hey all, my newest project right now is to learn how to play the crazy train solo (yes, it's very hard for me).

i'm kinda new to hammer on and pull offs, so can any of you direct me to a song, which has an easy hammer-on-pull-off solo, which i can use as a backing ground, before i head onto my main project?
Muse's Deadstar has a repeated hammer on pull of solo it's not really complex but i find it helps to get the overall sound right, there are probably quite a few better examples but hey, it's one i like doing
back in black - acdc
walk this way - aerosmith
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
If you're into crazy train I would suggest some metal songs... The opening solo in Fade to Black perhaps. I actually practice pull offs with a metronome, just trying to do it in 4/4 time with each finger. If you learn better with songs though then yeah, look up what has been suggested here. Good Luck!
^ thanks.

hey, Rustic, about that aerosmith....do you mean the solo's or the mainriff?
The Widow by The Mars Volta has a pretty easy hammer on/pull off solo. Its only four notes, but it will get your fingers working
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
^ Hey, a question about hammer ons...thing is that when i pull off a note, it often just rings as an open string afterwards...how do i stop that?
layla (electric) might help you a bit. also try playing your riffs w/o distortion and on accoustic if you have one. def on an accoustic will help your playing.

haha yeh anything by mars volta should set you on the path to hammer-on p/off king
Quote by zwound
^ Hey, a question about hammer ons...thing is that when i pull off a note, it often just rings as an open string afterwards...how do i stop that?

Do you have another note below it fretted?

If you have a killswitch, Jordan by Buckethead is all hammers and pulls...No picking at all...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by zwound
^ thanks.

hey, Rustic, about that aerosmith....do you mean the solo's or the mainriff?

solos. but i guess you could play the main too.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
thats just your action in coming off the string, you need to be more smoother so as to not prick the string when coming off as opposed to a pull off where you try to prick the string as much as possible.

that kinda stuff will just get better the more you play (the cleaner you become), try to deaden the string after you hit it with remaining fingers or your palm (on the bridge), you only need to lightly touch/brush the string

another piece you can look at would be sultans of swing (outtro trill bit), i use my palm when playing that one to snuff out that ring on the B string (don't get the impression i can play it tho!)

i never consciously practiced hammers p/offs, just play them as much as possible when jamming/improvising and you'll just get better. (sorry if this post was too long)
i recommend "the metal" by tenacious d. really fun to play and pretty easy once you figure it all out.
Thunderstruck by Acdc
Gear
Custom Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic
VK 112
Epi VJ
EHX Holy Grail
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Modded Tubescreamer TS7 -> TS-808
Strat Knockoff
cemetary gates solo has some interesting ones that move down the neck