 6 Spider Amp - 300 to 600 depending on how powerful you want it.

Pod XT live - 400 bucks

total will be in your price range

just my opinion....good luck. Take some time off to enjoy it.
If
I
would
could
you?
yeah im gonna go back to college in like september so thats when ill be able to enjoy it :P thanks aic_rooster ill look into those.
Quote by happytimeharry

Quote by sashki

Lol
I hope you don't die from working in chemical plant too long.

Don't get the Line 6 Spyder amp.

But do get:

Ibanez RG guitar (If you're into metal/rock)
Fender Strat (If you're into blues/classic/rock/punk)
Gibson Les Paul (bit pricey but if you really like the tone)

For the amp, I think you should look into a tube amp (look at stickies for information on tube amps)
But it really depends what kind of sound you want.
If you want a good clean sound for blues and classical rock
Look into Fender and Vox.
If you want a good overdrive/metal/distortion sound look into Peavey/Orange (Rocker 30 Combo, if you are willing to spend full 2.5k)/Marshall/Laney/ the list goes on.

If you want to get Solid State, Roland or Vox is probably the best.

I hope this helped.

EDIT: Also, make sure you buy an amp that is more expensive than your guitar. do a 60/40 split or even 70/30.
Last edited by ovvyiljs at Mar 21, 2007,
Yeah,Spider actually blows! (BIG TIME). So, if I would have 2 grand I would spend it on a Gibson Les Paul Studio, (1,100) and a Mesa F-50! (800 on eBay.) But, that is just my opinion.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Les Pauls are really not worth the money. Nor are most Gibson guitars. You can get a guitar that sounds just as good if not better for $500-1000.

It's really hard to suggest anything when you don't tell us what kind of music you're playing. But I'd take a good long look at Ibanez guitars, most of the mid/highrange guitars of theirs seem to be aimed at metal/hard rock, but really they seem to work really well for anything.

Pedals you really don't need a lot. A good overdrive pedal is always helpful I'd say a Maxon OD9 or OD808, or for something a little higher end an Xotic BB Preamp. Aside from that, depends on what you want to do. A good wah pedal never hurts, most people will suggest the Vox wah. Delay is always nice, but not really needed, as with chorus. Just stay away from boss if possible.

For amps, well who knows. I've played so many amps in the last few months, and just about all of them suck. If you play blues, go Fender, if you play anything else, stay far far away. Mesa Mark IV is a popular choice, but rather expensive. Peavey JSX are quite good too, I'm actually considering picking one up, but they too are fairly expensive. Kustom amps may be worth looking into, as well as Traynor and Vox. Try em, see what you like.

As far as my opinion goes, I'd say an amp is of equal if not more importance than guitar. You could have the best guitar in the world, but a shit amp certainly won't reflect that. However a great amp can make almost any guitar, no matter how poor, sound at least decent if not good.

edit: Spider amps blow. Pod XT live blow. Mutli-fx in general blow, but if you absolutely have to have one a boss GT6 or GT8 are the best of the bunch. But honestly if you spend more than $1000 on an amp, you should stay as far from multi-fx as possible as they drain your amps tone.
Last edited by icronic at Mar 21, 2007,
Iabanez (Cheaper Satriani model) Like 600 bucks, right?
Marshall DSL50 Head (You may be able to get it for 1050)
Marshall 1960a cab (650)
OD pedal (about 50)
Noise supressor (about 80)
Cables and accesories (60)

It's like 3 grand, but definintly worth it.
wow thanks a lot for the help guys, I know this is a little late to reply but time aint excactly on my side lol. But yeah Ill definately look into all of those and now I definately know to stay away from spider amps lol. that and I think yall have made me about 95% sure im gonna get an Ibanez. Its what I was wanting to begin with but I really love the way les pauls look and feel so I was really considering that too but I think an Ibanez would probably be the best choice.

What do you guys think of marshall amps?
Quote by happytimeharry

Quote by sashki

Lol
Quote by aic_rooster
Pick up a good Ibanez RG series guitar - under a grand

Line 6 Spider Amp - 300 to 600 depending on how powerful you want it.

Pod XT live - 400 bucks

total will be in your price range

just my opinion....good luck. Take some time off to enjoy it.

NO! DO NOT, by any means, get a line 6 Spider

But yes to the RG, as it's versatile (enough), just save up for good pickups for it.

Try lookin for a tube amp. Maybe a used one would fit you. Maybe a used DSL off of eBay? Then for effects maybe you'd want to buy analog peds one by one. Because multi effects+GOOD amp = baaad tone, my friend. So maybe an Ibanez TS808 or the Maxon OD8 would be good for you. Then you may want to look into equalizer pedals such as the Boss GE-7 for more versatility or as a boost for solos.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
i suggest:
carvin bolt (h/s/s config) for the guitar
ceriatone marshall 18w clone for the head
a 2x12 cab (earcandy, avatar, orange, mesa, and others make nice ones)
tc electronics g-major for effects
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
don't get an MG... marshall's are generally overpriced for what you get.. i love them, they're just really...really...expensive. the DSL 401 would be a good choice i think, but it's about 1,000

i think the best first setup with 2K to spend would be this
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Ibanez (since you said it's what you like) S670 prolly one of their best non prestige models

i think a decent overdrive, delay, and reverb would run you about 400, i'd reccomend an ibanez tubescreamer and a boss DD-6 delay, idk about the reverb though, you could just get an overdrive pedal, because neither deloy nor reverb is a must have for starting out

that should put you right around your price range

also just go to a guitar store, see what kind of guitars you like, you may find you like another brand or type of guitar
Well I plan on going to a guitar center in houston soon but I want to at least have some where to start out and to kinda know what to look for. I was getting really heavy into guitar in High school but I had some shitty ass guitars so it kinda killed it but now im making pretty damn good money before I go back to college so I wanna get a good setup.
Quote by happytimeharry

