what is the best amp with a wide range of rock sounds... from heavy metal to the classic stuff. for around $100 dollars?
Yea, that Epi is good. A Vox Valvetronix is probably the second best, although it's more versatile.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Moved.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by RPotts
Yea, that Epi is good. A Vox Valvetronix is probably the second best, although it's more versatile.

also more expensive.
Changed signature after 4 years.

Will take some time to make a new one.
Cant go wrong with the Valve JR theres even simple mods you can get to add more gain, reverb etc on ebay for less then $30 and install quickly
If you don't want something outrageously heavy, the 7-100 can do, albeit quietly, the classic rock sound. roll off the volume on the guitar, and you have jazz. Crank, you have hard rock.

Seriously, i love this thing.

But the VJ is probably better for anything above portable travel.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Versatility is gonna be a tough thing to get with only $100. Personally I would go with an Epi Valve Junior and an overdrive pedal (which would more than your budget). But if you are going that route you can afford a Microcube, or maybe even a Vox AD15. So basically - there is nothing decent with any sort of versatility you can get for $100. Step it up to $150 - $200, and you will begin to have a couple options.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by Got2MuchGear
Cant go wrong with the Valve JR theres even simple mods you can get to add more gain, reverb etc on ebay for less then $30 and install quickly

Reverb for <$30.

Maybe from a Danelectro pedal...