Page 1 of 2
looking at a couple guitars, and wanted to see if there are any owners around or people that have played them that could give me an opinion. I'm interested in:
  • Jackson SL2H
  • Washburn Boogiebolt II

Main concerns:

1. is the 8170 a lower end version of the J? I notice it doesn't have a lot of the little details that make the J's so unique. (ie, flame fret binding, offset inlays, matching headstock). Is the 8170 worth the extra cash over something like a high end prestige? What's a good price for this guitar if you have an idea.

2. how comparable are the necks on the Soloist and the RG? I would like a profile that is simliar to the RG but maybe a touch thicker. Overall craftsmenship and attention to little details? Again, what's a good price on a used mint SL2H?

3. Is the boogiebolt worth the cash if I was buying new? Schaler LFR and Dimebucker cause me some apprehension. Why not an OFR and 500XL on a 1.3k+ guitar. The little details bother me too, like is it using metal hum rings or plastic? They looked plastic in the pics I saw, but it's hard to tell. I love the look of the thing, but I'm worried about playability too. How is the fret access, and holding it with the odd shape if I'm not using a strap.

Thanks for any info
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
2. Jackson Soloist necks are a hair thicker than Ibanez Wizards. I found them to fit my hand better. A used SL2 should run from ~1000-1500 depending on the condition.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
thanks man. That's what I'm kind of looking for too.

How do you find the quality and craftsmenship, like attention to little details? It looks like a great guitar, and I assume they sound just as good as they look. Thanks for the price range too, so I assume a mint condition hitting close to 1500 isn't a horrible deal then.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
the ML shape is probably the most comfortable shape to play sitting down. your leg fits perfectly into that part where the horn and v meet, like a super strat. dime used schallers while with washburn, if that tells you anything. and your question to "Why not an OFR and 500XL on a 1.3k+ guitar" ask dean, im sure they can help you there. as for the metal rings, no idea there.

and did you give eric from boogie street a call?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
hey austin, whatup man. I emailed him again, he replied he was driving into BSG, and would answer me in detail.

ask dean, im sure they can help you there

what does that mean? is there some kind of licensing issue?
amp clips
amp vids
no, they are charging alot of money for a cheaper LFR and a dimebucker, and nt even a good neck pup.

but the .002 cents of electrical tape is so worth it

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
the jackson neck felt a bit bigger and rounder than the ibanez necks ive played (wizard 2s i think) but its still really thin compared to other guitars. i only played lower end ibanez guitars with the thin necks so I cant say much about which company has better attention to detail. still, if a guitar is a high end model and made in japan itll be pretty damn good quality.

o ya, its good to see that score of 9 on the GAS test wasnt total BS hahahaha
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
thanks man. I think it's more between the SL2H T and the J Custom now. I like the bb, but I don't know enough about it. Still a sick looking guitar though. The SL2 is looking like the favorite at this point, I think I could easily adapt to the Jackson from the Ibanez. I've gotten used to an older C-1 FR Schecter neck, and it's a baseball bat compared to the Ibanez.

lol, yeah, G.A.S. is no joke!
amp clips
amp vids
decisions eric. . . .

or

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by nephi
dont get the SL2H. please.

bad experience with one, or just don't like how they look/feel?
amp clips
amp vids
the feel.. and the tone.. Well, it really depends on the kind of music you're playing.. I just don't really appreciate it.. but other people might.
^_^
My vote's for the... Soloist. Didn't see that coming?

The neck profile's right up your alley (although it's painted), and it's alder, so something different to add to your garage. One really has to get a hold of one to see just how well everything on it comes together. I had some time with one a few months ago, and it felt like it's worth the money (which is a price of a good Ford Focus north of the border ). Pickups might be not all that, but as you're no stranger to the soldering gun, it won't be too much of an issue?

The 8170 would run around $1400-1500 if you're lucky to find one. I see them pop up on ebay ever so often, but at that price point it doesn't get me all hot and bothered (neither do any JCs, really).
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Very interesting, I was kind of afraid of that with the Ibby. The one I was considering was right at the $1400 mark too, so that sounds exactly right. For half the price, I've seen the RG3120 Prestige on the bay, and I don't know if there is twice the guitar there? The Soloist I was considering is near the same price, however it's been upgraded in a couple areas. Thanks for the feedback man.
amp clips
amp vids
I'm not really keen on JCs. They've always seemed a bit too decorative. People will say that they're better made, have more features, and whatnot, but really - you get an Edge Pro, and a Prestige Wizard, mahogany body, and three sixty-a-pop Dimarzios, and occasionally a very expensive body job all coming from Fujigen. I personally never tried one, but somehow I don't see it playing better than a similarly-specced Prestige. To me, it would be the kind of guitar I'd be afraid to touch, as I might - god forbid - scratch it or something.

