Page 1 of 2
When did you first started playing guitar(meaning what age ) ,how much experience do you have and do you see yourself the next guitar god...just joking!!!!(you never can know... ), I've played guitar since i was 9 but then again i didn't enjoy it since my teacher only taught me pretty lame things so i gave up the whole thing ,at the age of 16 some friends shared with me the magic of rock music and after a while i rediscovered my guitar and started playing,at the age 18 i bought an electric-accoustic guitar(an ovation celebrity that looks like a turtle ) and 1 year later my first electric,from 18-20 i was serving my country in the army and even though i took it sometimes with me(my senior officers didn't seem to like it as i was making a hell of a noice ) only now that i am 21 am i able to play the proper amount of time i like,this is pretty much the story of my life!!whats yours????
Went over a friend's house and and noticed she had an electric guitar then I fooled around with it, the distortion was pretty addicting to me at the time. I was 14.

Then I went back home and told my parents i'm starting guitar, got a $300 Acoustic-Electric guitar for starters, then played that for like 9 months, now I have my ESP LTD M-100 FM, now I'm 15.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
...I played the organ for seven years, then went to digital music and bought a guitar when I was like, 17, because guitars are hard to recreate digitally, and then because Daft Punk was a fan of Led Zeppelin I listened to Led Zeppelin and fell in love and I've ditched digital music for rock because it's so awesome. My first guitar is still my own, be it extremely modded, and I play like a bitch. Hm. I'm almost 19 now.

Remember this, because in a year or two I'll be rocking some venue near your place and you'll be like wow that guy is soooo cool. Didn't he post on UG once? And the guy next to you will be like yeaahhhhhhh
erm i started playing cello when i was 10 - did that for 2 years
then i guess i started guitar at about 12 when i moved house/county
so 3-4 years or so
I've only played guitar when I was 15 and started on an acoustic - electric...
was a bit bored but kept good pace and practiced for around a good 4hrs to 6hrs a day,
depending on what was my schedule at the day, then I've discovered Thrash and basically
learned the first band I listened to Thrash (Metallica) and tackled the intro of
Master of Puppets, at that time I playing for around about a good 9 months then basically
concentrated my energy on guitar playing...

when I've gotten my first electric (RJ Shark) was the beginning of a more serious take on
electric guitar...

by the way I'm 17 now and still concentrating my efforts on playing electric...

well started playing guitar when i was in year 5 so i must of been 10 and now im in my 6th year, so i have been playing for 6 years
i first started playin my friends 3/4 guitar [its onle like 3/4 the size of a real one] and that was an acoustic. And then not last but the year before, on Christmas i got an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. So i guess you could say I've been playin guitar for about 2 and a half yrs.
I played piano from age 4-11, when i got my grandpa's old acoustic guitar and quit piano 'cause my teacher was teaching me stupid songs and i hated it. I messed around with my acoustic, learned a few songs, but i didn't play much until i got my electric last July. So, it's been 7.75 months. xD
i goofed off with a friends electric and then came home and found an old half-size acousic laying around and i starting learning the usuals, smoke on the water, iron man and the such... i was probly 12 going on 13 then, ill be 15 this summer and in my 2 and a half years of experience ive gotten pretty good cause i kept getting pwned by an online buddy of mine who was a total shredder and that pushed me to practice as much as 8 or 10 hours some days

EDIT: oh and i started out on upright bass in orchestra in 4th grade when i was about 10 and now i TOTALLY pwn at electric bass
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
I got given my first guitar for Christmas '92, I was 10. I started having proper lessons when I was 14, mainly blues and classical on accoustic. I got taught proper technique, and learned to sightread for guitar, but I don't think I was specially good. I stopped having lessons when I was 16, and a year later was in a band who relegated me to playing bass because I didn't really know how to play electric (fingerpicking classical guitar is actually pretty good preperation for bass). After I finished high school, I pretty much stopped playing, forgot how to play in fact, my fingers just froze up, lost all my technique, all my speed.

When I was 22 I took my old accoustic back to college with me, started playing my old repetoire, I was pleased to discover I can still sightread. The last 5 months or so I've been working really hard on actually getting good, I'm 24, been playing since I was 10, and only just starting to "get it". Like I can sit down now for an hour, and just improv blues around sliding bar chord shapes and bits of blues scale. (see sig). All last year I had access to my housemates SG, then my brother's strat over summer, need my own electric now, hopefully getting a cheap Fender copy (strat or Tele) and an Epiphone Valve Junior.