Quote by sashki

Lol
Marshall DSL401 amp ($1200)
+
Fender Made in America Stratocaster ($1000)

u won't need pedals but u got $300 to work with other pedals/stuff.
sounds great to me and my musical preference. (blues/classic rock)
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^the gc here in houston has the flowing "good gear" in your price range
rg1570
s 470
new dinky's
some fender fat strats
Schecters

amps:
MArshal dsls
Some mesa boogies(which i recommend i f you liek buy online. much cheaper.)
JSX,6505,Valve king, Classic 50, xxx
All the fender blues amps.

go around the store and try out the tubes amps in your price range and use guitars you might by to see how it sounds. And oh the salesmen here trend to be trolls and try to push an mg, spider and crate fxt even if it kills them . just ignore them.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
If you are going to spend $1,000+ on the amp I think you should get Orange Rocker 30 Combo ($1,300)
Quote by Stinkles
right now im working 72-84 hours a week to fund an electirc guitar set up. What do you guys think I should look into? Im lookin to spend about 1500 to 2500 for the entire set up(guitar, amp, & fx pedal.) . I was thinking les paul but those are like 2k just for the guitar and I might do that but im not sure.... what do you guys think?

wtf? 72-84 hours a week?

dude..

i have nothing to say.
^_^
Guitar- Shecter C-1 Classic. One of the most versatile and high quality guitars on the market today. It's also drop dead gorgeous, just like the price. $700

Amp- Orange Rocker 30 Combo. Again, very versatile, and it sounds absolutely amazing. $1300

You could do pretty much anything with those.
I'm a person.
just wondering.....if this is going to be your first decent setup would you really want to spend $3000 for everything? How about if you change your mind in the future about your sound, or something else to the point that you just need another kinda amp? This would be a waste no?

I'm only saying this because i'm in the same boat as you! I'm also thinking of getting a good amp (the guitar will be later...I'm fine with my ESP right now). Or do you want to be able spend like $2000.00 so that even if you change styles in the future, your amp would still be able to change with you?

OR...are you just working too damn much that you need to get rid of your money into something you love??? (huh??)
you don't have enough time to buy anything

get back to work!

but to stay on topic, id get a fender drewl....
Ibanez JTK1 in Butterscotch
Ibanez SAS36FM
Roland Cube40 Chorus
Well Ive actually been playing for like 3 years now so I know what I like to play and how I play its just Ive always been dirt poor so Ive never been able to buy anything worth a shit and I dont actually know equipment too well. but now im makin 1000+ a week so Im buying a bunch of things Ive always wanted and a guitar is one of the first on my list.
Quote by happytimeharry

Quote by sashki

Lol
orange rocker 30-1300$ all the volume you need, professional quality, and great for the styles you play...

marshall dsl 401- 1200$ also very nice ... but it does get really heated so be careful

which leaves roughly 700 for guitar and effects...
i would look into schecter they have a few really nice guitars for a bout 500$ i would i think the c-1 artist series would be great for you...

and for effects... a big muff can drive the amp into metal categories... thats about 80$
and maybe a nice chorus pedal...(small clone is good; also about 80$)

edit: pinkcoolguyetc... great minds think alike huh
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by Stinkles
Well Ive actually been playing for like 3 years now so I know what I like to play and how I play its just Ive always been dirt poor so Ive never been able to buy anything worth a shit and I dont actually know equipment too well. but now im makin 1000+ a week so Im buying a bunch of things Ive always wanted and a guitar is one of the first on my list.

1000 a week? good for you..
^_^
daaaaaaaaang 1000 a week
i only got like $250 a week when i worked this summer...
but like i suggested earlier
i still say a Fender American Stratocaster
and a Marshall DSL401
seriously. u can do metal, u can do blues.
what else do u need to play??????
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yeah, you can't go wrong with the strat either. A good set up for you would prob be a Fat Strat,(for that undeniable versitility, YA KNOW!) But, I wouldn't get a Marshall. Traynor literally does everything Marshall does with a better clean and higher gain. A Traynor YCV80 2X12 is less than $900 bucks and so that saves you a bit on your guitar. Also, you could be the 2nd member of my sig club!
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
the gut that said gibsons are not that good is SH*T, damn man, they are expensive, but they are the best guitars around! Ibanez are not that good, they feel too technical , only good for speed!! i play a gibson , and i can't be more happy with it, although i run it through a shity 25 watt fender amp, my advice is, get the guitars that talks to you, the one that feels right, not the one that has a faster neck!!!