Page 1 of 2
im probably going to sound like a retard, but why do almost all of the ESP guitars have LTD on the headstock?
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
because ltd is like epiphone to gibson. they advertise the ltd line as esp ltd so that they sell more
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
oh okay...so its just a second line. they must reserve the ESP name for thier really really nice guitars cause i'm looking a bunch of expensive as hell guitars but are still labeled LTD
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Yeah. But, LTD is a very good company. And, for the price, LTD is probably the best guitar for the price.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
ltd is esp's budget brand, they make affordable but still guite nice imitations of esp's line.
Quote by CarbonDeath
Yeah. But, LTD is a very good company. And, for the price, LTD is probably the best guitar for the price.

youre joking right? they're nice, but a bit overpriced imo
No way! The LTD M-100 is comparable to a guitar 2 times the price. And the EC series is comparable to Epiphone up to a Gibson.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Quote by CarbonDeath
No way! The LTD M-100 is comparable to a guitar 2 times the price. And the EC series is comparable to Epiphone up to a Gibson.

Umm... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

not at all. The sub 400 ranges use Agathis wood, crappy pickups, and are generally not worth the money at all.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Have you tried the LTD M-100? It is much better than you think. I have tried Fender DLX MIM strats, PRS SE Custom, and even a Gibson Menace. For the price, when I owned the LTD M-100, it was amazing. I had to sell it becasue I was moving, but otherwise, I would have kept it for ever.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
In my opinion, the LTD's are the greatest company (EVER!) to make the best guitars, for the cheapest price. I have an ESP LTD M-50, and it's a very cheap guitar. But I love it to death.
I paid $180 for it (Canadian mind you) but it was the best investment I ever made.

So basically, they make the best beginner guitars, for a very nice price.
Yeah dude, for sure. For anyone who hasn't tried the lower end LTD's, try them. Even if you are a supporter of Fender or Gibson, try it, you won't be dissapointed. My M-100 could play anything from Shadows Fall to Jack Johnson!(Not kidding.) But, most people will find a company they fall in love with, and LTD just seems to be the company I fell in love with.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
LTD makes some pretty nice guitars.

I have an ec-1000, but didn't like the EMG's in em'. Eventually put in some BKP Mules...plays like a dream!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Yeah, when I had my M-100, I had Bare Knuckle Pickups in it, and it rocked. People under estimate the overall quality of guitars under $300. LTD over the last few years has really suprised me.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
LTD's are good but ESP are way better, no doubt about it. and btw only LTD's have LTD on the headstock, ESP have ESP on the headstock
LTD = ESP

BUT
LTD = build in Korea
ESP = build in Japan

I think the LTD serie is only worth it's money after the xx-400 serie
Though my LTD was built in Indonesia.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
Quote by Mr_Dark
LTD = ESP

BUT
LTD = build in Korea
ESP = build in Japan

Nailed it! A lot of people fail to see this!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Um, from what I've seen the 50, 100, and 200 models are always built in Indonesia while the 400 and 1000 Deluxes are built in Korea. And obviously the ESP ones are built in Japan.

I think that ESP and LTD are more more closely knit than say Fender and Squire. If you look at ESP's website, LTD and ESP are intertwined basically - only 5% of it's product line are full fledged ESP, but I personally don't think there's a world of difference between an LTD 400 model and a ESP - at least construction wise. Maybe just build quality.

You all know there's no real market for ultra-expensive guitars ($2000-$5000) on a grand scale, what ESP does is simply dumb their models down a bit for the sub-400's and build them somewhere else where they can do so cheaply and sell them at a market friendly price. That's global economics.
How do the deluxe series LTD's compare to a standard ESP? I was looking at possibly buying this

But at £850 I don't know if I'd be better off looking at the proper ESP range if I'm going to spend that kind of money.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
The EC 1000 D has been really popular and very well liked. Some people don't like the EMG's but that's a taste issue. Construction materials are about as good as you can get, the finish of LTD's tends to be immaculate even with the low end, sometimes there are issues with loose bolts but that's about it.

But that is an insane amount of money, that guitar is only $999 Canadian where I live. You may want to try to find this guitar for a better price - EC 400 AT

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC400-Archtop-Electric-Guitar?sku=516661

That sale price makes me hate not being a Yank.
Quote by pub hero
But that is an insane amount of money, that guitar is only $999 Canadian where I live. You may want to try to find this guitar for a better price - EC 400 AT

It may be expensive, but c'est la vie, living in England means that guitar prices are extortionate, as well as amps.

I hate good old blighty.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Most guitars are cheaper in America, especailly with the strength of the British pound. Problem is I don't have a credit card so I can't order off most sites. In any case by the time I paid for shipping it probably would work about the same anyway.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by Cecil Gonzales
Most guitars are cheaper in America, especailly with the strength of the British pound. Problem is I don't have a credit card so I can't order off most sites. In any case by the time I paid for shipping it probably would work about the same anyway.

