are there any good free places online to learn?

or maybe anything to help? anyone here learning/tryed to learn?

i think i'm wanting to move to japan eventually in my life so i'd like to have a basic understanding.
watch anime in english with romanticized japanese subtitles. then watch the same thing in japanese with english subtitles. all day, everyday.

the best place to learn is in a class with a native speaker. community college is awesomeness in cheap form. or find some japanese friends you can help you.
they have like 10alphabets dawg......and my old friend Howard from Taiwan (speaks the language) told me it takes 13****in years to learn it..... so good luck with that my friend

but to answer your question, school would be the answer.....long....long.....LONG....LOOOOOOOOOONG time of school would do the trick...

i personally like the french language, much more to it..
There are some great podcasts to learn Japanese. Search for it in the iTunes store (only get the free ones).
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Chur-reckon.

They have 3 alphabets, or to be more precise, character sets.

Hiragana, which is for writing Japanese words. They have all the vowels, and then syllables.

Katakana, which is for writing foreign words and for emphasis. This is the same deal as Hiragana, but the characters are different in most cases.

And then there is Kanji, where each character symbolizes a word. Newspapers are written in Kanji, but learning Japanese, you need Hiragana more than Katakana, and Katakana more than Kanji.
That probably won't help, but if you're learning to write stuff, then yeah.
i am majoring in japanese at school and trust me unless your really committed don't bother. the grammer is very complex and there are three alphabets; hiragana, katakana, and kanji. there are 70 hiragana and katakana characters. kanji are chinese characters that used in the place of hiragana.

hiragana is the traditional japanese alphabet. katakana is used to take foreign words and assimilate them into japanese. the grammer system is exactly like korean, if that helps. i wouldnt recommend trying to learn on your own. have both a native speaker and someone who has learned it as a secondary language. native speakers speak much differently than people who learn it as a second language. its gonna be really hard and frustrating but if u sitll want to do it good luck
Quote by fallingforever
the grammer is very complex

I'm surprised that you're doing Japanese given that you haven't quite mastered English....
Quote by Daedelus
are there any good free places online to learn?

or maybe anything to help? anyone here learning/tryed to learn?

i think i'm wanting to move to japan eventually in my life so i'd like to have a basic understanding.

You could probably access Rosetta Stone through your Library. I didn't check where you lived but thats possible. I'm studying Arabic write now and I love it. Give it a try. Finding anything for free is rough but that might work for ya