I've started a classic style blues hard rock band that plays along the styles of AC/DC, Ted Nugent, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Sabbath. The rhythm parts are all coming together but the problem is the solos. I can't solo for shit. I have the speed and I know how to play the licks...but I don't know how to put a solo together. This is holding me back greatly, I really need help on how to put together a blues type solo. How did everyone here learn how to solo when they first started off?
Learn scales.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
You already mentioned all the perfect examples of blues rock bands, all of which contain some excellent guitar players. Listen to their records and try and pick up stuff. As Dave said, learn scales, such as the pentatonic minor and major.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Arpeggiate your scales. Play the 1st,3rd,5th (and 7th if you want) of the scales over as many octaves and positions as you can. Then do the 2nd, 4th, 6th. Then the 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc, etc - through the modes, basically - and do this until you know them as intuitively as your scales - and modify them for the pentatonic or whichever scale you're using.
Of course, if you're doing this for rock, you may want to approach it from a chordal perspective, especially if you're working with a lot of altered chords - I just find working them as modes sits better for me.
Doing this will help you learn intuitively where the chord tones are for what ever you are playing and eventually you won't have to think about where the really strong notes are.
As for other things... learn other solos - work out what they're doing and steal any motifs (little phrases, ideas that are repeated, etc) that you like or you reckon you could work with, and build on them.
Also, take two licks - taking ones that are different in style, like one from BB King and one from SRV, works well - and work them together. Alter them, work out something that can connect them, whatever, but find a way of playing them one after the other so they sound good. Then do 3. Then 4. All of a sudden you've got a 4 bar phrase to bust out whenever you like.

So: arpeggiate your scales/chords. It'll help you a lot when your playing starts to open up. In the meantime, find motifs and use them as building blocks, and string licks together to create longer phrases.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
Scales are a small part in becoming a great soloist, dont rely on them. In order to get the "feel" that a soloist should have, it takes a good amount of practice on slower more drawn out solos. That is where id start, dont get ahead of yourself.
"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
-Emiliano Zapata
Along with the technical know-how and such, it just takes a lot of time building up your ear for a solo. Download some backing tracks in different keys and just solo over them for a little while. Eventually, you'll be able to intuitively go, "Hey, these notes should sound good right here."
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Double stops, I think thats what they're called...like for example in Am

e|----
B|----
G|-5~--
D|-5~-
A|----
E|----

e|----
B|----
G|-7~--
D|-7~-
A|----
E|----

e|-----
B|----8-
G|--- 7b
D|-----
A|-----
E|-----

Stuff like that makes it sound more...ballsy?
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Okay, talk through your guitar, make it cry, make it yell, make the fucker scream, your best chord prog. for that kind of music is E, D, A with the ocasional G, the best "blusey/hard rock" sound to go with it is probally the Pentatonic A Blues. Learn the WHOLE scale and not just one one part, then just mess around, it will come to you.