3120, now that I'd hit. Very fair prices on them too.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Well Schaller LFR's are considered as good as/better (in some cases) that OFRs so it's not a bad buy but the Dimebucker can be replaced, if not I'm sure the Ibanez will fullfill needs the tremolo's on Ibanezes are great the pickups should be good. . I think J customs have proper DiMarzio's on right?
OMG i have such bad G.A.S....i just bought a marshall valvestate head because it was only $100

i know that was random but i hoped you guys would understand
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
i've never heard of schlar before. any clue where i could get a guitar with one?

Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by pifty
I'm not really keen on JCs. They've always seemed a bit too decorative. People will say that they're better made, have more features, and whatnot, but really - you get an Edge Pro, and a Prestige Wizard, mahogany body, and three sixty-a-pop Dimarzios, and occasionally a very expensive body job all coming from Fujigen. I personally never tried one, but somehow I don't see it playing better than a similarly-specced Prestige. To me, it would be the kind of guitar I'd be afraid to touch, as I might - god forbid - scratch it or something.

3120, now that I'd hit. Very fair prices on them too.

yeah, I'm thinking the JC might be too much just a status thing. A well setup 3120 would probably play just as well. Tough decision.

Quote by Punk_Ninja
Well Schaller LFR's are considered as good as/better (in some cases) that OFRs so it's not a bad buy but the Dimebucker can be replaced, if not I'm sure the Ibanez will fullfill needs the tremolo's on Ibanezes are great the pickups should be good. . I think J customs have proper DiMarzio's on right?

yeah, I've heard that too, just never used one. Never tried a Dimebucker either, but everyone on the forums says they suck, so I'm a little suspicious, lol. The J has a TZ/Velvet/AN stock, so it's loaded. I'm not a huge Dim user though, so I would probably switch them anyway. The one downside on the J for replacements is the cavities themselves. They have a triangle indent for Dims instead of the regular square dogears. I'm really liking the Boogiebolt, just a lot of people are telling me it's not worth the price. The 22 frets is a little annoying too. I also wish I could see them in person. I'm afraid the abalone bolt and fret inlays will just be too much looking squarely from the front.

Quote by shredhead22
OMG i have such bad G.A.S....i just bought a marshall valvestate head because it was only $100

i know that was random but i hoped you guys would understand

lol, you're not alone man.

Quote by Zakk_Wylde001
Schlar make REALLY good Floyds, you don't need to worry about it. Just fyi
that's what I've been hearing from people. Did Dime actually use a Schaler? He beat the crap out of it, so that's good if he used one.

Quote by tubab0y
i've never heard of schlar before. any clue where i could get a guitar with one?

seriously though, any experience with one?

Has anyone gotten a chance to actually play one of these Boogiebolts? I've played a J, and it was just a very nice playing axe. I'm a little concerned that the Boogiebolt won't have the same playability.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503

that's what I've been hearing from people. Did Dime actually use a Schaler? He beat the crap out of it, so that's good if he used one.

dime used schaller. he pretty much used the USA dimes, no change at all 9they came with the Bl Xl500 or whatever it is)
as for seeing one, ro palying one, i would hit the BS forum, or washburn forum for that information. i dont think anyone here has played one.

Quote by steven seagull
Schallers have got to be the mose expensive LFRs out there (more so than Edges). I didn't have long term experience with one, but a buddy of mine has an 80s westone with a schaller retrofitted in it, and the bridge feels precise and tight in a good way. I wouldn't worry about quality, Caparisons have them stock, and if my memory serves, Schaller used to make OFRs for Floyd Rose.

Ahh, G.A.S. Why not just go on a whim and get something entirely different? There are these sexy thin Sabers...
I haven't tried this year's (or whatever year's those ones are, maybe they're from 2 years ago) j customs, but I thought the rg8670 was nicer than the 8570 when I tried them. It had upgrades like ebony fretboard and stuff like that, though.

At that kind of money I'd be seriously considering custom build as well, but maybe they aren't as dear in the USA.

Schaller FR's are considered to be similar quality to OFR's, however they feel a bit stiffer in my (limited) experience.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by pifty
Schallers have got to be the mose expensive LFRs out there (more so than Edges). I didn't have long term experience with one, but a buddy of mine has an 80s westone with a schaller retrofitted in it, and the bridge feels precise and tight in a good way. I wouldn't worry about quality, Caparisons have them stock, and if my memory serves, Schaller used to make OFRs for Floyd Rose.

Ahh, G.A.S. Why not just go on a whim and get something entirely different? There are these sexy thin Sabers...

cool, I know they wouldn't use junk on a Caparison. I've checked out a couple sabers, but they seem pretty rare. Anything to keep an eye out for, like are there certain models that are top of the line?

Quote by Dave_Mc
I haven't tried this year's (or whatever year's those ones are, maybe they're from 2 years ago) j customs, but I thought the rg8670 was nicer than the 8570 when I tried them. It had upgrades like ebony fretboard and stuff like that, though.

At that kind of money I'd be seriously considering custom build as well, but maybe they aren't as dear in the USA.

Schaller FR's are considered to be similar quality to OFR's, however they feel a bit stiffer in my (limited) experience.

