Hm. Why do Fender guitars have one string tree where Squiers have two? (under the D & G string as well). I thought strings strees had to do with the angle of the nut and the headstock.

Besides, are there 'preferred' heights for the string trees? I took them out once for painting the headstock and sometimes strings 'twang' at the string trees when I tune them and that can't be good =/
i think the fenders only use one string tee because they realised they didn;t need the second one. I have absolutely no idea why squiers use the second one still.
as for the height, i dont think you can adjust them, as they have a metal cylinder that goes around the screw to show how high they go. i think the twang is the sring catching onto the tee, or perhaps the string sort of becoming embedded into the nut, and dislodging it causes the twang
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
Quote by 69 Tele
Fenders after 1970 have 2 string trees.

O_O
then my music store has a looooooot of mint condition vintage fenders for low prices lol
They are probalbly re-issues of the older models. I have two fender originals,
a 1968 Telecaster with one tree and a 1979 Stratocaster with 2 trees.
Quote by 69 Tele
Fenders after 1970 have 2 string trees.

yup my MIA 1989 strat has two trees.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
So after 1970, they changed to two trees. And the current Strat all have one tree again. That's odd?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Forgive the noob question but what's a string tree? I've never heard any part of a guitar reffered to as that before.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
It's a little tree between the nut an the tuners. To hold the strings in the right angle.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Oh right, haven't got that on any of my guitars; must be a Fender thing.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
i thought the string trees helped tuning stability, because my E+B strings never seem to go out of tune, even after extreme whammy wankage, whereas the other strings do go out a bit.
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
Quote by bornfidelity
Hm. Why do Fender guitars have one string tree where Squiers have two? (under the D & G string as well). I thought strings strees had to do with the angle of the nut and the headstock.

LOL

i was thinking the same thing this afternoon while looking at fender/squier guitars in a guitar store lol.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.