who do you guys reckon is the best bassist ever? (hence the title)
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta
I would have to Say Bob. From the little know band "The Loose Shoes". Find them on Myspace. They're awesome.

I don't know his last name. We just call him Bob the Bassist.
Bass player from Rancid but i never really look at many bassists he just stood out bcause he was playing something that looked difficult.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
victor wooten..lol hes a champ..or les claypool...probably les claypool but victor is pretty cool...
me.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Les Claypool
Flea
Bootsy Collins
Geedy Lee
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Matt Freeman of Rancid, also played some awesome bass lines in Operation Ivy
EDIT: Also Any Flag on the first Anti-Flag album, killer bass
Last edited by Rancid_Punk at Mar 22, 2007,
flea or billy sheenan
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs
I've been raised on the three John's: Entwistle, Paul Jones, and Francis Pastorius III. However, the only bass player to play exactly what I want to hear all the time is, well, me.

(This may be a bit cynical) Threadstarter, do you really want to know who the best bass player is, or are you trying to start a war/trying to make a very long, popular thread?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
good old victor wooten take this one
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
You show me the BEST technical bassist ever and I'll show you a synthisyzer.

Beyond that, it is naieve to say that. Everybody has a flavor and a soul to them. It is like trying to compare Neil Pert to Jimi Hendrix.

I do have my favorites, but I am not gay for one particular Bassist.
The bassist of fallout boy....

Just kidding.

Charlie Haden or Jaco Pastorius? Well in terms of ability to accompany a song my themselves, maybe them.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
k i really dont know
but i love all these guys

Alex webster
Geezer Butler
Steve Harris
Cliff Burton

theyre all amazing
Quote by Fast_Bear

Beyond that, it is naieve to say that. Everybody has a flavor and a soul to them. It is like trying to compare Neil Pert to Jimi Hendrix.

Never mind posting here get on with your flame o caster
Quote by the dave
hahahahahahaha I laughed so hard I shat a little

Larry 'The Mole' Taylor
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by Fast_Bear

neil pert is a drummer, hendrix is a guitar player and don't make homophobic comments
I shot JR

I do agree that comparing bass players to find out who is the 'best' is a bit much, because there are indeed different styles, but going all PC and saying you can't compare them and the ridiculous 'it's about the feel, not technique' doesn't really do it for me.

Let's take hockey, for example: sure, it isn't really fair to compare a right winger to a goalie, but when it all comes down to it, who would you rather have on your team? Nobody is going to say 'well, they are different, so I can't pick one over the other.' They are different, but you can make a decision and say who you think is (or even who IS) the best. Adam Clayton is not as good as John Entwistle and that's all there is to it.

And yes, a Canadian made a hockey analogy. Deal with it!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
hey sometimes hockey is the only way to get it across and i'd rather have brodeur than peca anyday (though i kind of like peca)
I shot JR

Flea (RHCP) <--- he is not overated!
Stefan Lessard (dave matthews band)
Jaco Pastorius
Me! jk
-Member of the Bass Militia-

My gear:

Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Austin P-Style Bass
Hondo Strat
Digitech RP 100 artist
Crate Bx-25
Crate Gt-15

Quote by RHCP-baSs fan
Flea (RHCP) <--- he is not overated!
Stefan Lessard (dave matthews band)
Jaco Pastorius
Me! jk

when i say me it's not a joke i mean it, though good choices
I shot JR

Quote by thefitz
I do agree that comparing bass players to find out who is the 'best' is a bit much, because there are indeed different styles, but going all PC and saying you can't compare them and the ridiculous 'it's about the feel, not technique' doesn't really do it for me.

Let's take hockey, for example: sure, it isn't really fair to compare a right winger to a goalie, but when it all comes down to it, who would you rather have on your team? Nobody is going to say 'well, they are different, so I can't pick one over the other.' They are different, but you can make a decision and say who you think is (or even who IS) the best. Adam Clayton is not as good as John Entwistle and that's all there is to it.

And yes, a Canadian made a hockey analogy. Deal with it!

Whell this is true. But technical skill is somewhat irelevent. I mean, Jaco, technically was really one of the lower bassist. Yes he could streach his hands out really damn far, but tell me a bassist that can't. (Even though he did have huge hand.) And yes he could shread fingerstyle on fretless. But I can do that the same BPM as he can.

He just had increadble soul and really thouroughly understood the meaning of "music is emotion through sound". He was one of the most soulfull and skilled Bass COMPOSERS ever. However he isn't the best bass player ever.

And concidering things like soul and composition skill is a matter of opinion, you can't really say he, or anyone else is the best, or even better than another bassist.

However you do have your souless Bassist out there that do suck. I do agree with you.
Quote by Fast_Bear

My opinion is so similar to yours that its amazing..

By the way, the first line gave me a good laugh.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by Fast_Bear
Whell this is true. But technical skill is somewhat irelevent. I mean, Jaco, technically was really one of the lower bassist. Yes he could streach his hands out really damn far, but tell me a bassist that can't. (Even though he did have huge hand.) And yes he could shread fingerstyle on fretless. But I can do that the same BPM as he can.

Well, I'll take your word for it, but I think his version of Chromatic Fantasy is the definition of chops. If you can play that song that fast (on fretless, even), then you should be allowed to go outside with no pants on.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Applehead
Mark Hoppus

/thread.

Yeah this thread is bloody pointless... all it boils down to is personal opinion and then the arguments begin.
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
There is no such thing as best. Its all preference. There are all different styles out there. Who is to say one is better than another?
Self-Improvement is Masturbation