What got me really back into playing was volunteering to be a roadie/manager for my brother's band. I spent my summer hanging out with musicians, arranging rehearsals, driving gear around, making calls, even found them a producer for when we can afford studio time. Now I want to be in a band too, and damnit I am going to get good enough.

Just need to find the right crossroads to get a guitar lesson from the devil.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Last edited by Cosimo_Zaretti at Mar 22, 2007,
ive only been playing for 2 years never even liked rock music ( ill admit i used to listen to rap) but now i cant get enough of it, im constantly listening to all types of rock from the beatles to metalica. i play every day 2 hours a day 5-6 hours on a sunday.
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
my dad's always played. got my first real guitar at 12, didn't really get into it too seriously for a couple of years. i'll be 33 this fall. should be better than i am b/c i'm self taught so i don't have the knowledge. (dad moved after he and mom divorced, i was 9.) never learned much theory, can't read sheet music, tab frustrates me cause it takes too long to read when usually i can figure out what i need to by ear pretty quick. th theory thing, i can usually figure out and play whatever i want to but i don't know how to tell anyone what i'm doing other than the key and i know the number system (but not what to call it.)
\m/(>_<\m/
ROCK ON!!

Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Twin Reverb II 105 Watts
Takamine EG-330 cutaway elec/acoustic
Ibanez Demon Wah Pedal
Various Effect Pedals
I picked up my first guitar when I was 17, just because I had always wanted to try it. It was an electric, loaned to me by my friend. I have played every single day since then, most of the times at least an hour a day. I'm 19 now. Been played for roughly 2 years, more like a year and 8 months or so.
started at like 12. music teacher in middle school taught me some kreator. i loved that shit. 17 now, so thats likes 5 years. im pretty experienced but if i could go back i would have practiced a lot more the first 2 years. I don't want to be a rock god, rock is dead, unless you bust nuts over nickleback and hinder and gay shit.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Last edited by BrokenBricks at Mar 22, 2007,
Started in august of 2006 at age of 17, experience? im in a band, we do ac/dc, hendrix, solo brian may our own stuff and we've scabbed a record deal from virgin, which is pretty cool, i play for like 7 hours a day, so im pretty experienced.

do i see myself as the next rock god? yeah, too right. if i dont believe im gonna be then who the hell else will?
Hm... Played for 6ish, and played *seriously* for 5.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
i started playing last summer...and honestly...i can play like everything. i just learend no boundaries about 2 weeks ago and started learning far beyond the sun yesterday after i learned cemetary gates. bi-ah! i see myself as the next rock god...the way ive progressed. i taught myself to play all of that, with my teeth, behind my head, nad even upside down....so yeah....i do.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Started when I was 10, going on 7 years now and its pretty awesome and when i think back dude i had the time of my life even though i just picked it up, and sucked, but theres allways this time where your like a half a year in and you know you suck but you dont give up lol
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger
Quote by BrokenBricks
I don't want to be a rock god, rock is dead

Rock not dead we alive!

- the rest of UGs posters
My uncle has played all his life. He bought me my first guitar, a Fender Tele which I still have when I was 17. That was February of 1989. I was in bands throughout college. Now I just play at home. Sometimes my buddies come over and play.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo Head
Mesa 412 slant cab
Monster Power Pro 2500 Power Conditioner
TC Electronic G-Force
SKG Rack Case
Yamaha acoustic
idk...i personally think our generation of guitarists is gonna crush the emo/punk movement. our idels range from zepplin to motley crue to iron maiden to guns n roses pantera. our stlye is mixed with everything. basicly your gonna have people that are the decendants of blues, thrash, glam, and all of it. the shredders will be vital, the poeple that play the paul gilbert and yngwie stuff. i mean i dont know any serious guitarist that likes emo/new fake punk stuff or nu metal. most of the serious guitarists are either blues or thrash. i think its gonna be interesting to see what our generation is gonna belt out.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
Quote by bi-ah!
idk...i personally think our generation of guitarists is gonna crush the emo/punk movement. our idels range from zepplin to motley crue to iron maiden to guns n roses pantera. our stlye is mixed with everything. basicly your gonna have people that are the decendants of blues, thrash, glam, and all of it. the shredders will be vital, the poeple that play the paul gilbert and yngwie stuff. i mean i dont know any serious guitarist that likes emo/new fake punk stuff or nu metal. most of the serious guitarists are either blues or thrash. i think its gonna be interesting to see what our generation is gonna belt out.