Thanks Dave. The Ibby I'm looking at is a 8170, so it's probably got less frills then the one you were looking at even. No ebony, binding on only the body, no offset inlays, no matching headstock, and it looked like a regular 5 piece maple/walnut neck too. Just looked like an upgrade 1570 to be honest. For the price, I was expecting a bit more.

I'm kind of leaning to the Boogiebolt at this point oddly enough, although everyone keeps telling me I'm crazy. I'm not fussed about spending that much for a Korean import however.

What kind of custom do you think I could get for the max $1500USD range? They are dear here too, the ones that I really liked though were at least in the $2k+ range. Any makers you know of I should check out? The only thing that worries me about the customs, like the bb, is the resale. I like to know the guitar is an investment if my styles change or something unforseeable comes up. It seems like such a niche market for these guitars, I wouldn't want to get raped if I had to sell for whatever reason down the road.
amp clips
amp vids
^ I'm not too well up on custom makers in the USA, unfortunately. Ran seem pretty good value (based in poland), there's a long wait though. And you'd probably have to pay customs. I have a custom legra ordered, it should be here soon, but I'm guessing it'd be well over budget... you could probably get something with not too high a spec (good woods and hardware etc., but not too much flash/cosmetics) for around $2000, but again you'd have to add postage and customs which I don't really have to worry about too much (postage is maybe £25 to northern ireland, lol, and no customs).

that 8170, from memory, doesn't have as good a spec as the j-customs I tried- the previous year's ones I did try had ebony boards on the higher model, 5-piece maple/bubinga neck, flame maple binding on the neck, asymmetrical neck profile, etc. It was obvious it was a higher plane of craftsmanship to the prestiges, basically. Though, I wasn't all that fussed with the 8570 (the equivalent model to the 8170- the one I liked was the equivalent model to the 8270), it didn't feel all that much better than a prestige, though to be fair the models I did try of it weren't well set-up at all. But the 8670 I did try was awesome, absolutely kick-ass.

resale is a problem with custom guitars, I guess. doesn't worry me, I won't sell it (unless something really drastic happens), but as you said it's worth keeping in mind if you aren't certain that your tastes won't change.

I haven't tried or seen that washburn, I don't know about that...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Erock503
I'm kind of leaning to the Boogiebolt at this point oddly enough, although everyone keeps telling me I'm crazy. I'm not fussed about spending that much for a Korean import however.

You're crazy.

Quote by Erock503
cool, I know they wouldn't use junk on a Caparison. I've checked out a couple sabers, but they seem pretty rare. Anything to keep an eye out for, like are there certain models that are top of the line?

Sabers, until around 98-99, really came only in one flavour - 540 (and 470 as a budget variant of). The features were pretty much the same too - 22 fret Wizard, HSS on early models (HSH on later), solid finishes (although not plain) or FM tops in assortment of colours, Edge or LoPro (mostly the latter). The thing is, for $600 you can amost certainly buy a mint S540. With case candy and all the bells and whistles. That's the only way I'd recommend getting a Wizard edition, as you don't want to take chances with used 17mm one-piece necks. Any of the Japanese prestige models (98-04) are definitely worth it, especially the ones with laminated necks. I wouldn't tell you off the bat which ones those are, but any 15xx and 25xx series should have them.

Consider them, they ain't exactly your average pointy superstrat, but they're awesome player guitars.
update? you wernt on AIM last night

Quote by steven seagull
thanks for the info pifty and Dave.

no update yet, I've got a couple more days to decide if I want the Ibanez. I'm also talking to a guy about a new soloist, but it's sounding pretty high for my price range. So, no decisions yet. I'll make sure I update this thread though, something is coming.

Tuba, I'll be on AIM tonight.
amp clips
amp vids
^alright, no guarantees that ill be on. . .

but ill try.

Quote by steven seagull
heres a boogiestreet cross.

no bolts up on ebay yet
bam!

USA dime stealth, out of your range though

you may dig this, its a USA N4, however, the body is a bit smaller than a normal super strat body. . .
old N4

Quote by steven seagull
Last edited by tubadude at Mar 27, 2007,
erock, hope you end up with a kick-ass guitar.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^no not yet. hes looking at another guitar that will end on friday(?) on ebay. and yea. . ..

Quote by steven seagull
hey guys, just an update. Found a guitar I couldn't pass up. I went with a Jackson Soloist, SL2H-MAH. Mahogany quartersawn neck thru, mahog body, ebony board, flame maple cap. Here's a little pic. Thanks for all the advice and help guys, much appreciated.

amp clips
amp vids
*blows load all over my own face*

...hawt.

Hows it play? Like a babies bum?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

Won't know for a couple days, but I'm assuming well. It's brand new, so no one elses grubby mitts have been on it, haha. So now pup choices.

Leave the SD JB/59 in there
put my EMG 81/89 combo in there
put my black and creme zebra BK miracle man calibrated set in it.
amp clips
amp vids
*drool*

Nice guitar man, how much was it?

EDIT: Well, I LOVE Bareknuckles, so that's what I'd put in there....
Either leave it or put the BK's in. Ive never tried the BK's though, i just think the zebra bit would look cool.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

Page 1 of 2