That and when you import goods you have to pay VAT (17.5%), plus shipping, and this is all assuming that they even ship to the UK, and musiciansfriend.com has a very limited list of things they can ship internationally, ESP/LTD aint on the list.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Before I bought my LDT EC-1000 I tried the ESP version of it, one after the other through the same amp and there was no real difference between them. Same hardware and pickups, but better looking wood grain and overall finish on the ESP, but still, not a big difference! I think LTD's are a very good alernative to ESPs, if you're on a budget!

And btw, there is an ESP logo behind the headstock!
((( KoskineN )))

-ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe VHB
-Fender Telecaster Lite Ash
-Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo
-Fulltone Clyde Dlx, OCD, '69
-Boss BD-2, CE-5, DD-20, TU-2, RC-2
-MXR Phase 90 & EVH Flanger
-EHX Little Big Muff - Holy Grail - Micro POG
Last edited by KoskineN at Mar 22, 2007,
I've read a lot of artists who talk abut their ESP signatures and they say that the LTD is exact same specs except cheaper. What are the differences between the 2 guitars? What makes the ESP about $1000 more expensive than the LTD?
Quote by red star
because ltd is like epiphone to gibson. they advertise the ltd line as esp ltd so that they sell more

Well I wouldnt say that. Esp are the daddy company, they make the custom models. LTD make the standard models, just NEVER buy one below the 400 series. Not worth the price.
Quote by YYZ
I've read a lot of artists who talk abut their ESP signatures and they say that the LTD is exact same specs except cheaper. What are the differences between the 2 guitars? What makes the ESP about $1000 more expensive than the LTD?

I'm assuming that the craftsmen in Japan are paid more to do a more costly and careful build on the ESP's. It's cheaper to outsource labour to places like South Korea or Indonesia, and that's where they shave a substantial amount of cost.

You're right though, a 400/1000D series will have the same wood and build pattern as a Japan ESP. I know someone who had a custom ESP built for him and he said that he didn't mind paying the extra few thousand to get exactly what he wanted but he could have gotten the same sound and feel out of an LTD.

ESP's a little different than manufacturer's like Ibanez or Fender because they don't offer "true" ESP models under $2000 or so, so really, LTD is just a name to designate a non-Japanese built ESP guitar that is mass produced by cheaper labourers.
Quote by Mr_Dark
LTD = ESP

BUT
LTD = build in Korea
ESP = build in Japan

+1

I hate when people try to say that they are completely separate brands. They are called ESP LTD because they are LTD series of ESP. Just like PRS SE, schecter diamond series, etc. I don't hear people complain that someone is trying to look cool by saying that they have PRS SE, when really they just have an SE. Epiphone and Gibson, Fender and Squire are different because they are different companies. They might be sister companies, meaning that the are heavily associated with one another. Sometimes it is a matter of one company paying for the rights for build a guitar to the same specs as another company and sometimes they have the same owner because one company bought out the other. But they are not the same company, meaning that they do business separately. They have separate management, finances, marketing, etc. They are different companies that is why they have different websites and why if you look on musicians friend they are listed under different brands. Look on the ESP website, there they show all the LTD series guitars. Look up ESP on musicians friend, again there are all the LTD series guitars. With all that said, ESP is trying to make a clear separation between there ESP and ESP LTD series guitars, so that there is some prestige associated with owning an ESP.
Does anyone know if the LTD MH400 requires f-spaced pickups? I thought this would be a good place to ask rtaher than starting a new thread
Quote by Friedmaniac
Umm... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

not at all. The sub 400 ranges use Agathis wood, crappy pickups, and are generally not worth the money at all.

You probably already know this, but up until recently there were some nice sub 400 guitars. I own an MH-301 and it's mahogany and neck-thru. Its LFR has held up just fine and I can't complain one bit about how it sounds(then again, the pickups were replaced with real EMGs).
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
^ I don't think so.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Um, I know so.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
There's are a few good LTD's that are < 400.

Eg. The FX260
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
ok The only good LTDs are 300 series and above. Anything that starts with a 2 a 1 or only has 2 digits is junk so your 50s and 100s and 250s or 260s are crap. The 300 guitars are nice but discontinued the 400 models are very nice and the 1000s almost as good as an ESP
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Cecil Gonzales
How do the deluxe series LTD's compare to a standard ESP? I was looking at possibly buying this

But at £850 I don't know if I'd be better off looking at the proper ESP range if I'm going to spend that kind of money.

I have that exact guitar, BEAUTIFUL finish, absolutely flawless. The sound and build quality is just amazing, I love it lol. Not as bulky as a Gibson Les Paul either.

Anyway LTD guitars 400+ are definitely nice guitars like everyone has said, just not as high a standard of quality control as the real ESPs.
My LTD KH-602 is pretty basicly as best as you can go as far as hardware goes
Alder
Neck through
OFR
Emgs
etc
the neck is one of the best i've played and the fret access is amazing.. all solidly built aswell.
ive got an ec400at and an ec1000vb, there is a fair difference in the two, of course ones got emg's and ones got seymours but the feel is quite different, i love both
Quote by YYZ

I'm sure craftsmanship falls into it, but the name is probably at the top of that.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
ive got an ltd 400 series h and its the best guitar ive played/ owned, it pwns any gibson ive played, sure im biased somewhat but ltd and esp are awesome companies, for price, quality, and playablity.
Page 1 of 2