your previous post was worthless
this one kindof raises a good question

altho i disagree on the shredding being the future thing. eventually, harmony/melody will prevail over playing fast.
you can see that with led zeppelin; on the first album page's solo's are all fast and show-offy but you see that throughout the albums the songs as well as the solo's get less speed-driven and more musical.

ofc the way page created energy with the solo's of the first album is overwhelmingly awesome but still ^^
dragonforce =speed+harmony
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
Started playing piano when I was 6 or 7. Did that for a couple of years but didn't like it because I felt like I was being forced fed...flash forward...now I'm 30 picked up my first acoustic last year, and making up for all the years of missed opportunity. Wish I had kept up with it, I wonder what I did instead...oh yeah I did tae kwon do and iaido!! At least I can beat the sh!t out of anyone who doesn't like my playing!
I started playing at 13, im turning 16 in 2 months now, so its been a while. Ive played music all my life with piano, trumpet, etc etc.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
imo dragonforce>zeppelin
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
Quote by bornfidelity
Rock not dead we alive!

- the rest of UGs posters

+3

My parents did not like me as a musician,so I was forced to study.But I did listen to rock music from age of 10 to 20.I was thinking to be an electric guitar player from 13 to 20 and I really love Ritchie God Blackmore and JS.
Now I'm 29 and playing guitar from 20.
i started at the age of 13, taught myself from knowing how to play the piano since the age of 6, theory and all that stuff is easy to apply to guitar. i have been playing for 27 years (yeah, i am *$#@** old!) i realized about 20 years ago that shredding and wanking can only get other guys to worship you, and i've always enjoyed a room full of screaming girls as opposed to a room of screaming dudes. when i was 18 , i was playing in blues clubs with a bunch of older cats that took me under their wing. i learned how to do a lot more listening than playing, being that i had to learn the difference between a kansas city shuffle, a new orleans backbeat, a memphis groove and whatever in between. i was playing with a lot of older, well seasoned musicians that taught me a lot of things, and there is certainly an extreme level of satisfaction i experience when i collaborate and jam with other fellow musicians. these guys don't let you get away with jack, so i had to put my ego aside, learn how to do blistering solos, but also learn when to not play, when to turn down, and play a simple ass rhythm for hours on end. i am a chameleon, and a serious rocker at heart, i love playing heavy, full throttle rock and roll at severe ear bleeding levels, but i also have just as much fun playing a funky rhythm on the one all night long using my tele plugged into my '68 fender bronco. in my 27 years of experience, i will only take a gig if it is fun, i don't care how much it pays, and in the long run, i end up getting hired for blues, country, pop, reggae, metal, jazz, whatever. i stopped doing so much wanking and just started paying attention and doing a lot of listening a long time ago, and in the long run, it is so much worth it. am i a guitar god? hell no, i am a musician that can play anything at anytime with no excuses. you wanna jam?
^too much to read.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
I started when I was about 8 or 9 when my dad taught me this old country picking stuff on this old acoustic I used. I have been playing electric sense November '05. Im 13 now.
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
Quote by guitarkid7
I started when I was about 8 or 9 when my dad taught me this old country picking stuff on this old acoustic I used. I have been playing electric sense November '05. Im 13 now.

Well done you young guitarist.Keep going and never give up.
Cheers...
Quote by emad
Well done you young guitarist.Keep going and never give up.
Cheers...

Alright, thanks! When I first registered on here I thought everyone would be 13, 14 or 15 but then found out people posting in their 20's.
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
i started playing guitar when i was about 7-8 ish... i never really had a guitar of my own till i was 15. now i'm 17.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I started playing when i was 16, now 17, been playing for 7 months and i love it, I practice loads and am getting pretty good considering how long i've been playing, however i cannot play acoustic guitar to save my life (unless it's just open chords). Got a starter kit from wesley to start with, now i've got myself an Ibanez RG370DX, which i love! next thing to get would be a decent amp, can't wait!
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Johnnymojo666 said:
"so i had to put my ego aside, learn how to do blistering solos, but also learn when to not play, when to turn down, and play a simple ass rhythm for hours on end."

Dude you are absolutely right on this one!!!!,totally agree with you,thats part of being a good musician afterall
Started when I was about 11/12? I'm turning 15 in a couple of months so I've been playing for about 2-3 years or so...

But quite frankly, I have REALLY only been practicing for about 4 months now.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Page 1 of 2